British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-12, 09:00 AM

Default RE. Tyneside Scottish.

This is the 4 variations I have, cheers, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2753.jpg (77.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2754.jpg (75.7 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2757.jpg (76.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2759.jpg (65.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-10-12, 07:13 PM
Banned

Default Sealed Pattern, or not?

Good evening.
And for those of you not already watching this item, see ebay Item number: 251159709277.

KK2361. Sealed 19 April 1940. "Formed in 1939 as 12th (Tyneside Scottish) Bn, The Durham Light Infantry, it was transferred later that year as 1st Bn, The Tyneside Scottish, The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment)."

Well, that`s the entry in K&K. Also available in hallmarked silver of course.

But then nobody ever believes anything appearing in a book, do they?

Enjoy.

ST
Old 09-10-12, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
1947-55. 670th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment R.A. (Tyneside Scottish) (TA)

1955-56 became S (Tyneside Scottish) Battery of 439th LAA Regiment RA. (TA)

1956-67 Q (Tyneside Scottish) Battery R.A. of 439th (Tyne) L.A.A. Regiment R.A (TA)

In 1967, 439th , 274th, 324th (excuse designations) Regiments RA merged to form 101st (Northumbrian) Field Regiment R.A (V) The Tyneside Scottish disappeared.
However you mustn't forget that in 1967 until April 1969, you had 'D'(Tyneside Scottish)Company, 4/5/6th Bn, Royal Northumberland Fusiliers(T.A.), who continued with T.S. traditions as part of TAVR III.

The badge itself, as you point out, has sadly been "done to death", fortunately all of mine were obtained long before repro set-in. One of the better genuine broached ones coming out of a dustbin in Seaham Harbour.
Old 10-10-12, 05:18 PM

Here is a recent acquisition. 2nd pattern.

Gaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.jpg (85.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0038.jpg (83.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-10-12, 05:38 PM

A close-up of the detail for pattern #1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0046.jpg (89.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0047.jpg (99.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 10-10-12, 05:55 PM

Hi Gaz, just wanted to thank you for posting the rear pic with pin attachment. I could never work out what the deformation and extra solder was on mine, now I know...I always thought they were all lug attached.

Thanks

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (65.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 11-10-12, 05:13 PM

Just to add images to this thread, some images of the badge being worn. The photos are from my files and are not physically in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2708373-sh141110remem003_jpg-nopRef.jpg (13.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20fb90_4e26cf5db5a5d17d84d7bfcf5f08b9b0.jpg (11.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg BrVR8gCGkKGrHqEH-EMEvC3J5bO7BLzM4Y2HU_12.JPG (11.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg NPetersc.jpg (33.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg tynesidescot.jpg (13.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-10-12, 05:32 PM

Great photos, I am always surprised when serious collectors of insignia dont also collect pictures of badges being worn.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 11-10-12, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Great photos, I am always surprised when serious collectors of insignia dont also collect pictures of badges being worn.

P.B.
Dead right Peter, a lot can be learned from studying postcards and photos.
Old 11-10-12, 07:56 PM

SCAN0002.jpg 1st T.S..jpg

TS BADGE.jpg

Two photo's from my files showing the first pattern being worn & a badge from my collection still with it's original tartan backing, which originally belonged to 22/781 Piper Edward Roland Grieves, who died of wounds 6th July 1916 aged 18yrs.
Old 17-10-12, 10:26 PM

Simon, i understand that the original pattern badges were lugged on issue and pin fastenings were added later after removing the loops.
It would seem from ST`s post that most badges shown are incorrect as they have the voiding around the thistles. I have a couple, one in white metal non voided with a pin, and one in H/M silver which does have the voiding, not sure if ST`s comments apply also to the silver badges re. voiding?
Regards,
Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi Gaz, just wanted to thank you for posting the rear pic with pin attachment. I could never work out what the deformation and extra solder was on mine, now I know...I always thought they were all lug attached.

Thanks

Simon.
Old 18-10-12, 12:24 PM

If Grahams badge above is original with provinance from a veteren then the badges were voided? Unless I am wrong where I assume we refer to voiding?

TRT
Old 18-10-12, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrpltpara View Post
Simon, i understand that the original pattern badges were lugged on issue and pin fastenings were added later after removing the loops.
It would seem from ST`s post that most badges shown are incorrect as they have the voiding around the thistles. I have a couple, one in white metal non voided with a pin, and one in H/M silver which does have the voiding, not sure if ST`s comments apply also to the silver badges re. voiding?
Regards,
Bill.
Are you referring to the first or second pattern Bill.

Simon.
Old 20-10-12, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
Well I'm flabbergasted! Call Dr.Who! The Sealed card dated 1940 shown 2 posts previous was for a badge worn by a RA Regiment 7 years before it came into being. A mistake or fake?
Fact: In 1940 the TS were part of The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment).
Fact: 670th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment R.A. (Tyneside Scottish) (TA) was reconstituted on 01 Jan 1947.
Hi Guys,

I picked this actual (yes, actual) card up last week in Australia. It certainly looks the real deal and I have been looking at quite a few pattern cards over the last few years. I have also taken a hard look at it in relation to it being a forgery but it shows all the signs of being a good piece with physical attributes (that I am not going to go into here) as being (for example) consistent with the its storage over a certain period of time using the materials available of the era.

Note that the card is for:

670th LAA Regt (RA)
(Tyneside Scottish (B.W) Highland Regiment)

so it seems that the Tyneside Scottish are retaining their link to the Black Watch.

On investigating pattern cards and the procedure for introduction of an A/A badge (note I know nothing at all about non A/A items so may possibly come unstuck here) the procedure for creating pattern cards is:

When the badge die has been hardened, after the design being accepted by Colonel of Regiment and other interested parties, a certain number of prototype badges are made from the newly hardened dies.

If these pass muster then this initial batch is split up into a Master Pattern group and a Standard (or Working pattern group as per this example - later changed to Standard) Pattern group. Those badge that are not used for pattern sealing are probably discarded or at least leave the official procedure of introducing a new badge.

A pattern number is allocated from the pattern registry to the badge and it is sealed for the unit in question by attaching the badge to the card using tape and wax. Note that a pin has also been sealed with this badge.

Now, when this badge was sealed on the 19th April 1940 you can bet the farm that it was for the:

670th LAA Regt (RA)
(Tyneside Scottish (B.W) Highland Regiment)

Whether this unit was actual physically formed in April of 1940 is a totally different thing though and this may not have occurred until 1947 as previously noted. However, for all intends and purposes, I would suggest that the pattern card shown here in this thread is for the unit that it has been written up for and that the badge was certainly sealed for the 670th LAA Regt (RA), (Tyneside Scottish (B.W) Highland Regiment) on the 19th April 1940.

A check of the List of Changes from 1940 may or may not show the introduction of this badge and its inclusion, or otherwise, may help explain what actually happened to the 670th LAA Regt (RA) during 1940.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-11-12, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
A check of the List of Changes from 1940 may or may not show the introduction of this badge and its inclusion, or otherwise, may help explain what actually happened to the 670th LAA Regt (RA) during 1940.Chris
Chris, In 1940 There was no such beast as the 670th LAA Regt (RA) BW or TS affiliated or not. However thanks for the update. If genuine, I really don't mind being proven wrong. (I'm married, I'm used to it! )

It still seems incredible that in the midst of a world war that the British are actually close to loosing at that point, they can not only discuss possible or future changes to unit roll & manning let alone seal the insignia for it. Learn something new every day.

On a like but different note I bought this off Ebay.
Tyneside Scottish Desk Cigarette box. Auction said Circa 1915 it is Silver. 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. One off? No hallmarks and is lovely regardless of the date of manufacture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KGrHqZhYFCcyud04uBQnopI0Rg60_12.JPG (52.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 7967z_1.jpg (99.6 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by tynesideirish; 18-11-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: edited.