British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-08-08, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default Scottish horse - sizes?

Chaps,

Can any one tell me the height of a Scottish Horse cap badge compared to the collar badge? They were the same design and I presume both lugged.

Alan
Old 11-08-08, 01:32 PM

Alan,
I don't have any collar badges, but the 2 badges below are: Left cap/NCO arm badge in brass and Right is the cap badge (According to Cox).
They are different patterns, but are identical in size.
The are both - Height 46mm x Width 32mm.
Hope you find this of some use.
STM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6009473.jpg (73.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-08-08, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. Mine is slightly different. W/M with a kings crown and no voiding of the wreath. It is 45mm high but only 30mm wide. It is die struck rather than cast (as I would expect an NCOs badge to be cast or solid backed?) and appears original.

Hopefully some one knows the collars' size?

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dd67_1.jpg (22.2 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 11-08-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 03:26 PM

Default collar size

1 3/8" x 1".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scots horse collar.jpg (20.5 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 16-08-08 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

NCC,

Thank you for that. I work only in metric but I think my mm dimensions are 1 7/8 INS H, 1 1/4INS W so that would make it considerably larger than a collar badge.

What I had not considered was the possibility of it being an Arm badge. It does not have the voided wreath of the cap badge shown above.

Alan
Old 11-08-08, 03:50 PM

Default arm badge

the arm badge i have is cast voided and 48mm x 32mm.the white metal cap badge is 45mm x 30mm and non voided.
Old 11-08-08, 03:55 PM

Alan,
According to Cox, the badge that I have shown in brass and the one you have are both described as cap badges, he then states that it is the brass/gilding metal one which was worn on the arm on black cloth backing.
His is the only reference for this I have seen, but to be honest, I would have thought the white metal one would have been the badge that doubled as the arm, because the amount of all brass NCO arm badges is very small and most are made from white metal or silver.
Of course with no conflicting evidence, I suppose we must go with the book for now.
STM.
I think some photographic evidence is needed here.
As regards whether or not it would be cast, I would say no. More probably semi die struck - ie just the male die used, making it flat backed. Having said that, if it was also a cap badge aswell, I have no problem with it being fully stamped out.

Last edited by Saddle tree maker; 11-08-08 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 04:44 PM

Default collars

Two slightly different pattens WW1 brass,thin one 23mm x 36mm
fatter one 25mm x 36mm.
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0006.jpg (92.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-08-08, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle tree maker View Post
Alan,

As regards whether or not it would be cast, I would say no. More probably semi die struck - ie just the male die used, making it flat backed. Having said that, if it was also a cap badge aswell, I have no problem with it being fully stamped out.

Yes I meant semi-die struck rather than cast. I believe that the k/c ones were worn later than the Scottish crown but wold seek confirmation of that. I do not trust any of Cox's 'unique' claims in his book as it is not 100% right in lots of places and shows a number of WW2 and later badges as WW1 era.

Alan
Old 04-12-09, 08:03 PM
L&BH

Am seeking a WW2 cap badge to the Scottish Horse, so K/C crown? Couldn't be the Scottish Crown for that period?
Cheers
Phil
Old 06-12-09, 12:36 PM

Default arm badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Yes I meant semi-die struck rather than cast. I believe that the k/c ones were worn later than the Scottish crown but wold seek confirmation of that. I do not trust any of Cox's 'unique' claims in his book as it is not 100% right in lots of places and shows a number of WW2 and later badges as WW1 era.

Alan
Alan I believe the LH flat backed badge (56X37) to be an arm badge. You can see that although there has been a terrible attempt to fix a slider to it, it was originaly lugged.
The RH badge (46X32) I am not 100% sure of, although it to looks like it may have marks for lugs.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020745.jpg (65.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1020746.jpg (58.4 KB, 24 views)

Tags
scottish horse, yeomanry