British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-08-23, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default 1991 20th Hussars

Squadron Leader of the 14/20th Hussars in 1991 with an 20th Hussars cap badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-08-07 15.10.03.jpg (75.3 KB, 161 views)
Old 07-08-23, 02:37 PM
LYPAO Boff

....love it

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 13-03-24, 03:01 PM

I saw on ebay a few years ago what was stated to be a 14th/20th Hussars officers beret, it had a bullion 20th Hussars badge on it.
Old 13-03-24, 03:34 PM

You were allowed to wear it. In the regimental orders of dress.
It caused a row between the CO 14/20th and Patrick Cordingley .
Old 13-03-24, 03:42 PM

The beret was a "buy it now", I saw it and somebody swifter on the uptake than me snaffled it while I was researching it, I should've just grabbed it.
Old 13-03-24, 04:58 PM

The "gentleman" in the original picture was my CO for a while...we didn't get on. His family had been 14th/20th (and before that, 20th Hussars for several generations). I'll wager that the hat and badge had been in the family for years. I was once at his house for a "Supper Party" and his children's "dressing up box" was full of items of Hussars uniform from the Victorian period onwards. The walls of the house were full of framed medal groups awarded to members of his family, again from Victorian times onwards......

Paul
Old 17-03-24, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
The "gentleman" in the original picture was my CO for a while...we didn't get on. His family had been 14th/20th (and before that, 20th Hussars for several generations). I'll wager that the hat and badge had been in the family for years. I was once at his house for a "Supper Party" and his children's "dressing up box" was full of items of Hussars uniform from the Victorian period onwards. The walls of the house were full of framed medal groups awarded to members of his family, again from Victorian times onwards......

Paul
Given his hat and olive drab cellular [jungle] shirt he clearly hadn’t grown out of the dressing up box himself Paul. I’m not surprised that you didn’t get along with him…
Old 11-04-24, 07:18 AM

Default 20H Badges

Can we just go easy on the personal comments please? (Gentle reminder about the purpose of the forum.) The hat and badge belonged to A Sqn 14/20H and now belong to A Sqn KRH. In 1922 A Sqn was the 20H Sqn in the newly amalgamated 14/20H. Although the Regiment eventually adopted common badges etc in c. 1936 the Sqn identity proved hard to erase - hence the photo. Sqn t shirts feature the xHx badge and the old 20H nickname “Nobody’s Own” is still used.

Last edited by rhussar; 11-04-24 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Slight improvement to wording
Old 11-04-24, 01:18 PM

I read an article once that stated the only order issued on dress in the 8th Army was “Top hats are not to be worn in the 8th Army”

Last edited by CAM; 12-04-24 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-24, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
....love it
Indeed! I may be a foreign romanticist with regard to The British Army, but I sincerely hope I need not explain why...

CB