British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-12-11, 06:03 PM

Default Durban Police

I just picked up this Durban Borough Police badge. I believe that it was a cap badge. The later Durban City Police badge was a shoulder title. Durban Borough Police started in 1854 and then changed to Durban City Police in 1935 and then became Durban Metro Police in 1999. I believe that there was also a Durban Harbour Police a hundred odd years ago. Does anybody have any more info on the Durban Police? Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Durban.JPG (51.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-12-11, 08:06 PM

Hi Andrew
I have this and quite a few of the old Durban City Police stuff. I am told that it was the first constituted Police Force in the country. I would recommend 'A History of the Durban City Police' by Rev.Jack Jewell who gives the date of 1850 when it started with 3 members. I also have a DVD somewhere which I will try and track down of someone's further digging into their history
I scanned my badges fyi. I also have a few collars and one other which i have not mounted yet
Have a great Christmas
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Durban City Police 001.jpg (62.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 21-12-11, 05:37 AM

Thanks Bill, you have a nice set to the DCP. Merry Christmas to you too. Regards Andrew
Old 21-12-11, 11:44 AM

Bill

Your Durban Police collection has grown, well done!

They have some nice badges, how many are you missing?

Brian
Old 21-12-11, 07:11 PM

Yes it has, i suspect though that there are still a few of the orginal badges that I need to look for like DBP which I see Andrew has. When I see the photo's of the guys in fulldress from the past it would appear that one or two are different to the ones i presently have. These photo's are in the aformentioned book on their history.My collars appear quite old but still have the Durban city crest as it was those days
I have it on good authority that there was a comeplete collection in their HQ around all the changes in 1994, these have been destroyed and thrown away; what a shame as it is a force with a very coloured history

ANDREW
I saw a copy of the book I have at Last Chance books in Davenpoort Road, if interested I suggest contact him, he also uses bidorbuy under the same name at times or google the name

All the best
Bill
Old 21-12-11, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7923BSAP View Post
Yes it has, i suspect though that there are still a few of the orginal badges that I need to look for like DBP which I see Andrew has. When I see the photo's of the guys in fulldress from the past it would appear that one or two are different to the ones i presently have. These photo's are in the aformentioned book on their history.My collars appear quite old but still have the Durban city crest as it was those days
I have it on good authority that there was a comeplete collection in their HQ around all the changes in 1994, these have been destroyed and thrown away; what a shame as it is a force with a very coloured history

ANDREW
I saw a copy of the book I have at Last Chance books in Davenpoort Road, if interested I suggest contact him, he also uses bidorbuy under the same name at times or google the name

All the best
Bill
That is horrific. That is why I don't like museums, big or small. A private collector always treasures his stuff. Regards Andrew