British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-10-14, 05:03 PM

Question Anodised badges with plain sliders

Having collected anodised badges fairly regularly in the 1960's I would welcome forum members thoughts on these badges with plain sliders. I will put the price paid for them alongside and to give an idea of the cost bearing in mind 20 cigarettes cost 5/- (25p in todays money).

1st Dragoon Guards 4/-
Leeds Rifles QC 3/-
Westmoreland & Cumberland Yeomanry 7/6
Warwickshire & Worcestershire Yeomanry 5/-
Surrey Yeomanry 5/-
Leicester & Derby Yeomanry 5/-
North Somerset Yeomanry 6/-

Would these badges have been scarce in the 1960's as most of the units were still active then and I paid a reasonable price or did I pay over the odds?

Thoughts appreciated

Rob
Old 26-10-14, 05:19 PM
LYPAO Boff

Rob

Could you put up some pics of the LDY.... don't think I have seen an unmarked badge?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-10-14, 05:31 PM

Same goes for the WWY . Never seen a version that isnt on lugs.
Old 26-10-14, 07:04 PM

Default WWY

Mike,

I think the WWY is on loops now you mention it. As for pics, chaps you will have to be patient, I have not visited my badges in a long while, when I do I will be armed with my camera.

Rob
Old 26-10-14, 07:51 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Mike,

I think the WWY is on loops now you mention it. As for pics, chaps you will have to be patient, I have not visited my badges in a long while, when I do I will be armed with my camera.

Rob
Rob,

As and when you do get round armed with that camera would there be any chance please of a picture of the back of the Leeds Rifles with un-named slider?

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 26-10-14, 09:35 PM

Default Man on a Mission . . !

Chaps,

I will try to get some pics next time I visit the badges, I am making notes as to who wants what and will try to get pics of the aforementioned.

These badges as I have said were bought in the sixties and so far I have had no comment as to whether I was overcharged or not.

Rob
Old 26-10-14, 10:04 PM
guest123a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Chaps,

I will try to get some pics next time I visit the badges, I am making notes as to who wants what and will try to get pics of the aforementioned.

These badges as I have said were bought in the sixties and so far I have had no comment as to whether I was overcharged or not.

Rob
Rob,

Thanks, as to the original prices of the badges of the top of my head I can not tell you as I'm away from home and the only one I would be able to comment on is the Leeds Rifles badge (assuming its the last pattern without tank) as I have a copy from the National Archives of the gaunt invoice for a batch supplied to the Army and that of course was for a bulk purchase.

Cheers,

Marcus
Old 26-10-14, 10:36 PM

Smile Leeds Rifles

Marcus,

I was bought a copy of Major Edwards book on badges in the sixties which was well before it's time, the author is never discussed these days and a man before his time IMO as he brought a book out in the early 1950's which was updated from time to time.

As the TAVR badges were illustrated in my copy I went out to get as many as possible, as an apprentice with top money at £10 a week, with a car to run there were some difficult decisions to make.

I bought badges . . !

Pics to follow . . !

Regards Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 28-10-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 30-10-14, 03:02 AM

Hi Guys,

Most blank slidered badges are unofficial commissions made by Gaunt in the late 1980's. However, many good badges, including some very rare items, are also attired with blank sliders especially those attributed to Marples and Beasley. So Rob, if your badges came from the 1960's then there is a very good chance that they are good.

Anodised Aluminium: 'The 'No Bull' Cap Badge of the British Army covers this topic in depth in various chapters of the book especially Chapter 7: Veritical Shanks, Chapter 15: Fakes and Reproductions and Chapter 21: The Badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 30-10-14, 06:07 PM

Default Plain slidered anodised badges

Chris,

Thanks for your input on the subject, these badges were all bought pre decimalisation which was 1971 as I have stated. These and other anodised badges with named sliders came from a London dealer. I must get some pics when I get around to it.

Rob
Old 01-11-14, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

Most blank slidered badges are unofficial commissions made by Gaunt in the late 1980's. However, many good badges, including some very rare items, are also attired with blank sliders especially those attributed to Marples and Beasley. So Rob, if your badges came from the 1960's then there is a very good chance that they are good.

Anodised Aluminium: 'The 'No Bull' Cap Badge of the British Army covers this topic in depth in various chapters of the book especially Chapter 7: Veritical Shanks, Chapter 15: Fakes and Reproductions and Chapter 21: The Badges.

Regards

Chris
HI I have a university of Wales in a makers sealed packet no makers name on the slider or the the packet dated 18/11/13 Patt No 24440
Old 01-11-14, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus-gemma View Post
HI I have a university of Wales in a makers sealed packet no makers name on the slider or the the packet dated 18/11/13 Patt No 24440
Im pretty sure i have the same ,although not in a packet. Im presuming its the dragon badge .
Old 02-11-14, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Im pretty sure i have the same ,although not in a packet. Im presuming its the dragon badge .
Me too.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 02-11-14 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 06:22 PM

I believe that if you have a Gurkha anodised badge with a blank slider , its very likely that it was made in Hong Kong.
Common Gurkha badges with blank sliders , Staff Band and Gurkha Transport Rgt
Old 04-11-14, 06:42 PM

Talking Anodised badges

Well Guys, I have to admit that my mind does play tricks, I visited my badges today and had a few surprises, yes, the Leeds Rifles was made by JR Gaunt in London, the WWY is on loops and some OSD collar badges I bought I already have . . !

See the classifieds when I get around to putting them on the forum.

It must be old-age . . . !

Regards Rob