British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-08-16, 07:12 PM

Default Sa Wings sealed patterns

I have a friend in South Africa who is seeking information on SA wings, I give below his words out of an email he sent me, as follows:
'I am trying to find the Sealed patterns or art work of the 1st series of South African Para wings. These were from 1960/61. When we became a Republic we cut the Apron strings with Britain, but we never had our own Heraldry department until 1963, so all this was done in England. In SA there is no record of any artwork, art cards or approval. This should all be in England somewhere. I presume that this is kept at the same place that the British sealed pattern badges are kept. I would love to get photo’s of these or even the actual sealed patterns for my research.'
Can anyone help him on this? I have no idea where to suggest he look but knowing how knowledgeable members of the forum are, I am hopeful someone may suggest some avenues we can try.
Fred
Old 13-08-16, 10:32 PM

This might be helpful: http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/contact-us

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 14-08-16, 04:04 PM

The MOD sold a huge quantity of sealed patterns including badges dating back to WW2 about 15-20 years ago. Quite if yours survived this clear out unless they went to a Museum is questionable.
Old 16-08-16, 04:09 PM

Thank you, gentlemen, I will pass both on to my friend in SA. It may be worth his while to contact the College of Arms to see if they can help.
Fred
Old 17-08-16, 07:40 AM

If the badges were actually manufactured in South Africa their Ministry of Defence must have had the cards to send out to manufacturers to copy.

The Procurement side of our MOD would have held all the British sealed patterns so a general e-mail to the MOD may produce a response of some kind.