British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-08, 11:07 PM

Default 14th Hussars Canadian Officers Badges

Hi all, attached is a scan of my small 14th Hussars Canadian Officers collection. The regiment was established on 1 Aug., 1940 from the 14th Canadian Light Horse. The regiment served in the 2nd Infantry Divison as the 8th Reconnaissance Battalion (14th Canadian Hussars) but wore the 8th Recce badge (I don't have one of these so if anyone has one for sale - let me know!).

I inherited the collar badges, sword and uniforms from a past CO of the regiment over 25 years ago. Unfortunately there were no caps. It took me over 20 years to find a officers hat badge (I don't know why it's so rare.) The large badge is a bit of a mystery. I think it is a sabertasche plate for the colour party. It has 3 screw posts on the back and is marked W.Scully, Montreal. This is the only one I, or any other collector I know has ever seen. If anyone else has seen one, please let me know. i'm also looking for information on this regiments predesesor, the 14th Canadian Light Horse. I'm wondering what the officers badge looked like. If anyone has one please let me know.

Enjoy,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg huss1.jpg (74.8 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by GregN; 12-01-08 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Scarce badges indeed

Scarce badges that you have there Greg. Nice set of badges.
A comment about the large badge, could it be a pouch badge? Hussars traditionally wore a pouch, which was frequently decorated with a badge. With 3 screw posts this could be the purpose of that badge.
Old 12-01-08, 11:58 PM

Could be Bill. The badge is quite tall and I wonder if it might be too big for a cavalry pouch. Does anyone have a example of a pouch for infantry and cavalry to compare?

Greg
Old 13-01-08, 01:34 AM

Default Size?

What are the dimensions of the large badge?
Old 13-01-08, 01:44 AM

Greg... I have seen one just like it... and I think i traded it to you!.. Glad to have helped you complete your set. It looks great...(but my 8th recces I'm going to keep!)
Old 13-01-08, 03:00 AM

Hi Jim! Yep, the hat badge is the one I got from you. Have you got anything else lately?

Greg
Old 13-01-08, 03:12 AM

Hi John, the height is 6.3 cm X 6.3 cm.

Greg
Old 21-01-08, 11:12 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default 14th Canadian Hussars

A very nice badge Greg,I have never seen one and that is strange because the 14th Canadian Hussars other ranks badge is one of the most common of Canadian badges, Nice indeed and thanks for posting it. Ray
Old 02-03-08, 02:08 AM

Default 8 Recce (14CH) South Beveland Holland 1944

Great Nat Archives shot of 8 Recce In Holland.....look at the badge of the guy on the left of the carrier.....
Old 02-03-08, 11:18 PM

Hi Michael, Nice photo. The trooper standing on the left looks to be wearing the badges of the Manitoba Dragoons?

Cheers,

Greg
Old 04-03-08, 10:17 PM

Default 14th CH

Actually Greg...If you blow it up...it is actually the badge of the 14th CH...Interesting HUh?
Old 05-03-08, 07:50 AM

Interesting Michael, could it be that the CLH badge and the VIII Recce badge were worn concurrently?

Mazeas says the 14th Canadian Hussars badge was authorized in 1949, yet when you look in the "red" book, The Regiments and Corps of The Canadian Army - Volume 1 of the Canadian Army List published by the Min. of Nat'l Defence (1964) the title of the regiment changes in 1940 from the 14th Canadian Light Horse to the 14th Canadian Hussars. Sooo, technically both badges could have been worn at the same time. The two badges are so similar though, you would have to find a picture of the 14th CH badge being worn along side the 8th Recce and they would have to be clear enough to see the difference between the bucking horses. We would also have to find definative proof as to when the 14th CH badge was authorized and if it was worn prior to 1949. Interesting.

Greg
Old 20-03-08, 06:42 PM

Greg ... here's your chance at an 8th Recce... cpmil has got 3 up on ebay right now... good luck... your friend.... Jim
Old 20-03-08, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default No Overlay Pattern VIII Recce

The VIII Recce pattern with no overlay is extremely scarce, and seldom seen, as is the pattern with the VIII Recce / Canada overlay. Does anyone have the provenance on these badges?
Old 20-03-08, 10:39 PM

Bill, I'm not saying ANYTHING untill I win one of them!

Greg