British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-16, 02:51 PM

Default Help needed, unusual slouch hat

I bought an unusual slouch hat from ebay, one of two nearly identical examples from the the seller. They managed to send me the wrong one of the two and are correcting that by sending me the one I bought ASAP.

In the mean time I took some photos of the one they sent, both are nearly identical apart from condition issues, the one I received has a number of holes in it, some bad moth tracking but had a poorly reapplied pug band of the same fabric as the edge trim, whilst the one I had no holes and no pug band.

I could not find a match for this type, though from my research I know that some of the British examples from circa 1899-1903 did not have poppers or vent holes as these two also do not, also British examples often had quite narrow pug bands of herringbone weave fabric -as do WWII British types- but no later British types I have seen have cloth edge trim, a feature only seen on the early types.

Sadly neither have their sweatband in place which might have had makers details or a date on them, but both seem quite old, though I have at least one WWII British example with mothing etc so it is hard to say if something is 70 years old or 115 years old, it depends on usage and storage.

I have shown the sellers pix of the one I paid for and my pix of the one that arrived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (37.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (38.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (59.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (41.3 KB, 38 views)

Jerry

Tags
slouch hat