British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-22, 11:21 PM

Default Victorian Cap Badges

Hello everyone.

I believe that in around 1898 the British Army introduced a series of regimental cap badges for use by other ranks on the Field Service Cap. Apart from often having the Victorian Crown they are fitted with lugs instead of the later sliders.

I would like to ask Forum members if these badges were commonly worn by the various regiments in South Africa throughout the Second Boer War.

Any help or advice on this subject would be most welcome.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 31-03-22, 06:21 AM

Yes they were, both the field service cap and glengarry were carried on the march and these badges were often subsequently worn upon the slouch hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
Hello everyone.

I believe that in around 1898 the British Army introduced a series of regimental cap badges for use by other ranks on the Field Service Cap. Apart from often having the Victorian Crown they are fitted with lugs instead of the later sliders.

I would like to ask Forum members if these badges were commonly worn by the various regiments in South Africa throughout the Second Boer War.

Any help or advice on this subject would be most welcome.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 31-03-22, 07:08 AM

Hello Frank.

Thank you for the helpful reply. Greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 31-03-22, 09:02 AM

The FSH was introduced in 1894 (as the glengarry badge was abandoned).
"cap" badges were introduced from 1894-6 onwards.

(BTW K&K were wrong about 1898 as a general date! - as above they were generally introduced in the mid 1890s)

Although Qn Victoria died in January 1901 - the introduction of the Kings Crown was finally introduced in 1903 (in have the exact date somewhere)

[just as a quirk - there were badges with KC still being worn into the 1960s !!!]

(if you go to my album - you will find the OR cap badges as they were in 1914. Below, under the frame you will find the dates of the various infy badges - you could note down the regiments were in the Boer Wars then look at the fixtures in the list
-sorry, I only collected (as a boy) infantry badges - cavalry etc were too expensive for my pocket in the 1960s!)

These first badges had loops - "vertical shanks" (popularly as sliders) were worn on the peaked cap in 1906. There is your answer - loops were used on badges before 1906..... [there were some experimental "sliders" used on the "slouch" hats in 1903 ... but that's another story....

Most were VS so I've only marked loops.

Most of this information comes from the War Office archives detailing every single badge from 1855 onwards.... [and knives and forks, boots etc etc etc]

Last edited by KLR; 31-03-22 at 09:16 AM.
Old 31-03-22, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
The FSH was introduced in 1894 (as the glengarry badge was abandoned).
"cap" badges were introduced from 1894-6 onwards.

(BTW K&K were wrong about 1898 as a general date! - as above they were generally introduced in the mid 1890s)

(if you go to my album - you will find the badges as they were in 1914. Below, under the frame you will find the dates of the various infy badges

These first badges had loops - "vertical shanks" (popularly as sliders) were worn on the peaked cap in 1906. There is your answer - loops were used on badges before 1906..... [there were some experimental "sliders" used on the "slouch" hats in 1903 ... but that's another story....

However, to be clear the cap badge wasnt available at the time FS caps were introduced and many regiments wore the central device of their helmet plate centre, which was also their collar badge in the FS cap until the system of cap badges that we now know were introduced.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 31-03-22, 09:24 AM

you are right of course - what the WO introduced at a specific date on paper was hardly adhered !!!!!!!!!!
Old 31-03-22, 09:28 AM

KLR and Simon.

Thank you for the very informative replies. I have developed an interest in the campaign, the regiments involved and the badges worn.This has helped me greatly.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 31-03-22, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

This may answer your questions. I also have a Vic Cavlary album but that is not complete.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2638
Old 31-03-22, 09:46 AM

Hello Alan.

Thank you for the link to your collection. A great help.

Kind regards, Malcolm.