British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-12-11, 05:29 PM

Default Queensland Medical Department

I am not really an Australian badge collector and I'm not even sure that this belongs here. However I couldn't resist picking it up and am looking for any info regarding this badge that the Forum members can share. thanks Jim
Old 02-12-11, 05:29 PM

Old 02-12-11, 06:25 PM

Hi Jim, not a area of mine either but did a search and found this.

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Queenslan...00000013907166

I also saw one on Cultman's site claiming originality, with lugs north and south. As I say, not my area; but sure someone will pass a comment etc soon.

Simon.
Old 03-12-11, 11:25 AM

Simon... thanks for your reply.... not the best news to wake up to on a saturday morning but I don't have much into it so it'll be a good learning experience at the worst. For reference it's about 57mm H and 31mm W approx. Hopefully someone with some experience on this one will share their knowledge soon.
Old 03-12-11, 02:44 PM

Sorry Jim. I don't know for certain. I just did the search and that was one of the first to pop up.

Fingers crossed Jim, that east west is the right way.

Simon.
Old 04-12-11, 12:03 PM

Hi jim
This badge has been discussed on the forum before I'm sure. It's an interesting item. The only pre fed book on the subject identifies it as Queensland medical. The next book on pre fed badges of Australia still being finalized for publishing doesn't include the badege. The reason is that it's not mentioned in any dress regulations nor is there any photographic proof it was worn.
Interestingly, one of if not the best collections of Aussie badges, the bob grey collection, does not include this badge either. The collection was put together from ww1-about the early 1970s.
It's also my belief it is a fantasy badge! But the debate goes on. Either way, there are far to many of them to be around than there should be.
Bc
Old 04-12-11, 01:47 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Australian Med Dept

Not an Australian version, but there is a picture of the British Army equivalent - just plain old 'Medical Department' in My Badges.
David
Old 12-12-11, 11:47 AM

Default Queensland Medical badge

I believe that this is a fantasy badge and that they are ALL phonies, without exception. There are a lot around, in brass, WM and oxy. They only appeared in recent years.
Old 12-12-11, 12:07 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
I believe that this is a fantasy badge and that they are ALL phonies, without exception. There are a lot around, in brass, WM and oxy. They only appeared in recent years.
kingsley,
Are you saying that mine is a phoney as well (i.e. ALL') or just the ones from Australia?
David

So this is a dud badge..... Nice to know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QVC_MedicalDeptGiltBadge.jpg (79.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by wright241; 13-12-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-12-11, 03:19 PM

Default repo badge

Are there many repo Australian badges ? Some of the pre federation badges go for big money.
Old 12-12-11, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
kingsley,
Are you saying that mine is a phoney as well (i.e. ALL') or just the ones from Australia?
David
hi david
i totally agree with kingsley, ALL these badges are duds, never issued or worn. a modern creation
bc
Old 13-12-11, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi david
i totally agree with kingsley, ALL these badges are duds, never issued or worn. a modern creation
bc
Have added the 'dud' badge to my post. I can see that I am going to have re-appraise every badge I have on the same basis. And there was me thinking that I had learnt something over the years about quality of workmanship.
Old 17-12-11, 03:45 AM

Default Mmmm

I purchased bone of these badges from the UK last year and as soon as I received it I thought to myself "well this is a fake" the lettering is partially filled in by hand and the wings of the crown are cut off sharply, there were a number of other things wrong with it but I can't recall now as I sent it back. The Seller is still selling them (she probably has a number).
Old 17-12-11, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Have added the 'dud' badge to my post. I can see that I am going to have re-appraise every badge I have on the same basis. And there was me thinking that I had learnt something over the years about quality of workmanship.
david
this is a different badge than the one jim posted. unsure of your one. looks good to me but looks like a british issue item and not australian.
australian forces worse lots of the same design and your badge looks genuine but is it a queensland medical service badge? will do some more research
bc
Old 12-01-12, 04:45 AM

Default Pouch Badge

There was one of these badges on eBay recently (item number 170757081191), in white metal with screwpost fittings, attached to a period-looking pouch. I've not seen any restrikes in WM before, nor with screwposts. Could this possibly be a genuine one?