British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-10-19, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Hi Tinto,

1970s or later I’d say. Everything about it looks typically repro to me. I’ve seen a few on eBay like it all with the modern wedge-like sliders.

Have an idea there was a smaller beret KSLI fake in the MM catalogue which I missed off when photographing as I mistook it for a duplicate of the larger badge. I shall check tomorrow to see if I’m not mistaken and how it compares to these smaller ones.

Cheers,

Luke
Thanks for your comments and pictures, Luke.
Regards, Tinto
Old 15-10-19, 11:09 PM

My understanding of Economy Issue badges is that production time was saved by stamping out what had previously been two part, or more, bi-metal badges in a single sheet of metal.

As the K.S.L.I. title still has to be braised on to the bugle, as seen in the examples in post 1, there is no actual economy in either time, materials or the process involved in manufacturing this particular badge. So it is probably not E.I.

Therefore, it was either produced for a particular, as yet unknown, unit of the K.S.L.I. such as a cadet unit or O.T.C. or, it is a manufacturer's error, or it is a spurious fake.
Old 15-10-19, 11:22 PM

Yes that’s right. Definitely not a 1916 all GM issue as I said in my OP since 1. it’s not on the official list from Julian’s research and 2. the person(s) who made it ended up doing twice as much brazing than they would have to on a standard BM badge.

I’m very much going with the unknown option as I’m 100% sure it’s genuine. Cadets/O.T.C. is something I hadn’t thought of but no reason at all it can’t be in contention, thanks!

Last edited by Luke H; 15-10-19 at 11:29 PM.
Old 16-05-21, 04:54 PM

Not contributing anything definitive, and responding in a rush without digesting all comments.
I have an example bought several years ago and recalled before seeing the post by Tinto it is a smaller (beret type) size. The dealer who sold it to me told me it was 4 Battalion WW2 NOT WW1.
I have never checked this out, or whether assertions at the time that it was worn in NW Europe are correct. Please excuse my lack of follow up - as I have not checked where 4th Bn served in WW2 and whether the assertions are plausible or correct. Neither could I contribute a reason as to why 4th Bn would wear a variant badge. It was a cheap buy at the time from someone I respected, long time deceased alas.
Hoping this is of interest - ANY THOUGHTS APPRECIATED
Mike

Not wanting to be too tardy, I did a quick Wiki:

The 4th Battalion was a 1st Line Territorial Army (TA) unit assigned to the 159th Infantry Brigade, part of the 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division.[2] However, on 17 May 1942, the 4th KSLI, along with the brigade, were transferred to the become the motorised infantry element of the 11th "Black Bull" Armoured Division.[2] They spent many months training in preparation for Operation Overlord and the 4th KSLI, like the 2nd Battalion, also served with distinction in the North West Europe Campaign. In October 1944, Sergeant George Harold Eardley of the 4th Battalion was awarded the Victoria Cross for his part in knocking out multiple enemy machine guns.[17]

The 5th Battalion was a 2nd Line TA duplicate of the 4th Battalion formed in 1939 on the doubling of the Territorial Army as, by this time, another European conflict seemed inevitable. The battalion was assigned to the 114th Infantry Brigade of the 38th (Welsh) Infantry Division, a 2nd Line duplicate of the 53rd (Welsh) Division which the 4th Battalion was originally assigned.[2] The battalion remained within the United Kingdom on home defence duties. In 1944, the battalion was transferred to the 80th Infantry (Reserve) Division and later the 38th Infantry (Reserve) Division. With these two formations, the battalion served as a training unit for both the KSLI and the North Staffordshire Regiment, eventually sending over 100 officers and 4,000 other ranks to the front-line as trained replacements.[
Old 16-05-21, 06:52 PM

Thanks Mike. It’s the larger full size cap badge. The style of slider on this type - slender and tapering with a crimp - is I feel a bit earlier than WW2.

To date the only brass KSLI beret badges I’ve seen (like Tinto’s) are the Martin Marsh repros. Do you have a pic of yours? I suspect it is likely fake with a dealer’s yarn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F82A0E4D-55DB-44DF-A86D-613DCD300C9E.jpeg (80.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 16-05-21, 11:08 PM

Many thanks Luke - I tend to agree with you. Unfortunately the badge is eluding me at present, but when I find it I will forward an image. The quality was not very good and it was bought as a bit of a curio - I will have another look for it Many thanks for replying. I confirm, like Tinto's it has a slider, and is the same size.