British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-07-13, 02:38 PM

According to Bosleys the 9th lancers badge on 4 loops with an attached KC crown is an official conversion of existing stock undertaken on change of crown from QVC to KC.

See item 203 on Bosleys 20th Jan 2010 postal auction.

This would accord with it being on Paul's board.

I attach a similar 9th lancers badge with attached crown on 4 loops in my collection.

rgds
Dubaiguy
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9th lancers conv rev.jpeg (28.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 23-07-13, 02:50 PM

Here it is next to a QVC for comparison and to illustrate the potential ease of conversion.
rgds
Dubaiguy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9th lancers QVC and KC rev.jpg (45.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 23-07-13, 03:08 PM
LYPAO Boff

Paul

Nice to see loops on the Motto Would love to see a good front and back image, it would be good to know if the loops are placed inside the skull E/W or in the normal placement?

I would guess Smith & Wright Ltd as the maker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1CollectedMotto.jpg (60.4 KB, 20 views)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 23-07-13 at 03:13 PM.
Old 23-07-13, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Paul

Nice to see loops on the Motto Would love to see a good front and back image, it would be good to know if the loops are placed inside the skull E/W or in the normal placement?

I would guess Smith & Wright Ltd as the maker.
Hi,

Detailed pictures of all the badges are uploaded onto photobucket now, including this one. Here is the picture of the back:

http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/pa...l?sort=2&o=185

Kindest Regards

Paul
Old 23-07-13, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Hermitage View Post
Hi PL,

It looks like it, but intriguingly I do not think it is the same design as the post 1937 Norfolk Regt badge, it is bigger. The lady is the same design as the wreathed WW1 Norfolk Regt badge.

Please see attached pictures.

Views on this would be most welcome

Many Thanks

Paul
Very Very Nice Britannia you have there
Old 24-07-13, 08:45 AM

I was interested in the yeomanry badges displayed. Here are my observations and comments:

Glamorgan Yeo: The version shown was made by Lambourne's Birmingham (shank marked and shortish [36mm x 6mm]) and was made without a braising vent. The gm crown was clumsily attached to the front and looks like an afterthought. The title scroll was attached by two tiny D shaped tabs and the centre scroll is blank. The slider does not have an impress mark. In contrast the earlier Imperial Yeomanry badge was made by a different manufacturer, denoted by slightly longer (39mm x 5mm) impressed marked (notch) shank, rectangular braising hole, thinner central title scroll with the word "Imperial" attached by longer D shaped tabs and looks a much nicer badge with pleasing lines and finish. Also of note is the 1916 issue all gm badge which had a diamond flanked by two dots on the centre title scroll.

Pembroke Yeomanry: Version shown is a two piece badge where the title scroll is part of the badge. It has a notched shank and circular braising vent behind the crown. In contrast the earlier badge is found with two loops fitted above the crown and has a rectangular braising vent. Apart from these differences, the badge looks very similar in all respects. The only real difference is the braising vent. It looks as though there was a change from the design of the braising vent in Edwardian times to the issue date of the badge shown.

Although these badges were supposedly collected in the Great war period, the badges may have been issued prior to that event (e.g Edwardian Norfolk Yeomanry), maybe a good few years before the event. Another point to consider is that the collection may have been finished much later than 1918. Who knows when it was actually completed?
Old 24-07-13, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
I was interested in the yeomanry badges displayed. Here are my observations and comments:

Glamorgan Yeo: The version shown was made by Lambourne's Birmingham (shank marked and shortish [36mm x 6mm]) and was made without a braising vent. The gm crown was clumsily attached to the front and looks like an afterthought. The title scroll was attached by two tiny D shaped tabs and the centre scroll is blank. The slider does not have an impress mark. In contrast the earlier Imperial Yeomanry badge was made by a different manufacturer, denoted by slightly longer (39mm x 5mm) impressed marked (notch) shank, rectangular braising hole, thinner central title scroll with the word "Imperial" attached by longer D shaped tabs and looks a much nicer badge with pleasing lines and finish. Also of note is the 1916 issue all gm badge which had a diamond flanked by two dots on the centre title scroll.

Pembroke Yeomanry: Version shown is a two piece badge where the title scroll is part of the badge. It has a notched shank and circular braising vent behind the crown. In contrast the earlier badge is found with two loops fitted above the crown and has a rectangular braising vent. Apart from these differences, the badge looks very similar in all respects. The only real difference is the braising vent. It looks as though there was a change from the design of the braising vent in Edwardian times to the issue date of the badge shown.

Although these badges were supposedly collected in the Great war period, the badges may have been issued prior to that event (e.g Edwardian Norfolk Yeomanry), maybe a good few years before the event. Another point to consider is that the collection may have been finished much later than 1918. Who knows when it was actually completed?
Hi,

Thank you for this information. The latest dating evidence I found was September 1915, another dated April 1915. I thought one badge was 1920 era, but it turned out to be a badge issued first before WW1. Are there any badges here that are known for sure to have a pattern created after 1915?

Kind Regards

Paul
Old 24-07-13, 08:17 PM

Default Glamorgan Yeomanry

Posted twice for some reason.

Last edited by 41st; 24-07-13 at 09:19 PM.
Old 24-07-13, 08:19 PM

Default Glamorgan Yeomanry

There's nothing unusual about the badge to the above unit that you've listed on EBay, it's just the standard post 1908 issue when Imperial was dropped from the central title scroll.
This of course after the earlier examples where the word Imperial could still be made out behind a particularly poor effort to erase it from the original die.
Good later example though, shame about the solder overspill and marks on the slider.
Old 24-07-13, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Paul

If you wish to use the forum knowledge to sell on auction sites then you must be upfront and honest about it. Your actions on asking for comment and then listing them at some very high prices are not open and could be viewed as underhand.

Alan
Old 24-07-13, 08:33 PM
LYPAO Boff

Just seen the Motto....sharp intake of breath Average £12.... this type was churned out by the bucket load..... there are a couple of Great War Other Ranks Mottos (by different makers) that can command a value of £50 plus..... but the bog standard Smith & Wright Ltd type is not one of them.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 24-07-13 at 09:02 PM.
Old 24-07-13, 08:44 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outstandin...item5d41d02abd

£25.00 for a bog standard North Staffords?
£9.20 for signed shipping?

Posting what I think will get me banned.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 24-07-13, 08:59 PM

Been following this thread with interest, shame it was all a ploy to sell on.
However at those prices.......dream on!
Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 24-07-13 at 09:12 PM.
Old 24-07-13, 10:14 PM

Default WW1 badges ?

As used in another thread
'Caveat Emptor'
Paul
Old 25-07-13, 12:42 AM

£65 for a 7th-9th Middlesex and £25 for a common Essex Regulars badge. Behave yourself mate.

Now on reflection I think my earlier post endorsing the Middlesex item was wrong, it's a made up badge.

Regards
Brian