British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-22, 01:52 PM

Default Confusing dates WWII

There appears to be some confusion about dates , the article says the NAAFI Advance party landed in Normandy on 4th August 1944 , yet other sources state :

Mike the official dates are all in the book BUT the Naval Canteen Service (NAAFI on ships) were there every step of the way. As for EFI and then NAAFI (Civ) there are separate dates for both and then ENSA that followed the NAAFI entertainments branch.

We even had NCS lighters that served the boats going over on D-Day and they were coming under fire at the same time when they got too close.

Hope that clears up the conflicting dates, it is all to do with the different parts of the Organisation which makes it confusing.

Look at NAAFI as NCS, EFI (and ATS), NAAFI civilian staff, ENSA and then the NAAFI Entertainments..... with all the sections with in that like the cinemas and shows etc

Sue
Old 03-01-22, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAFI BL&S View Post
There is little evidence in all of the publications from NAAFI (I have in excess of 600) that show or mention this badge. I will say that this could have been a test badge which was never worn or the lovely re-enactor types, making it up as they go along, so people know who they are representing.
My thoughts were that it was possibly a 'trial pattern' that was produced as a sample but due to events moving faster than expected (post D-Day) it was never actually manufactured/issued.

I considered re-enactors but would have expected more to have been available/reproduced (on eBay) if they were are 'known' unit ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 03-01-22, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAFI BL&S View Post
Mike the official dates are all in the book BUT the Naval Canteen Service (NAAFI on ships) were there every step of the way. As for EFI and then NAAFI (Civ) there are separate dates for both and then ENSA that followed the NAAFI entertainments branch.
Thanks Sue , my knowledge (guesses !) is based on Google as my only experience of NAAFI was as a squaddie in the late 1970's/early 1980's.

One interesting thing I discovered was from a debate on Thursday 3 August 1944 about "Naafi Canteens (Normandy)" published in Hansard :

Quote:
It is obvious that in the early stages strictly operational requirements must have first priority. As far as N.A.A.F.I. is concerned, they were both prepared and willing to land in Normandy on D-Day. In Normandy, N.A.A.F.I. personnel were landed six days behind schedule owing to exceptional weather conditions, but they opened their service to the complete satisfaction of the military command.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted