British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-11, 10:44 PM
Peter J

Default London Irish - Constituent Metal

Anybody know which metal the blackened (pre-1937??) London Irish badge was made from?

Was it brass/GM?

With thanks,

PJ
Old 24-02-11, 11:30 PM

It was blackened brass/gm.

CB
Old 24-02-11, 11:39 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
It was blackened brass/gm.

CB
Thanks.

PJ
Old 04-03-11, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Anybody know which metal the blackened (pre-1937??) London Irish badge was made from?

Was it brass/GM?

With thanks,

PJ
PJ, note that the blackened version's successor which was white metal was sealed in 1923.

John
Old 04-03-11, 10:39 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
PJ, note that the blackened version's successor which was white metal was sealed in 1923.

John
John,

Thanks for this.

Just looking through my copy of Gaylor, wherein he states that the in 1937, the London Irish became part of the RUR, whereupon the badge changed to W/M.

Was there also a change of badge between 1923 and 1937 as well?

Regards,

Peter.
Old 04-03-11, 11:37 AM

No Peter the same design was worn by other ranks only a change of metals occured according to the records I have seen. I do not know on what basis Gaylor says that the change occured in 1937.

The records I have seen as the National Archives state that.

The white metal version of the other ranks badge was pattern number 3796 it was sealed 16 May 1923. This record can be found in WO359 VOL. 18 p65. The pattern it replaced was identical but in black metal.

Now of course that date of taking the item into use will not be identical to the date it was approved (manufacturing & distribution needs to occur) but it would seem a little odd that 14 years would elapse until the approved pattern was taken into use. Also from the records I have seen that last entry for the black metal version that I know of is the 1920 PVCN where it is item 1188.

John
Old 04-03-11, 11:47 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
No Peter the same design was worn by other ranks only a change of metals occured according to the records I have seen. I do not know on what basis Gaylor says that the change occured in 1937.

The records I have seen as the National Archives state that.

The white metal version of the other ranks badge was pattern number 3796 it was sealed 16 May 1923. This record can be found in WO359 VOL. 18 p65. The pattern it replaced was identical but in black metal.

Now of course that date of taking the item into use will not be identical to the date it was approved (manufacturing & distribution needs to occur) but it would seem a little odd that 14 years would elapse until the approved pattern was taken into use. Also from the records I have seen that last entry for the black metal version that I know of is the 1920 PVCN where it is item 1188.

John
Super stuff, John; many thanks.

Gaylor even has the badge illustrated in Plate 37 of his book (albeit in black and white), with the notes describing it thus:

'18th Bn London Irish (i) 1937-1962.'

Thanks again,

Peter.