British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-21, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonclanger View Post
Re the badge sold for £50 without enamel. This may have been picked up previously (I've not read every post here, so apologies if it has) but there appears to be remnants of enamelling. I assume the enamel was cracked or missing pieces and someone cleaned out the rest (a laborious process but if you get £50...). I highlighted two areas that look to have extant enamel.
A couple of "War Service" badges have appeared recently that were described as "rare" and "genuine" when it was obvious that the enamel had been removed (for whatever reason). Each time a ridiculous price was asked for basically a damaged badge.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 13-03-21, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
I thought I had one of those shown by Londonclanger so dug deep into my Junk box and came up with this. Obviously NOT the same but which War was this issued in and is it traceable by the number? Would appreciate any information. Best regards, David J.
Hi David ,

Your badge is the 'economy' version of a badge issued to workers waiting for placement in factories it replaced the red enamelled one.

They were meant to be returned and replaced with the 1915 oval version once employment started.

1915 Enrollment Plain

1915 Enrollment Enamel

As far as I am aware there is no central record of the numbers on the badges.

Old 13-03-21, 05:32 PM

Thanks Mike, It seems a nice badge for “Economy” version, Warranted fire gilt?
Am I miss-reading your caption in your album photo as against other captions you have printed? Regards, David J.
Old 14-03-21, 07:09 AM

Hi David ,

My reply was posted while I was watch the rugby on TV so may not have been clear/accurate. (plus I have to update/edit my album).

The original "War Munitions Volunteer" badge had a red enamel finish , these were issued to workers who had enrolled to work in the munitions industry/factory but had not yet been placed in a position.

When the number of workers required increased it was decided to produce an 'economy' version of the badge without the enamel finish.

They were supposed to be returned and replaced with the 1915 oval version once employment started but many were not .

Old 14-03-21, 10:09 AM

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info and I hope that the rugby went the way you wanted it to. I acquired a damaged enamel War Munitions Volunteer and decided that it was worth seeing if it could be repaired.

The people who will mess around with this type of exercise are fewer and fewer but I do know one. All fixed now!

Most of the red enamel WMV badges I see have fairly low numbers (3 or 4 digits) so maybe indicating that they weren't that numerous or that the numbers increased so dramatically that they just opted for the plain brass one.
Old 14-03-21, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Most of the red enamel WMV badges I see have fairly low numbers (3 or 4 digits) so maybe indicating that they weren't that numerous or that the numbers increased so dramatically that they just opted for the plain brass one.
The two I have are numbered 929 and 5059 , the plain (economy) version is numbered 5968. I don't know if the numbering reset to 01 for the economy version ?

I wonder how long the WMV (enrollment) badges were issued , as the need for workers increased dramatically the factories would not want any delays in recruitment/start dates.

The 1915 enamel OWS one I have is numbered 81760 and as there was only one series of this badge the maximum produced would have been 99,999.

By 31st July 1916 approximately 1,300,000 of the plain 1915 OWS (economy) badges had been issued , so the savings in time/cost of manufacturing the badges makes sense.

Edit : National Museums Northern Ireland has an example of a WMV (economy) badge that is numbered 99846 .

Last edited by mike_vee; 14-03-21 at 11:47 AM.
Old 14-03-21, 01:29 PM

Hi Guys, You might note that mine in post 210 is numbered 86604. I would offer it for sale but I’m having difficulty with dealing with Canada post / GPO. So at the moment, don’t trust either of the two! Regards, D.J.
Old 15-03-21, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
The two I have are numbered 929 and 5059 , the plain (economy) version is numbered 5968. I don't know if the numbering reset to 01 for the economy version ?

I wonder how long the WMV (enrollment) badges were issued , as the need for workers increased dramatically the factories would not want any delays in recruitment/start dates.

The 1915 enamel OWS one I have is numbered 81760 and as there was only one series of this badge the maximum produced would have been 99,999.

By 31st July 1916 approximately 1,300,000 of the plain 1915 OWS (economy) badges had been issued , so the savings in time/cost of manufacturing the badges makes sense.

Edit : National Museums Northern Ireland has an example of a WMV (economy) badge that is numbered 99846 .

I'll check my numbers on my two enameled WMV badges and list them.

I think I've already posted a photo of an "economy" brass WMV badge with its paperwork but can put it up again if it has got lost in all our discussions.
Old 15-03-21, 05:47 AM

Default War Munitions Volunteer with certificate

Hi

Here again are the photos of the economy WMV badge and certificate. Interesting to see if he was called up later on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wmv.jpg (48.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg wmv1.jpg (37.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 15-03-21, 09:45 AM

Found this bit of info on the GWF forum :
"For those interested, the history of the WMV scheme can be found at the National Archive in MUN 5 /346"

Unfortunately the document isn't available on-line , so I may visit when things are back to normal.

Did find the 'cover' document that lists the topics , especially these two :

6. Voluntary undertaking to work for Ministry of Munitions.

8. Rules as to badges.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Munitions.jpg (113.4 KB, 8 views)

Old 15-03-21, 02:32 PM

I have a box of badges and medals that belonged to my Gt Grandfather who was a staff officer in the 53rd Div artillery in Egypt and Palestine in the 1st WW.
However, there is a crowned brass badge ON WAR SERVICE 1915, three cannons. There is a M on the back of the crown, just below is J R Gaunt London. and at the bottom WARRANTED FIRE GILT. however the number 38128 is on the ?clip.

I assume it was not Gt Gfthr's as he was away in 1915 - would it be from a relative - even his wife????

Is there somewhere to look up these numbers ?

many thanks
J
Old 15-03-21, 03:20 PM

The plain brass 1915 OWS badges were produced by different manufacturers and the were 13 different letters used to indicate the different 'series' made.

When the first 'series' (K) reached 99,999 then the next 'series' (L) took over , the final 'series' produced has the letter Z.

1915 ‘On War Service’ alphanumeric series makers

Although the badges had 1915 on them , that was simply the year they were introduced. They continued to be issued until the end of the war in 1918.

Unfortunately any records of the numbers seems to have been lost/destroyed , so unless you had the documentation (certificate) that came with the badge it is impossible to check who it was issued to.

Women had their own badge (introduced in 1916) , so possibly some other relative ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916.jpg (44.7 KB, 2 views)

Old 15-03-21, 11:16 PM

Default War Munitions Volunteer badges

Hi folks

Here are some of the War Munitions Volunteer badges that I've put together. Pretty standard ones, I guess, but I thought it was interesting to see that one of the two enameled badges has no number and also a variation in the horseshoe fitting.

You will also note a difference in the font of the numbers.

For those of you with an interest in my previous posts, it was the badge without the number that received the attentions of a restorer.

Please note that this line up does not include the WMV badge that came with its original certificate. From a quick check, it would seems that the wearer did not serve in the forces but maybe, based on what munitions work was like, that was danger enough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wmv4.jpg (40.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg wmv5.jpg (45.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 15-03-21, 11:22 PM

Default Women's Volunteer Reserve, 1915

Hi

I'd be keen to know more about this badge and any work that the wearers undertook. OK, Google will answer this but much more interesting to hear what our members can contribute!

I notice that the back stamp is the same as those found on the 1914 Admiralty badges and also some of the private issue badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg womensreserve.jpg (39.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg womensreserve1.jpg (37.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 15-03-21, 11:40 PM

Default Air Board badge, 1917-18

Hi

Grateful for comments on this small, gold(?) hand-engraved badge. It either recognises service or shows that the wearer is "doing their bit".

The fact that it is names to the reverse could help if anyone wanted to look up Ancestry for me?

Hopefully the photo of the front of the badge is clear enough but I can provide a better one if that would help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airboard.jpg (33.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg airboard1.jpg (42.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dumdum; 15-03-21 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Should read "named" rather than "names"....