British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-11, 07:39 PM

Smile My Top 20 - show us yours!

I thought today that I would create a new album showing my 20 favourite badges from my collection. Not in any particular order, just the order I could find them on my disc. Each with the reason I like it
So here is the challenge - download your top 20 and give us a piece with each one as to why you like it!
Almost Desert Island cap badges

Get downloading!

John
Old 27-07-11, 08:24 PM

I like this John, you've got me thinking now mate !! I'll see what I can come up with, good idea though
Wilf.
Old 27-07-11, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
I like this John, you've got me thinking now mate !! I'll see what I can come up with, good idea though
Wilf.
Thanks Wilf,
I'm sure you'll produce some fantastic examples - as always.

John
Old 04-08-11, 04:30 PM

Not exactly generating the rush of enthusiasm I had hoped for.

Is there anyone out there?

John
Old 04-08-11, 05:00 PM

Hi John, I could post my top ten to date that I like, but I don't have that an exotic collection.

Simon.
Old 04-08-11, 05:00 PM

Maybe I'll do an new album and have the top ten in that.

Simon.
Old 04-08-11, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi John, I could post my top ten to date that I like, but I don't have that an exotic collection.

Simon.
Hi Simon,
Doesn't have to be anything expensive or exotic. Just ones that you like especially, and maybe a piece with them as to why. Maybe the first one you bought, or one with a bit of family history.
Thanks for taking part.

John
Old 04-08-11, 05:48 PM

John would love to join in on this one,unfortunately my lap top is on the blink and am using my phone to access the forum so can't post any pics
Regards Tony.
Old 04-08-11, 05:53 PM

Well John, I kicked it off with the reason for my collecting. I'll start looking through the collection and post as I pick them out.

Regards

Simon.
Old 04-08-11, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Well John, I kicked it off with the reason for my collecting. I'll start looking through the collection and post as I pick them out.

Regards

Simon.
Thanks Simon.
Some lovely badges there already. Looking forward to seeing the rest. Not an easy task by any means. Love the picture by the way. Quite a cross section in there. Big fella in back row looks like he could shift a few heavy artillery shells with no problems at all!

John
Old 04-08-11, 08:58 PM
Banned

Hi John,

Pleased to join in your bit of fun and it's about time I had a few badges up anyway.

Here you go:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1113

Regards

Ry
Old 05-08-11, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Hi John,

Pleased to join in your bit of fun and it's about time I had a few badges up anyway.

Here you go:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1113

Regards

Ry
Brilliant Ry,
Thanks for taking part. Lovely selection.

Thanks

John
Old 05-08-11, 09:13 AM

Hi John, I don't even have 20 badges lol
Old 05-08-11, 10:11 AM
Peter J

John,

Great idea for a thread - very interesting so far and some beautiful badges too.

In attempting to put this post together, I discovered that a maximum of fifteen images per post are allowed; therefore I am afraid I have had to extend my contribution across more than one post. Sorry about that.

Here, in no particular order, is my modest top twenty:

1. EA.jpg

First is this A/A East Anglian cap badge, which is special to me as it is the actual badge issued to my Dad in 1959, when his regiment (The Royal Norfolk) was amalgamated with The Suffolk Regiment. He was married in uniform and this badge is pictured in my parents' wedding photos. His Royal Norfolk, Britannia cap badge has long since disappeared, and I often wonder where it might be now.

2. CLNGV.jpg

I have a bit of a soft spot for all things London, particularly the City of London, and this City of London National Guard Volunteers cap badge ticks every box. Simply the armourial bearings of The City of London, and a beautiful, Gaunt-made badge... superb.

3. NZ SC.jpgNZ SC rev.jpg

This New Zealand Staff Corps cap badge looks far better in the flesh than is does in this photo. It is in superb condition and was formerly part of the Walter Lambert Collection. It is as heavy as hell but a very pleasing, crisp, bronze, badge.

4. HMS PR.jpg

Another family connection now with this sweetheart brooch. Particularly meaningful to me, as my maternal Grandfather saw heavy action at the Battle of Jutland serving as a gunner aboard this vessel, witnessing the deaths of many of his friends and hundreds of his brothers in arms. A very brave yet quietly-spoken man, who somehow managed to survive the horrors of the Great War. A recent purchase, this, but a welcome addition to the collection.

5. RA Beret.jpgRA Beret rev.jpg

I can't imagine this next badge to be in anybody's top one-hundred, let alone twenty. It's worn and tired and certainly seen better days, but that's exactly what I like about it. Barely a breath left in this little Royal Artillery beret badge, but I bet it could tell many a tale.

6. POR.jpg

Here, in my opinion, is a really cracking Post Office Rifles cap badge. I gave it a sympathetic clean a while ago, and it came up looking really great. It is in pretty good nick, and sits very happily in my London collection.

7. Suffolk.jpg

Not a lot I can say about this one; nothing particularly special about this 'economy strike' Suffolk Regiment cap badge... I just like it.

8. IL.jpgIL Crown.jpg

Not strictly military, this Irish Lights cap badge. This all-brass version was worn by Assistant Lighthouse Keepers and by Ratings aboard lighthouse tenders, with the w/m pattern badge being for the Principal Lighthouse Keepers and for Petty Officers of tenders. Very nice detail to this badge - good original dark lugs with dark solder; well defined lined sky, crisp definition to the back and front, plus plenty of age, wear and patina, and just look at that crown!

9. RF.jpgRF rev.jpg

Here is another heavy cap badge badge; a really nice, bladed, OSD to The Royal Fusiliers.

10. FSR.jpgFSR rev.jpg

Another of my weaknesses is F. E. Woodward badges. Here is a good example of a London Regiment cap badge, and note the incorrect battle honour date of 1903 on the lower arm of the cross. Great little badge.

Continued below...

Last edited by Peter J; 05-08-11 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 10:12 AM
Peter J

(Continued from above)

11. NR.jpg

Of all the examples I have of this pre-1935 Norfolk Regiment pattern, this has to be my favourtie. Britannia is particularly well fashioned, and the shield is unusual in that the Cross of St. George has no outline (presumably a maker's variation).

12. AAC.jpg

Nothing outstanding about this little Fraser & Glass, plastic ACC cap badge, but once again, I just like it. No warping, N/S blades fully in tact, and not in bad overall condition. Just a nice little badge.

13. KRRC.jpg

I was very pleased a few months ago, to be able to add this slidered KK675 to the looped example I already had. Blacking virtually all gone, but still a very nice example with crisp lettering and long slider.

14. Wessex Obverse.jpgWessex Reverse.jpg

Just an inexpensive, little A/A cap badge to The Wessex Brigade, but I love the detail to the reverse. Always liked the Wyvern design of this badge too.

15. DSCF3364.jpg

Last family connection here. Mine Celarance Service sleeve badge worn by my Granddad (not this actual example) during his time with this unit in 1919. He had already served with the Royal Navy since 1913, and volunteered for this work when, like the other men of the MCS, could quite easily have taken a less arduous path. Brave fellows all.

16. DSCF5069.jpgDSCF5119.jpg

Here's another little cleaning project I undertook a while back. This was a sorry-looking, unloved badge with a fair bit of damage, but it cleaned up a treat. Certainly no show-stopper, but I like it.

17. General.jpgGeneral (1).jpg

This is another badge that is not going to break any hearts, but it is one of those finds that came my way for next to nothing, is in pretty decent condition, and gives me great pleasure to look at. Just a very pleasing badge.

18. DSCF4076.jpg

Next is this super Norfolk Regiment, bronze, officers' & WOs' cap badge, which came to me courtesy of forum member Matti467. Again, a pleasure to look at (in my opinion) and a welcome addition to my Norfolk collection.

19. 17th obv.jpg17th rev.jpg

Here is an ordinary Poplar & Stepney Rifles cap badge, but have a look at that slider - a work of art in itself. It's a great little badge this one, and in places where the black paint has come away, it has revealed patches of bright, shiny brass beneath, though hard to see clearly from the images.

20. KRRC 1.jpg

Here is the looped KK675, as mentioned above. Quite different from my other example.

That's my top twenty - very difficult to choose, and I am sure we could all pour over which of our badges to include for days on end.

A great bit of fun, John, and a pleasure to compile, though I wonder if, in a year's time, we will all have changed our opinions.

All the best,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 05-08-11 at 04:48 PM.