British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-11, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
David

I'm afraid to tell you that your tropical one is a repro. A number of these have started to appear on ebay in the last few years. There are several giveaways. For a start the original printed badges (both blue and tan) should have a dashed outline to them, showing where they should be cut. The repro's have a solid red line (Im not aware of any printed badge having anything other than a dashed line).

One appeared on ebay with a 1940 date and Indian tailor stamp. A sure-fire sign the seller (or someone) shot himself in the foot, as the badge was not authorised until early 1943!! Some other repros of the same type, plus an original...
hi
Your original one looks like it may have been 1 of the seald pattern example with the location of the hole at the top and in mint condition other than the hole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2450 - Copy.jpg (60.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 29-12-11, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Steve

Did you see (or buy) this from ebay? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3803960490...84.m1423.l2649

It disappeared after a couple of days.
hmm !!!! no comment !!
I did get this one as well http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3505094789...84.m1439.l2649
STEVE
Old 30-12-11, 09:33 AM
Banned

Could leave some for the rest of us!
Old 30-12-11, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Could leave some for the rest of us!
Hi Matie
I did let 3 ASR badges slip through the scramble net larst month I thought to my self that was enough and got the 2 tunics
Any how the christmas pressie arrived to day with out the better half seeing it and i got it in to the house with no questions asked !!!!! result there !! heres some pics of it cheers steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7998.jpg (50.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7999.jpg (64.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8000.jpg (45.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8001.jpg (98.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8002.jpg (79.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8004.jpg (36.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8007.jpg (97.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 30-01-12, 12:03 PM

Default WW2 ASR

Steve,

Good to speak at Stoneleigh yesterday, albeit briefly. I thought the attached OCA blazer badge might be of interest. Somewhere I have a metal car badge as well but cannot locate that at the moment.

Regards, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASR Club blazer badge.jpg (76.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-02-12, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Steve,

Good to speak at Stoneleigh yesterday, albeit briefly. I thought the attached OCA blazer badge might be of interest. Somewhere I have a metal car badge as well but cannot locate that at the moment.

Regards, Stephen.
Hi Stephen
this badge is the 1st pattern example which the club used they are now on there 3rd pattern the club was started in the early 50's this patch was used from then to the 70's cheers for showing steve
Old 15-02-12, 03:56 PM

Default WW2 RAF ASR Arm Badges

Not an arm badge, but the old comrades club car badge. It took a while to locate in the loft.

The manufacturer was BEAULAH. Slight crazing to front perspex. The reverse is smooth chome.

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1990.jpg (40.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 20-02-12, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Not an arm badge, but the old comrades club car badge. It took a while to locate in the loft.

The manufacturer was BEAULAH. Slight crazing to front perspex. The reverse is smooth chome.

Stephen.
hi matie
its is a sham about the plastic front being crazed pm sent steve
Old 20-02-12, 10:19 PM

Default ASR Arm badges

Steve,
PM sent to you.

Stephen.
Old 06-10-12, 11:28 PM

Default ASR ARM BADGE

Hi Guys
I have recently had a few intreasting questions in general passing at fairs etc regarding who could wear the ASR badge ? , what trade was required to wear the RAF ASR arm badge? and how many crew members where on a launch ?
1st and 2nd questions
To answer this you have to first relise that the ASR badge was not a trade badge but a branch of service badge issued to those with a rank of Flight sargent downwards who served in the RAF marine branch in any any compacity while attached to the RAF marine branch this would include clearks , cooks , refueling tender personal and even those employed at ASR training stations and was not just for those on board the launches as it was not a trade badge no requiment for testing etc was required .
3rd question
this would depend on the type of luanch and would be any thing from 6 for the in shore launches shalow draft and sea plane tenders used in this roll to 11+ in the HSL launches to 35+ on the long range rescue craft durring the war
the HIGH SPEED LAUNCH personel would consit off
1 officer known as the master this would a at least a PILOT OFFICER who had unertaken the coxsons courses , sea navigation courses and boat masters course etc
1 : 1st coxson flt/sgt - warrent officer this chap must have passed a 1st coxson course this would allow him to go in and out of the port area of controll
1 : 2nd coxson at least the rank of a crpl who was trained up to the 2nd coxsons course at least he could be trained as a 1st coxson as well and hold a sgt ranks this was to allow the flt sgt to have his required rest period while at the rendezvous piont ( waiting area ) they could be here for 15hrs + the 2nd coxsons coursewould allow him to take controll of the launch out side of the harbour limits and travel at sea etc
1 : 1st fitter trained in all aspects of the engines from engine speeds to stripping of the enginesetc
1 : 2nd fitter as above but to a lower standerd
2 : wirles operators these would be trained in all aspects of the radio use and direction finding loops etc again alowing change / rest
up to 5 gunners depending on the boats armourment these would consit of crpls and lac all under the heading of mbc motor boat crew
1 : 1st aider a crpl normally oftern taken from the RAF medical branch and given special training for all posabilities
intreasting note 1 of the mbc's would have done a basic food course at the RAF ASR base at calsot lasting 1 week and he would be in charge of the galley and food etc during the time at sea and while the crew were on board as the stanby boat
lookout duties would be coverd by all gunners and other crew when at sea .

I estermait about a total of 6500 pesonell were in the RAF marine branch during the war with about 1500 serving on the launcheis at any one point and they served all over the world .
Old 06-02-15, 12:21 AM

BLIMEY HOW TIME FLY'S
I did this thread 4 years ago nearly just went back to have a look at it again with over half the forum have looked at it just surprising really !! steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !
Old 06-02-15, 10:06 PM

Hi ASR142 I may have missed this but when was the badge withdrawn? I had a spell with 1100 MCU, which being next to the Glenmorangie distillery proved to be a less than sobering experience!

Bryan
Old 06-02-15, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advsmt View Post
Hi ASR142 I may have missed this but when was the badge withdrawn? I had a spell with 1100 MCU, which being next to the Glenmorangie distillery proved to be a less than sobering experience!

Bryan
HI Bryan
The badge was withdrawn in 1947 I bet you had some fum that far north and not near to many places to go in the evening well you did have the distillery near by hmm!! hic! hic!
regards steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !