British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-10, 04:27 AM

Default 1CACR Kangaroo collar badges

I have an inquiry to those collectors fortunate enough to have a single or pair of kangaroo collars.

Last month at the Kangaroos annual reunion, the daughter of one of the junior officers came up to me to show me a small pin she found among her late father's belongings. At first glance I saw it as just a right racing collar, a very well worn right facing collar, probably used a a sweetheart or lapel pin.

When I examined it closer I noticed it was the same design and size as normal right facing collar... Brass but with a pin back, though it look as though the pin back might have been added or replaced later? Lugs might have been attached at one time. The thing that intrigued me was the back of this badge was fully struck!? Both pairs of collars I own, as well as two collars I have seen in the collections of former NCO's are "solid" back.

For those of you that have or have seen collars in the past, were they flat back or fully struck? Gilt, Brass or Bronze? Pinback or Lugged? I have "heard" of a bronze collar badge, fully struck and with lugs N/S?
Old 19-12-10, 02:27 PM

Default 1st CACR collars

Hi Bill: The collars in my collection are both flat backed with the lugs North and South. A collar such as you have seen would be a definite rarity in my humble opinion. Could it possibly be a one-off made by a jeweller? Or perhaps a exam piece made by an apprentice?

Cheers

Moe
Old 19-12-10, 06:11 PM

Default Brass or Bronze?

Hi Moe, thanks. Are your collars brass or bronze?

I'm going to try and get her to photograph her collar pin, it may be a jewellers copy to create a sweetheart, but I wouldn't think a jeweller's copy would have a fully worked up back? If cast it would be flat (like ours!).

The more I think about it, I think the pin back was original to this item. As you know these collars are quite tiny and there wasn't a lot of solder on the back where the pin was affixed. I hope she can come through with some detail photos.
Old 20-12-10, 03:12 PM

Default Brass

Hi Bill: The collars are brass.
Moe.

Tags
1cacr, armoured carrier, collar, kangaroo