British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-14, 07:13 AM

Smile Essex Cadets 1930-1932

Hi all,

I have picked up this badge attributed to a chap who served in the Essex Regiment during WW2 and this I think will be his cadet unit badge after having found reference to a description of it in a thread from Stephen (aka Badjez) copied below.

"I know that a specific 'Essex Cadets' cap badge was issued (A shield & three seaxes within a wreath). I suspect that this cadet badge may have been adopted when the War Office withdrew official sanction of the cadets, so maybe Brian's mystery badge was worn by some units outside of the 1930-32 dates. Further info below.

01.04.30. WO Letter 9/Cadets/5490 (F4) conveys to TAA decision of HM Government to withdraw official recognition from cadet units.
31.10.30. WO withdraws authority for all cadets to wear uniform or military badges, except that uniforms in possession may be worn without displaying military badges. All recognition and support by TAFA & WO Ceased.
15.03.32. WO Letter 9/Cadets/5490 conveys to TAA decision to renew official recognition of cadet units. Finance & administration placed in hands of British National Cadet Association. Cadets permitted to adopt uniform and badges of the units to which they were again affiliated."

Brian (aka Father of three) has a lugged version in his wonderful Essex Regiment album. My version is on a nice slider.

Cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6966.jpg (80.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6967.jpg (71.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 31-10-14, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2334

This album has a list of known 'regional' cadet badges. The Scottish cadets certainly originated c.1935 and were school based but there is no certainty that the other county cadet badges date from then.

As most Cadet Bns had regimental affiliations to the VBs/Rifle Corps and post 1908 the TF, they wore those Volunteer regt badges. As a result most cadet badges are school related, be that to an OTC, military school or to a School Cadet Corps.

However both F&C.CC and Bank Top cadets wore their own badges pre WW1 so there was at least some cadet organisations wearing their own badge well before the 1930 revokation.

To summarise whilst its a contendor for the post 1930 cadets, I can't prove it.

Last edited by Alan O; 31-10-14 at 12:27 PM.
Old 31-10-14, 11:20 AM

I like the badge a lot, Dean, really nice regardless of what it may or may not be
Old 31-10-14, 11:48 AM

Thanks Alan and Phil,

Don't you just love a badge that makes you think.

Further research under way, cheers Dean.
Old 15-09-15, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

So far I have found examples of the following regions/counties cadet badges:

Essex
Kent
Hampshire
Herefordshire
Hertfordshire
Middlesex
Scottish
South Oxfordshire
Surrey
West Riding

I have no idea what the others wore but there is evidence that suggests that the PSSCA badge was used between 1930-2 by school cadet corps who had been cadet bns in their local TF regts before 1930. Some school Cadets had their own badge so would have been unaffected.

The junior division OTC continued to wear their own school designs where they existed and they were unaffected by the changes to the Cadet Corps.

I suspect that many cadet companies completely closed down in 1930 when funding was withdrawn.

Last edited by Alan O; Today at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-03-16, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

This is the Essex Cadets with crown badge mentioned at the start. Bosley's attribute it as a cap badge:

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...5-a56000c9c527

but there is a possibility that it's the collar to go with the shield badge. It's the right size for a collar but the crown is not normal for a collar badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (62.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-03-16, 12:59 PM

Default Essex cadets

This badge, with KC, was produced in 1911 by the TF Association. At the same time they produced the Essex Yeomanry, Essex VAD, & Essex Veterans Reserve badges, all having similar design and size.
The cadet badge can be found in GM, bronze and gilt.

Stephen.

Tags
essex cadets