British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-20, 05:41 PM

Default Repaired badge values

Hi All,

just wondered if anyone has any ideas on how much would a repair affect the value of a badge. I know it can't be an exact science as some people would not want repaired badges in their collection.Others might be happy having a repaired rare badge until a better one comes along...

Just for examples, say a badge with 1 replacement lug, 2 replacement lugs, replacement blades, crown refixed etc.

Cheers, Mark
Old 11-08-20, 06:03 PM

Crown reaffixed, I understand, lugs replaced, other than, perhaps, by glue or solder, I don't see the point, certainly if affixed in such a manner so as to disguise the fact that they're reaffixed or replacements, and, say, destroying an original OSD finish in the process, and that makes a badge less attractive a purchase to me, that's just "me", the thoughts of Chairman Kitchen and I'm sure plenty of people disagree.
Old 11-08-20, 06:06 PM

The lack of a blade, or loop is not a problem for me if the badge is rare or scarce even, but on an everyday badge I would say it halves the price because there are just so many perfect ones available.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-08-20, 06:14 PM

I think this is a great question, but very subjective.

My opinion is if a badge’s fixing(s) is broken then the value is significantly detracted.

Personally if the badge is relatively common or realistically obtainable badge I’d say it’s worth about half price or more than likely I’d not bother with it as I’d only end up replacing it.

When I see people selling such badges at 75% or more of the retail value for an amateur repair I think what’s the point.

Exception to this would be if it’s a rare badge like a Pals, I.Y. or V.B. or SF badge then it’s a piece of string question.

Also certain PBP or SPB Officers badges are intentionally ‘converted’ with changes of crowns which I’d say as period pieces are worth full price.

Others will no doubt disagree or not.

Last edited by Luke H; 11-08-20 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-08-20, 09:03 PM

I'd agree with Simon (I have a few badges with fixings missing but if the diagnostics are present that's fine for me) and I think Luke is right on prices - but dealers are going to make their own values!
Old 11-08-20, 09:13 PM

I don't think that I would classify converted badges as repaired If the original crown has been reaffixed then I would classify this as a repair
David
Old 12-08-20, 05:11 AM

Agreed.
Old 13-08-20, 09:13 AM

I wonder how many members remember when Bernard Golding and Norman Litchfield used to stand with adjoining stalls at most of the fairs ( at least the ones I attended).
A fair few of the badges in Norman’s stock had been repaired and/or refinished by Bernard and that certainly didn’t affect the prices.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 13-08-20, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
I wonder how many members remember when Bernard Golding and Norman Litchfield used to stand with adjoining stalls at most of the fairs ( at least the ones I attended).
A fair few of the badges in Norman’s stock had been repaired and/or refinished by Bernard and that certainly didn’t affect the prices.

P.B.
That is the prices they wanted.

Try and sell it with a repaired slider/loops and you wont get the price they were asking.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 13-08-20, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi All,

just wondered if anyone has any ideas on how much would a repair affect the value of a badge. I know it can't be an exact science as some people would not want repaired badges in their collection.Others might be happy having a repaired rare badge until a better one comes along...

Just for examples, say a badge with 1 replacement lug, 2 replacement lugs, replacement blades, crown refixed etc.

Cheers, Mark
Try this one for size. In these dark days,I do admire optimism!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5th-Royal...E/164300699760
Old 13-08-20, 06:57 PM

I think there would be a lot of peed off members here if they knew the history of some of the badges in their own collections.
Old 13-08-20, 07:16 PM

Magpie Please expand on comments
David
Old 13-08-20, 07:21 PM

There are a lot of badges repaired for dealers, but nothings been repaired that they sell.
Old 13-08-20, 07:28 PM

I suspect Andy is referring to more professional repairs and refinishing.

Many dealers do this and not all are candid about it. Many collectors get such repairs and after they’re gone and their collections broken up it’s likely not always noticed.

Such repairs are often significantly harder to spot especially if the original or a period fixing has been used.

To contradict my post above if the repair is a well done professional job then I think the badge holds its value much better than if a have-a-go-hero with a soldering iron ‘fixes’ it.
Old 13-08-20, 10:51 PM

Many members must remember the skill level that DaveC2 reached before his untimely passing. I have a couple of his “repairs”, indistinguishable from the originals. Correct lugs, right colour silver solder. Best I’ve seen! RIP Dave.