British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-16, 04:55 PM

Default RAF officers badge maker marked and with "S"

I bought what I think is a WW2 made RAF officers cap badge this morning ( now being offered for sale on a website I should say ).

The badge is in mint condition and is all metal construction on a cloth back which is marked with the Royal Arms and " By appointment J.R.Gaunt and Son Ltd London " printed in blue on the back.

The thing that is still puzzling me is the small white paper label also on the back with "S" on it.

Does anyone one know what the "S" stands for please.

Thanks in advance.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_14.jpg (1.7 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (95.1 KB, 145 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-01-16, 04:57 PM
LYPAO Boff

Is it a fully metal "bird"? The front image is very small .....

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 01-01-16, 05:08 PM

Peter,

The only explanation I can think of is "S" for "sample".

Dave.
Old 01-01-16, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
Peter,

The only explanation I can think of is "S" for "sample".

Dave.
Likewise
Old 01-01-16, 05:38 PM

S May be the person who made it or examined it before it left the factory, if it was sample I'd expect it to be stamped in ink so you couldn't sell it not a paper label that may fall or peel off.
Old 01-01-16, 05:41 PM

Thanks,

Griff , the parts of the badge are all metal with no embroidery.

Altcar, Phil and Magpie,

Thanks for those suggestions.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-01-16, 06:05 PM
LYPAO Boff

Peter

If thats the case then Gaunt marked their cap badges S or P (stamped) to indicate silver or s/plate. So it could be the same?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 01-01-16, 06:10 PM
Banned

These have started to appear more often on ebay with a variety of letters. I think it's a particular machinist or inspector, nothing more.
Old 01-01-16, 06:30 PM

Can I just say that I've noticed that it doesn't say to who it's appointed, if I remember correctly in an email I received from Buckingham palace your royal warrant is wrong, it's an offence to sell items with unorthorised warrants an not being complete the one shown isn't.
Old 01-01-16, 09:15 PM

Perhaps it's a good time to remind some of this thread.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30013
Old 01-01-16, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Can I just say that I've noticed that it doesn't say to who it's appointed, if I remember correctly in an email I received from Buckingham palace your royal warrant is wrong, it's an offence to sell items with unorthorised warrants an not being complete the one shown isn't.
I'm not quite sure what this has to do with the question originally asked. However, when the badge was made (and we don't know when it was made) Gaunt may, at that time, have been the holders of the Royal Warrant.

Dave.
Old 02-01-16, 12:00 AM

Wether it's printed on a can of food, a piece of card or on the back of a badge something that looks like a royal warrant but isn't is more than probably there for no other reason than to deceive and isn't worth the ink used to print it, and as SAS1 has pointed out they have started to appear more often on eBay so perhaps peters badge has yet to see it's 1st birthday.
Go to post 28 of the above thread link, that was my response from buckingham palace where the royal warrants are issued, it's not a warrant as it doesn't conform and neither did those I sent in in my original email asking the question making what was printed as such worthless and for deception only.
Old 02-01-16, 08:04 AM

Someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble if the badge has been meant to deceive ( which I don't think is the case ) as at the end of the day the badge cost me very, very little.

I do wonder if the "S" does indeed stand for sample and this is why it does not say which member of the Royal Family the "By Appointment " is to.

P.B.

Old 02-01-16, 09:03 AM

Possibly by Appointment to a foreign Royal House?
Or even simpler, contact Gaunts' rep by appointment, if this is indeed a sample.
Just a thought
Nice item Peter.

Last edited by tonyb; 02-01-16 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-01-16, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble if the badge has been meant to deceive ( which I don't think is the case ) as at the end of the day the badge cost me very, very little.

I do wonder if the "S" does indeed stand for sample and this is why it does not say which member of the Royal Family the "By Appointment " is to.

P.B.
Peter,

I don't believe that your badge is a "dud" repro. or anything like that. The workmanship looks to be excellent. In my opinion its a period piece probably produced by Gaunt as a sample for the Air Ministry. Plus, I've not seen any others. I would not become too distracted by the "By Appointment" issue.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 02-01-16 at 10:43 AM.