British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-11, 01:26 PM

Hi Ken,
Sadly the LP was abandeoned with much other kit when I left Zimbabwe in 2004 after 34 years in that fabulous country, but I have gradually been replacing much that I left behind, and thanks to your timely reminder of a great military band I will now go shopping for a recording of them, but upgraded from LP's to CD's....that's progess - of a sort !!!!!

Cheers,
John
Old 03-04-11, 01:44 PM

Hi Jerry

Make sure you don't mix up the old badge with the new one.

The Old GTR, The Gurkha Tranport Regiment with
The New QOGLR, The Queens Own Gurkha Logistics Regiment
The badges are quite similar, crossed kukri's over maltees star, look for the centre banner "Queens Own"

Good luck with your collection
Fatboy Ken
Old 03-04-11, 01:53 PM

Hiya mate
Got an old friend lives in Tanzania for the past 19 years, loves it out there, but you've done the right thing in leaving Zimbabwe at the moment, who knows, if there are changes out there, ............... ??

D'you know what John ??

Over the years we've all been sucked into buying the same things over n over again ???

Records, LP's Tape cassetts, Videos and CD's, now we're going out and buying mini discs with HD !!! lol

Life !! ......... it's never ending, ............ lol Hmmmmmm ???? I might make that my quote.

Cheers mate

Fatboy Ken
Old 03-04-11, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Thanks for that Ken, I did not know they have became part of 10 Transport Regiment RLC. I only collect Gurkha Engineers but will have to get the QOGLR badges now
Useless information time, on history
Sit down, ..... and shut up at the back !!

A very short history, as to why the QOGLR came about; The HM Government was about to throw the Gurkhas onto the scrapheap in the Defence Review (DR) or Options for Change (OfC)1992.

My old Sqn "36 Sqn RCT" was disbanded immediately after the 1st Gulf war 1991 so it left a vacuum, within the Regimental format for another unit to take it's place, (obviously OfC) this ment no unit will replace it. When we all heard of the way the government was treating our closest friends of many hundreds of years, the GTR, the Queen said she will add "Queens Own" to their title, this without a doubt saved them from the axe, and I'm glad it did.

We at 36 Sqn couldn't work out why we were listed for disbandment at the time, but I'm proud to say that I'm happy as Larry about the outcome.

A small bit of useless information for you all
Old 03-04-11, 03:31 PM

Default QOGLR

I have also posted this in the other corps and units section.

Can you give me any info on the QOGLR who I have been told is now part of 10 Transport Regt RLC. (see post above)
How are they formed within the regiment I.e. A "stand alone" unit say 10 Gurkha Squadron RLC ??
What badge do they wear, the QOGLR one in bi metal? Is there an anodised version? Do the officers wear a silver/gilt badge? Do the officers wear a o.r. Collar badge in the beret?
Any help would be greatly received on this matter. Thanks

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 03-04-11, 04:01 PM

I like your sense of humour Fatboy Ken. Your post about buying things over and over again gave me my best laugh for ages. It is so very, very true.
Cheers mate,
John
Old 03-04-11, 06:21 PM

Welcome aboard Ken,
Looking forward to your input! Your corps is definitely under represented here, and I'm sure you will help turn that around! Maybe see an album up and running soon!

John
Old 03-04-11, 07:14 PM

Greetings Ken, I once lived very very close to you in Ashford. I hope you find the forum useful.

John
Old 01-06-15, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Hiya John

Yes the Corps band was an exceptional band, and was wanted everywhere, all over the world, Have you gotten hold of the bands RCT Shako headdress ??? they are few and far between.......
There are a few on ebay. :-)
Haven't got a shako, but a shako badge was delivered today - assuming they're not still being produced for the collectors market.