British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-14, 04:41 AM

Default Canada Flags - Infa Red

Hi guys I picked this lot up at the gun show today. The more I look at them I think they are airsoft crap but I thought I'd ask the Forum just in case they are good. All have black Velcro backing except the sand coloured, round ISAF badge which appears to have heat activated glue backing.

I do not have a IR light source but when I shine a red laser on the Canadian and US flags they do fluoresce. In darkness they do not glow nor do they glow under black light. I note a polygonal texture to images I've seen of Canadian forces in Afghanistan. Only the small IR flag has this texture, the large flag has a 6-sided dimpled texture. There is an outer surface can be lifted off a underlying reflective surface.

Comments?

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-flags.jpg (99.2 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by GregN; 24-08-14 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, The top left Canada and bottom right Canada flag look good to me. I think the lot is okay, but I am not sure if the large subdued pattern Canada flag was issue. The small subdued Canada flag was worn / is worn on combat and cadpat uniforms. Can you post an image of the back of the ISAF?
Old 10-02-14, 06:28 PM

Hi Bill, here is the back of both ISAF patches. The round one has what appears to be a heat activated glue backing. The rectangular patch on cammo is, I assume US issue. It come with a sew-on coyote coloured patch of Velcro.

I spoke with a serving senior NCO at the show. He mentioned that many soldiers returned from Afghanistan or other missions continue to wear the IR flags but that he has orders to collect these from the soldiers as "the war is over" and return them for disposal. He said he could get me several if I wanted them but then disappeared into the crowd!

G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-ISAFFT.jpg (85.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 1-ISAFBK.jpg (96.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-02-14, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, I think the plastic on the back of the round ISAF is actually the stiffening or backing. I have experimented with some of the so called heat activated combat titles, with absolutely no sticking. In addition all the Afghan theatre patches I have seen have had the velcro sewn to the patches, not ironed on. There was some debate and no conclusion, but the round ISAF patches were worn by Canadians, and the rectangular ones were attributed to the US.
Old 11-02-14, 03:00 AM

Thanks Bill, as always very helpful

Greg
Old 11-02-14, 06:49 PM

The camo ISAF I am not sure but don't think it is USA. The camo style is more that of France or Belgium. I know I have seen that pattern before. As for the round ISAF patch, it looks smaller than the typical ones I used to see. Interesting that it is a sew on style.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 11-02-14, 11:36 PM

Hi Greg

I'd say that if the top left is black & tan (looks like that in photo) then the only 2 that are possibly worn by Cdns would be the bottom right 2. The big IR Canada Flag was green and black and had the polygonal print same as the black, white, silver IR Recognition patch and small IR maple leaf. Peel a protective film off the patch and glue to the Velcro. Sometimes backed up with machine stitching. I had to build my own small ones.

The square ISAF looks Dutch and, although Cliff is better able to speak on the varieties, I never saw one w/o the Velcro except in the various national PX's.

regards
Darrell
Old 13-02-14, 01:03 PM

I have looked through my photos, and have been racking my brain on this ISAF patch. I am not sure the camo origin. It is different from the Dutch I am accustom to seeing.

I note the cyclic writing is different and although I do not understand the writing, it looks (when compared to others) to be nonsense. Sort of like those Chinese character tattoos people get. Further to that it is of a construction I am not aware of. BU having said all this, I would not dismiss this patch at this time.

Old 13-02-14, 02:46 PM

Hi Greg

I think it's a Dutch ISAF Patch (whether issue or private purchase) because of the dimensions and cam pattern on the back ground.

Seen a near example here:

http://www.combatshop.nl/index.php?c...87&language=EN

As for the Pastu under the square patch ISAF, I think it translate to "INFIDEL".

regards
Darrell
Old 13-02-14, 03:58 PM

Thanks for comments so far guys. Just looking at the plethora of real and fantasy patches out there for Afghanistan I'm glad that I don't actively collect them. I find them extremely interesting though and I hope that some time in the future there will be an album dedicated to them.

Greg
Old 21-02-14, 01:46 AM

Hi

An issue pair.

regards
Darrell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0923.JPG (81.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 21-02-14, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Hi

An issue pair.

regards
Darrell
Darrell, That Canada Flag is not as common as the stitched version. It is my understanding these ones were issued in Canada. They didn't last very long as the facing would separate from the backing.

I had a hard time getting one in KAF, in fact I traded a Cpl co-worker of mine a stitched one for his non-stitched version.

Old 21-02-14, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
Thanks for comments so far guys. Just looking at the plethora of real and fantasy patches out there for Afghanistan I'm glad that I don't actively collect them. I find them extremely interesting though and I hope that some time in the future there will be an album dedicated to them.

Greg
Greg, are you a member of Canadian Military Collectors Forum? We have a 16 page discussion on this very topic. It can be found at the following link.

http://www.cdnmilitarycollectors.com...om-afghanistan

Old 21-02-14, 12:07 PM

Hi Cliff

Yeah, that's just a primo keeper for the collection. You are correct in that they were usually sewn but in keeping with the thread, this one showed the geometric shapes in the material nicely.

regards
Darrell
Old 21-02-14, 01:40 PM

You got that right Darrell. Primo badge for sure. I would never part with mine. They just don't come up very often at all.