British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-10, 10:01 PM

Default 14th and 14th/20th Hussars Headdress Badges Pt 2

Hi Aex

Part 2
Old 16-05-10, 10:07 PM

Default 14th and 14th/20th Hussars Headdress Badges Pt 3

Hi Alex

Part 3
Old 17-05-10, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

The Eagle and oval was worn up to 1915 and then replaced by the Garter cartwheel because of the association of the eagle with Austria. The plain brass eagle is that supposed to be pre1915 as well?

Thanks

Alan
Old 12-07-10, 10:28 PM

Default 14th Hussars small cartwheel badge help

I have noted a few of the very small 14 H cartwheel badges appearing in both a solid and voided form.
Does anyone have a genuine example of one of these badges? I would imagine they are one of the more difficult badges to find and I also wonder just when or why they were actually worn. I suspect that the vast majority of those seen on Epay are of course duds.
Thanks,

CB
Old 13-07-10, 07:10 AM
Former Member

CB,
quite a few on Ebay of late as you say! The reverse detail on genuine examples should be crisp! A hard one to spot from a photo, here are two genuine examples! Wilkinson dates the voided badge as being worn 1915-29(?) although they became 14/20 in 1922?. A question for the experts I think?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG7893.jpg (32.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG7891.jpg (33.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 13-07-10 at 07:17 AM.
Old 13-07-10, 03:32 PM

Thanks Andy,
I have seen non voided example that is not very crisp in reverse detail, but the obverse is excellent. The badge itself is quite heavy and thick which may preclude a crisp appearing reverse which I note is sometimes the case on other genuine badges.
I wonder if these small badges were worn in conjunction with the large badge?

CB
Old 25-10-10, 02:59 PM

Default 14/20th King's Hussars,period of wear....

Hello all. I have had this 14/20 KH for some time now,bought at a fair and, I was hoping someone could confirm that this pattern was the later pattern, worn let say in the 60s and 70s.I guess it's was not worn during war time.(or is it a copy....)
All comments will be appreciated.
Jo
http://www.militaria.qc.ca/jo5.jpg http://www.militaria.qc.ca/jo6.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 25-10-10, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

There is a thread on these. The 14th Hussars regt wore a succession of badges from the eagle on a brass oval backing, 'cartwheel' lion in garter, smaller version (collar sized), same badge with 14/20th title, back to the brass eagle but on its own, a/a eagle, blackened a/a eagle and a variant with the head looking the other way.

Apart from the pristine conditine there is nothing obviously wrong with this one being a 1940s-60s badge. This is not a badge that I have seen reproduced. However the examples I have seen have all beeen heavily polished - as a regt they seem to have been fanatical about this. If genuine then it is either unissued or unworn souvenir which might explain its condition.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 16-11-17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 25-10-10, 05:05 PM
Badge Guru

I've got the Gaunt staybrite and a brass badge that came with it. The squadie has painted the repro looking brass badge gloss black to look like the staybrite.

The eagle worn on its own prior to WW1 is an extremely rare badge. It cost me a weeks wages just to pay for one in excellent condition.
Old 12-11-10, 11:03 PM
Former Member

Default 14/20th Hussars "FR" on chest!

Gentlemen,
I filled a gap in my Cavalry collection this week by adding the 14/20th Hussars badge shown below. There does not seem to be a lot of reference to this badge in K&K or Gaylor, other than reference to the eagle being readopted in 1931. Having never seen one in the flesh, I was struck by it's size, being about 2/3 that of the plain chested eagle.

The badge measures 32 x 22 mm when compared to the 35 x 28 mm of the more common plain chested variant.

It is a cracking little badge, well made with a shaped neck to the slider and very fine detail.

Does anyone have any further information of the date of introduction and period of wear? I suspect this is a scarce badge?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG9451.JPG (60.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG9452.JPG (66.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG9453.JPG (68.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG9454.jpg (28.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 12-11-10, 11:54 PM

It's illustrated in Wilkinson ( 1981 edition - plate 119) price guide £35 . Nice badge, same as mine and Wilko's. Makers variation probably.

Last edited by Alan O; 16-11-17 at 08:52 AM.
Old 13-11-10, 12:15 AM
Former Member

Keith,
I have Wilkinsons 1973 in which the badge is shown as 86. I suspect it is a 1931 era production, but more likely to be a rejected by the regiment rather than a makers variation? It is a far nicer looking bdge than the adopted patttern IMO..

Anyone else have any info or opinions?

Andy
Old 13-11-10, 10:52 AM

A slightly different example,31.5x22.6m/m the mace is attached to the wing with braze and the slider cut off.
Andy.

Last edited by magpie; 28-09-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 03:16 PM

Default Anodised Left facing 14/20 Hussars Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
There is a thread on these. The 14th Hussars regt wore a succession of badges from the eagle on a brass oval backing, 'cartwheel' lion in garter, smaller version (collar sized), same badge with 14/20th title, back to the brass eagle but on its own, a/a eagle, blackened a/a eagle and a variant with the head looking the other way.

Apart from the pristine conditine there is nothing obviously wrong with this one being a 1940s-60s badge.
Gents,
if I may resurrect this interesting thread on 14th/20th Hussars cap and arm badges, does anyone out there have any information on the left facing anodised alluminium 14/20 Hussars cap badge?

I recently picked up one of these for next to nothing. It is gold anodised A/A (therefore the earlier issue) and the eagle has been painted black - as is often found in order to conform with the later pattern which were actually manufactured black and gold. The slider is marked FIRMIN LONDON. The orb and the staff are in the opposite claws too. It has the appearance of the 6th Gurkha Rifles arm badge but is in gold and has a slider. The badge shows signs of wear to the front and on the neck of the slider - so it appears to have been worn - I assume in a beret.

I pick up on Alans quote where he mentions this 'left facing eagle' AA cap badge, but I am struggling to find out anything about it.

Any info/thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated gentlemen.

Kind regards to all

Bess
Old 09-04-12, 04:58 PM

Hi Bess,the only facing right eagle ive seen was worn in the collar by the bandmaster.So he wore a pair of eagle collars rather than the strap type collars.

Tags
14th hussars