British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-20, 05:02 PM

Default Military Badge Collecting vs Fine Art

To all members of the Forum,
Fully recognizing and sympathizing with the ongoing and escalating level of frustration, and financial loss, associated with counterfeit and altered military badges in various configurations, I would like to put the circumstances in perspective. If as a military badge collector you think your challenge is overwhelming, you might want to compare your situation to that of the collector of fine art. So next time if someone asks you, “Is that what’s troubling you Bucky?”, stop and consider the following recent article detailing how bad the circumstances are in the arena of fine art. I know all things are relative. It's Arnhemjim, not exactly a new member.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to Spot a Perfect Fake.pdf (335.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-01-20, 05:18 PM
MarkGD

Jim, thanks for sharing, interesting reading, Regards Mark
Old 05-01-20, 05:29 PM

I've often felt some plates and badges are very "fine" art in themselves, but, the same old pitfalls plague all aspects of the whole art and antique marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhem Jim View Post
To all members of the Forum,
Fully recognizing and sympathizing with the ongoing and escalating level of frustration, and financial loss, associated with counterfeit and altered military badges in various configurations, I would like to put the circumstances in perspective. If as a military badge collector you think your challenge is overwhelming, you might want to compare your situation to that of the collector of fine art. So next time if someone asks you, “Is that what’s troubling you Bucky?”, stop and consider the following recent article detailing how bad the circumstances are in the arena of fine art. I know all things are relative. It's Arnhemjim, not exactly a new member.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 05-01-20 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 06:53 PM

Thanks for posting.

Chris
Old 05-01-20, 10:34 PM

Very confusing that we have two Arnhem Jim members. However, after reading the seven page link in the original post by Arnhem Jim, I quickly went off forum to make myself a late lunch. When I returned to the forum after 20 minutes, the post had gone and I had wanted to respond to it. (Yes I know, one is with a space, one is all one word!). The point I wish to make is, that this happens on a regular basis. Sometimes it is because, as in my own case, there is a geographical time difference of the posting of one post in reference to the following post,(in the same sub-forum). For example, I have posted late evening my time (possibly 05:00Zulu time) when I look for a reply at say 09:00 EST (Ontario,Canada) my post has already been obliterated, (thread has changed) meaning that many people were denied the chance to see mine, (or another’s post). I wonder if other members have thoughts on this or even if one of our extremely worthy moderators would care to mention the possibility of a 30 hour posting time, ie, a thread cannot change before a 30 hour period has elapsed from the time of an original post in any sub-forum.
Referencing again, the link from Arnhem Jim’s original post, though long in length, was an absolutely worthy read. I am sure that at least HALF the forum members had no chance to see it or even know of it’s existence. Best regards, David J. (Across the pond in Canada).
Old 05-01-20, 10:40 PM

And Yes, I know, the previous post was re-opened by me in less than 30 hours from the previous thread change, but to be fair when you attempt to “Blast” me, the previous thread had to all intents and purposes, “finished” itself by the thanks of the originator.

Last edited by Artynut; 05-01-20 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 06-01-20, 02:58 AM

Hello Artynut and other members of the Forum,
In an attempt to clarify and correct, may I please establish the fact that I am one and the same person, i.e. Arnhem Jim and Arnhemjim somehow have been created, eiher through some fault of my own, and/or the administrators of the Forum. If you compare the subject matter, form and content of the posts, listed under both names, you will observe a striking coincidence and intrer-connection between all the posts. In addition I always sign Arizona Territory. On repeated occasion I have tried to get the Forum administrators to merge both sets of posts to no avail. Am at a complete loss as to how the situation can be corrected. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.
Arnhem Jim aka Arnhemjim
Arizona Territory