British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-09, 03:07 PM

Default Unidentified Irish Regiment Collars

Hi all,

I was hoping someone can positively identify what regiment these collars belong to? They might be UDR or RIR but I am unsure!

They are made from white chrome metal and measure from top of crown to bottom of harp 31mm and 19mm across at the widest point.

They have two fixing blades on the back.

Any help is very much appreciated.

thank-you

Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S8005933.jpg (35.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg S8005935.jpg (33.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg S8005938.jpg (50.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-08-09, 08:22 PM

Sean,

My thoughts on these badges are that I'd agree that the design is that of the UDR/R IRISH. My view is that they are not UDR, as their collar badges were gold A/A not chrome. Also any UDR collar badges that I've seen have a split-pin and backing plate fastening to them.

As the current Royal Irish Regiment collar badge design for No 1, 2, 3 and 4 Dress is the Iniskilling castle and scroll design, this rules this option out as well.

Having ruled out other options, I therefore reckon they are Mess Dress collar badges for a SNCO or Warrant Officer. Can I find a picture to prove this? Unfortunately not, as any reference I have shows the embroidered Officers' Mess Dress collar badges only.

I'm not aware if this badge has been "refined" in its design as has recently happened with the Royal Irish Regiment cap-badge (ie less well endowed Maid of Erin, redesigned harp, green paint between strings, etc).

Hope this gives you a steer.

Mike
Old 12-08-09, 02:33 PM

Hi Mike,

Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been away for a few days.

Thanks for the pointer, I think you are probably right and that they are mess dress collars for an SNCO or Warrant Officer - I'll look a bit deeper and let you know what I find.

thank-you

Sean

Tags
collars, irish, ulster