British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-22, 09:14 AM

Default WWI ROYAL NAVY HAT

Dear Gents

Any lights about this R.N. petty officer...suggested WW1 but what about buttons and chinstrap????

Thanks in advance

Fernando
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_160710.jpg (60.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_160720.jpg (43.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_160725.jpg (60.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_160732.jpg (61.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_160756.jpg (60.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_161018.jpg (42.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220916_160643.jpg (38.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 25-09-22, 08:34 AM

I would suggest the cap badge is not WW1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l11-velasco View Post
Dear Gents

Any lights about this R.N. petty officer...suggested WW1 but what about buttons and chinstrap????

Thanks in advance

Fernando
Old 25-09-22, 09:10 AM

The chinstrap does not belong on the cap. One button is wrong and the badge is typical WW2 period.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-09-22, 04:33 PM

Default WW1 Royal Navy Hat

And during WW1 what subsequently became the PO's cap badge was worn by CPO's only. PO's only started wearing this as their cap badge in the early-1920s - forget the exact date at the moment. This looks like a standard WWII cap with the problems with one button and the chinstrap already pointed out.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 25-09-22, 07:47 PM

The Cap Badge was introduced in WW2 as economy measure. The velvet of the crown has been replaced by red thread and the whole badge is much more flat than pre war badges. It could also have been added to the cap at anytime.

As has been mentioned, the chinstrap is wrong as are BOTH buttons. Royal Navy peaked caps had cloth covered buttons as shown below.

Last edited by Nozzer; 30-11-23 at 08:21 PM.
Old 26-09-22, 08:59 AM

A thing is sure... Chinstrap is not for this cap but about the hat itself any agreement about if is WWI or WW2 periods???
Badge is ok but no agreement about period too??
Buttons should be cloth covered in Royal Navy hats from both periods WWI and WW2??
Sorry but Im very confused with differents opinions that you posted
Thanks
Old 26-09-22, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
The Cap Badge was introduced in WW2 as economy measure. The velvet of the crown has been replaced by red thread and the whole badge is much more flat than pre war badges.

As has been mentioned, the chinstrap is wrong as are BOTH buttons. Royal Navy peaked caps had cloth covered buttons as shown below.
Please more doubts from me:

During both periods WWI and WW2 were the buttons covered with cloth???

What is the sense of red velvet replaced for the red thread that appears here may be some kind of economy of war???

What do you suggested when you posted that badge It could also have been added to the cap at anytime...WW2 period because for you the badge is more like WW2 made than WWI ????

is not that the top of the hat looks less wider from the WW2 examples???

Thanks in advance for new conmments

Last edited by l11-velasco; 26-09-22 at 10:42 AM.
Old 26-09-22, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l11-velasco View Post
Please more doubts from me:

During both periods WWI and WW2 were the buttons covered with cloth???

What is the sense of red velvet replaced for the red thread that appears here may be some kind of economy of war???

What do you suggested when you posted that badge It could also have been added to the cap at anytime...WW2 period because for you the badge is more like WW2 made than WWI ????

is not that the top of the hat looks less wider from the WW2 examples???

Thanks in advance for new conmments
Yes, during WW1 and WW2 the buttons that secure the chinstrap should be cloth covered. The small Royal Navy button on yours is a Petty Officers cuff button.

The badge is most certainly WW2 period and was manufactured as economy measure as stated. In 1941 metal versions where introduced as a further economy measure.

By the very nature of the cap, the band that the badge is attached to is removable to enable the addition or removal of the white cover (although I notice now that your badge has been stitched to the crown). I was simply pointing out that it "could" have been added at anytime, not that it was. This can be said for any item of uniform that has a badge on it of course.

Andrew
Old 26-09-22, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Yes, during WW1 and WW2 the buttons that secure the chinstrap should be cloth covered. The small Royal Navy button on yours is a Petty Officers cuff button.

The badge is most certainly WW2 period and was manufactured as economy measure as stated. In 1941 metal versions where introduced as a further economy measure.

By the very nature of the cap, the band that the badge is attached to is removable to enable the addition or removal of the white cover (although I notice now that your badge has been stitched to the crown). I was simply pointing out that it "could" have been added at anytime, not that it was. This can be said for any item of uniform that has a badge on it of course.

Andrew
Finally what about the question that this hat has the top not so wider because I thought that in WW2 hat the top of the hats was more wider if we look the cap at the front and because this question of top not wider I believed a WWI one but now with WW2 badge you said...I don,t know period to date the hat itself??