British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-07-21, 04:41 PM

Default Queens Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry

Hi. feel a bit daft asking this since the QORGY joined the Queens Own Lowland Yeomanry in 56, but was there a version of their badge with a queens crown, i have seen them around ebay and some dealer sites, like i say a bit daft but only way to learn, like the QC staffs yeomanry in white metal that isn't i learned from reading on this site.
Iain
Old 26-07-21, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Gaunt filled a hole in the collectors' market by producing the Q/C version in large numbers in the 1970s.
Old 26-07-21, 06:22 PM

Thank you Alan, seem to remember reading over time that there are a few Q.C metal badges that appear but were never used by regiments as they were amalgamated into other regiments soon after '53
Old 26-07-21, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed but likewise there were lots of regts still wearing k/c badges into the late 50's. K&K give a s/p date of Feb 1956 so in reality if they were sealed it's unlikely that they were made or worn bearing in mind the amalgamation in that year.

Unfortunately dodgy dealers have passed off fakes (Suffolks, Dorset Yeo, 8th KRIH) as 'unissued stock' for some years.

In the Glasgow Yeo case I would want a possible contender for un-issued stock to not have Gaunt Bham on the slider and to be a perfect strike as the dies would be new with no wear.
Old 26-07-21, 06:31 PM

Sorry interrupted. so as i was saying post 58 should you be looking at a.a badges for Q.C
Old 26-07-21, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Alas no hard and fast rules. Every regiment is different and introduced both q/c and a/a badges at different times.

Some went k/c to a/a to q/c
some went k/c to metal to q/c to a/s
some went k/c to a/a to q/c
some went k/c to amalgamation!

Alan