British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-19, 12:28 PM

Default C&T LRDG slip on? Opinions

This just sold last week at CT last week. Any thoughts. Questions as to colour background ie red on dark blue not black.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CT front LRDG Slip on.jpg (37.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg CT Reverse LRDG slip on.jpg (39.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 28-10-19, 12:54 PM
Banned

A load of s h i t e
SC
Old 28-10-19, 05:02 PM

Fake, like many other items in this auction...

Prospective buyers beware.
Old 28-10-19, 07:26 PM

Another once decent auctioneer heading down the pan.
Old 28-10-19, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
This implies you know a decent auctioneer
I don’t!
SC
Old 28-10-19, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Once decent, have they ever been?
Old 29-10-19, 12:12 AM

For a while they had decent stuff and still do but these days the lots are padded out with restrike collections/bundles as well as quite a few howlers. I’m not a cloth collector so you probably know better than me how much they offer is fake.

You can say the same of DNW
Old 29-10-19, 11:40 PM

Default C&T LRDG slip on? Opinions

Although It would be absolutely correct to say the slip on which is the subject of this thread is not the real deal, it is not in my experience fair to say that all auctioneers are bad. After all there are members of this forum that have been involved with auction houses in the not so distant past.
I have purchased items from auction houses in the past and have been more than happy with them. To be fair the main thrust of my collecting is medals whereas the majority of the members of this forum are badge collectors and as we all know metal and cloth badges are being heavily reproduced.
Taking for example DNW who are one of the leading medal dealers in the UK, what are they supposed to do when a collector decides to sell a collection of medals but also has badges/ insignia that he wishes to sell. Should they turn away the whole collection knowing that another auctioneer will happily take it on and sell it or should he auction the medals and also sell the insignia using his best endeavors to determine if it is authentic ?
There are no easy answers with badges and insignia which is so regularly faked especially the high end items such as SF insignia in which those who fake it are getting increasingly good at their craft.
As we know from this forum there are many disagreements about the authenticity of badges between the 'experts' that it is difficult to tell what is actually correct. Added to this there are those that knock a badge for their own devious ends so that they can buy it as a fake and add it to their own collection, keep it for a while then sell it on as having the provenance of it being in their allegedly 100% original collection of insignia.
As I have mentioned in threads before auctioneers cannot be expected to be experts in all areas of their own fields.
As I mentioned earlier in my post there are members of this forum who have had strong involvements with auctions who have had in my opinion some less than original items on their auction lists.
I can assure everyone that I am not, nor never have been involved in any auction house other than as an occasional buyer of medal groups all of which I have been happy with.

Cheers

Arnhem