British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-13, 07:56 PM

Default WW1 Era Matchbox Holder

Hello all,

I bought this WW1 Era matchbox holder from a local market a few months ago. I guess it was made after the War as it has all five years marked on it. By the look of it, it has been hand stamped with a punch tool or probably more than one, rather than engraved. It is a really hard brass and does not bend but still has a good shine on it although it is a bit out of shape.

On one face in the centre it reads: Souvenir Of The War 1918 with 1914 1915 1916 and 1917 in each corner.

On the other face in the centre it reads: L. Ayriss. Then four Battle Honours: Somme at the top, Roisel at the left, Hamel at the right and Peronne along the bottom.

On the edge it reads: France.

Sorry about the quality of the images, it was a bit difficult to photograph with the shiny surface etc. Any comments welcome and thanks in advance,

Regards Alan Y.

MB 01.JPG MB 02.JPG MB 03.JPG MB 04.JPG
Old 15-10-13, 03:04 AM

What a lovely item! Thanks for sharing it.

Would the brass be from a shell casing, do you think?

Donny B.
Old 15-10-13, 04:28 AM

Lovely piece of 'Trench art'
Old 15-10-13, 07:52 AM

Smile Trench art

It's nice to see something of this nature with a name inscribed on it, possibly traceable. I have a few anonymous items which are inscribed with locations and use the odd piece of insignia to embellish them.

Rob
Old 15-10-13, 06:50 PM

very nice, there apears to be only 2 L.Ayriss's in the Medal index card collection and one of them died in 1917, so most likely the other man.
Old 15-10-13, 07:29 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the comments. I thought I would show the item as I was amazed at the work the owner must have put into making it, all hand punched in what looks like individual dot marks of varying shapes and sizes.
As to the material, I have held a few trench art pieces which are shell cases, many still have the original base to them, but couldn’t say for sure if this was the same gauge brass as they were. I cannot remember the SWG details of sheet brass from my engineering days, but this about 1/32” thickness or just under 1mm, so perhaps someone could tell if it was from a shell case. Because of the amount available at the time, it would most likely that he would have used one for this piece.
I have only had a quick look on the Internet for the surname Ayriss, and it locates a branch of the family in Northamptonshire, which may well make it a local item to where I live. It would be great to find out a bit more about the owner and if he went through most of the War or even all of it.

Regards Alan.