British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-04-08, 08:15 AM

Default Observer Corps

I have had this badge for ages but have never known if it's a fake .

Old 07-04-08, 05:20 PM

Smile Observer Corps badge

Looks Ok to me, possibly not a great strike, but I'd say it's OK.
Old 08-04-08, 08:39 PM

Great
Thanks
Spencer
Old 23-06-08, 01:47 PM

Hi all

Correct me if I am wrong, I have the same badge plus a cloth version and rank badge that came together in an auction a few years back from a deceased estate. I have been under the impression the Observer corps was a RAF set-up not Artillery/Signals unit?

Brian
Old 23-06-08, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Brian,

You are quite correct they were RAF affiliated.

Alan
Old 24-06-08, 11:12 AM
Badge Guru

.......and Royal Navy afflitiated. See the book 'The Plane Spotters'.
Old 25-06-08, 01:23 AM

Any affiliation to the RN ended in the 20's/30's, The Royal Observer Corps (granted royal title in 1941) were for logistical and operational reasons affiliated to the RAF, Wearing RAF Battledress with Black Beret and ROC Insignia up till the early 70's when the 72 pattern zip up bomber type RAF jacket was adopted, still with the Black/dark blue beret.

The Cpa badge you have there is an OR's beret badge with Kings crowm, Officer wor a gilt version.
Old 25-06-08, 02:14 AM

I do not know the book Jibba mentions but a conection to the RN could be the several hundred observers attached to ships during the D-Day landings. I think they were given the Temp. rank of PO? The RAF did though hold the main connection from the point when the ROC became such and moved on from its more civilian beginings. I think I remember how ROC members were included at the Albert Hall Rememberance service entering with the RAF. Regards, Paul.
Old 25-06-08, 12:41 PM
Badge Guru

War Dog is correct. They are also affliated with the United States Navy as well. Their trade was Petty Officer - Aircraft Identifier.

Its not just collectors who dont know this but also WW2 veterans. It saddens me to think that they have been almost forgotten. Films like Saving Private Ryan portray the landings on Omaha and Utah as all of American doing. I can tell you now the good old ROC was there as well and many did not return. So when your next over is France please remember the Seaborne.
Old 27-06-08, 01:29 AM

Those ROC personnel who were on the ships during the D Day landings were awarded a cloth "mud guard" or "Rocker" badge with the ledend "SEABOURNE" on it. I still remember seeing one old Cheif Obs wearing this in 1988. They also were awarded the France and Germany campaigne star. Two books worth reading are "ATTACK WARNING RED" and "FORWARND IS FOREARMED"
Old 28-06-08, 12:39 PM
Badge Guru

Correct Kiwi. I knew a chap who was one and despite his 42 years service he was not allowed to join his local branch of the Legion. Apparently the corps hadnt done enough during the war.
Old 29-06-08, 07:58 AM

What???? I joined my local Branch of the British Legion while I was a member of the ROC?? I've since joined both the Australian RSL and the Kiwi RSA On the strength of my past membership of the ROC???
Old 29-09-08, 01:33 PM

Default Seaborne

The observer corps "seaborne" shoulder strip is illustrated in the attached image... (it is interesting to note that the observer in the photograph is also wearing a Royal Navy armband / brassard sewn onto his sleeve - this would be red on a navy blue background).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaborne 1.jpg (73.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-10-08, 01:08 PM

Seaborne ROC members were posted with the Royal and U.S. Navies as there were plenty of unfortunate events where keen and poorly trained (in identification) anti-aircraft gunners would shoot at anything in the air, Axis or Allied. This is of course also the reason for the black and white "D-Day stripes" being painted onto Allied aircraft. Having spent the entire war training on identification and putting it into practice, the ROC were in a very good position to help prevent "friendly fire" disasters...
Old 03-10-08, 05:54 PM

Great picture!
More than one thousand ROC observers volunteered for "Neptune" phase of Overlord plan. 798 were selected to serve one month and got the temporary rank of Petty Officer in the RN with a wage of £1 by day. I think a good income at this time... Cheers. J-F