British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-13, 02:26 AM

Default Joe Harper's "Source of Pride"

I am still moving forward with a reprint of "Source of Pride" by Joe Harper. To do this justice I am trying to locate better quality images to replace those that appeared in the first print-run. If you have any of these badges, possibly through Marway who disposed of the collection for the Harper family, please let me know.
Cheers,
Clive
Old 20-01-13, 03:53 PM

Glad to see you're doing a reprint... it's a book that has always eluded me...
Old 20-01-13, 07:00 PM

I have a copy I got quite some time ago... it eludes me as well and it is somewhere in the house. Wish my wife would quit moving my stuff. Honestly, I do not recall ever having a look through it.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 21-01-13, 10:20 PM

Clive:
I have four of the badges from the Harper collection out of the Source of Pride. I got them from a fellow in Winnipeg who got them out of the auction. If that would help, let me know.
Don
Old 21-01-13, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefguy View Post
Clive:
I have four of the badges from the Harper collection out of the Source of Pride. I got them from a fellow in Winnipeg who got them out of the auction. If that would help, let me know.
Don

That would definitely help. What I need are photos or scans at 300DPI.

Thxn,
Clive
Old 22-01-13, 09:49 PM

Default Badges - both Joe Harper and Bob Russell Collections

Clive,

I have a number of the badges illustrated in the book, 'A Source of Pride'. I am currently having my entire collection photographed by a friend at between 300-600 DPI. One of my aims was to make good the gaps in the B&C MBF CEF Project; a few of my initial photo 'hole-fillers' are now in the portfolio.

If all you want are better photographs of only those items shown in the original publication then I should be able to assist. However, as a publisher I'm sure you are able to embellish your original publication with other badges. If that's the case then an idea of what you are after would be a really useful starting point.

Also, you give no indication in your original post of when you would like these photographs. I only ask because it takes time to photograph over 1000 badges and if I knew what you were after then I could prioritise your wants over my longer term plan.

Over to you,

Lovat
Old 22-01-13, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Clive, Perhaps the B&CMBF could fill in any gaps with images from the Galleries?
Old 23-01-13, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milcollectorblue View Post
Clive,

I have a number of the badges illustrated in the book, 'A Source of Pride'. I am currently having my entire collection photographed by a friend at between 300-600 DPI. One of my aims was to make good the gaps in the B&C MBF CEF Project; a few of my initial photo 'hole-fillers' are now in the portfolio.

If all you want are better photographs of only those items shown in the original publication then I should be able to assist. However, as a publisher I'm sure you are able to embellish your original publication with other badges. If that's the case then an idea of what you are after would be a really useful starting point.

Also, you give no indication in your original post of when you would like these photographs. I only ask because it takes time to photograph over 1000 badges and if I knew what you were after then I could prioritise your wants over my longer term plan.

Over to you,

Lovat
Hi Lovat

This would be great. I am looking for end of February but that may be wishful thinking.
I do not plan on adding any images as I am not trying to publish a second edition, just a second printing.
Long term plans would be to publish the ultimate CEF badge book.

Clive
Old 23-01-13, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Clive, Perhaps the B&CMBF could fill in any gaps with images from the Galleries?
Bill,
I took a quick look the other night and only found one badge that replaces an image in the book.

C
Old 23-01-13, 09:01 PM

Default Images/Photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Hi Lovat

This would be great. I am looking for end of February but that may be wishful thinking.
I do not plan on adding any images as I am not trying to publish a second edition, just a second printing.
Long term plans would be to publish the ultimate CEF badge book.

Clive
Hi Clive,

Ones I could help with are (using current version of the publication):

1. Fig 14 - I don't have this particular badge but have one exactly the same design for the 2nd Reserve Bn, lugged with no makers mark (just in case the actual 4th Bn badge does't turn up). I also have another one, again cap badge sized for Western Universities, Southern Manitoba with 5 unit titles shown (1 CMR, 46 BATT, 19 RES, 196, and 222).

2. Fig 18: collar badge to 5th PEI Seige Arty Draft.

3. Fig 22: 7th CMR cap badge

4. Fig 23: O'seas MR cap badge (I think I've got this one - need to re-check).

5. Fig 27: Pioneer Draft (and not Pioneer Depot as described).

6. Fig 29: Collar (or sometimes cap) badge to Yukon MMG. (I know that Paul Ayehurst has a large version cap badge).

7. Fig 34: NS Forestry Draft/Depot cap badge.

8. Fig 42: Valcartier Camp Staff cap badge.

9. Fig 43: FCC Auxillary (plus variant shown in Charlton: 155-1-1-2 if that is of any use to place alongside that illustrated).

10. Fig 44: Knights of Columbus CAH (both cap and collar badge).

11. Fig 45: Dept of Soldiers' Civil Re-establisment.

12. Fig 49: WVR Edmonton (both cap and shoulder title - missing collar badge).

13. Fig 59: 3rd Div Cav Sqn title.

14. Fig 62: AMGB No 1 (this is now shown in the B&C MBF CEF Project under the heading/title '1st CMMG Bde').

15. Fig 63: 3rd MGC shoulder title (again I'll have to check).

16. Fig 70: 'MALAMUTES/CANADA' shoulder title.

17. Fig 71: I have a very good photo (not mine I have to add), which I have already shared on this Forum, of a non-cast but totally genuine version of this (almost certainly) sporran badge. I could check with the owner of the badge to see if he would be happy to see this photo re-printed in the updated edition of 'A Source of Pride'. If not I have a cast, but again genuine version of this badge (probably like a number of other Forum members) that I could have photographed.

18. Fig 75: I have all 3 makeshift badges shown here.

19. Fig 75: 105th Bn cap badge.

20. Fig 77: Both the 88th & 168th Bn cap badges.

21. Fig 78: 154th Bn (Eaton's pattern).

I think that will do for now.

I'll see what I can do about getting these to you before the end of Feb.

I'm also providing Chris Brooker access to my photographic collection for reasons I am sure you are familiar with.

Bon chance ,

Lovat
Old 23-01-13, 09:13 PM

Lovat
That will certainly address a large chunk of my needs. Thnx.
C
Old 11-03-13, 01:52 PM

Thanks to Lovat and Don Fair I can replace a fair number of the badge images with either identical (sometimes the actual same) badges or with different badges that illustrate the same point.
There are still a few gaps so please feel free to contact me if you have any of the Joe Harper/Bob Russell badges in your collection. At some point soon I will be able to provide a list of 'wants".
I am also looking to replace the contemporary portrait photos as these also suffer from low-resolution.

Cheers,
Clive
Old 12-11-13, 03:49 AM

"A Source of Pride" by Joe Harper will be available for delivery at the end of the month (November) and orders are now being accepted.
See servicepub.com for details.

Clive