British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-15, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Re the 3 Canadian Division patches, I heard that the first issue was an off colour and needed to be replaced?
The chain of command thought it was off colour, the local Reg F regiment didn't like it because it didn't match the facing colour on their mess kit. No one bothered to take a sample to The Military Museums in Calgary and compare it to either WW1 or WW2 uniforms. They would have discovered that it did in fact match. They argued that the badges at TMM would have faded over time. Yet the Div badges, especially the WW2 badges are still darker.
Old 25-07-15, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure how reference to the 3 CID badges would have worked. There is a wide range of shades of grey, from an off blue (horizon bleu) to dark "ocean" grey. It would have been at best a crap shoot to select one of them as THE tone to match. Attached are examples of the patch from my accumulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 cid emb and prnt set 1.jpg (56.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 3 cid emb set 2.jpg (56.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 25-07-15, 09:20 PM

That is my point exactly, how could it be the "wrong" colour when there were so many variations to the original patch to begin with? I'm not even thinking the variations to the WW1 patch as well. It came down to 1 person who didn't like the colour and ordered a brand new badge to be made on a whim, costing the tax payers how much?
Old 25-07-15, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Bruce, if you know of a spare of the "error" 3 Div patch I need one for my collection.
Old 25-07-15, 11:27 PM

I will keep my eye out for you, but they are extremely rare. On the badging parade the troops were given the badge and as the marched off they were promptly taken back. My unit only had a few soldiers with the badge on their tunics, that was for the cenotaph guard in Ottawa.
Old 27-07-15, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
I will keep my eye out for you, but they are extremely rare. On the badging parade the troops were given the badge and as the marched off they were promptly taken back. My unit only had a few soldiers with the badge on their tunics, that was for the cenotaph guard in Ottawa.
Exactly one soldier of my reserve unit got the "1st pattern" patch. I offered him cash money for it, and was turned down.

The only other one I have seen is on the shoulder of the Brigade RSM. I don't expect he wants my money, either.
Old 27-07-15, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Any chance of an image? Maybe a comparison with the second pattern?
Old 27-07-15, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Any chance of an image? Maybe a comparison with the second pattern?
I did take a photo with both badges visible, and was certain I had posted it on this forum. But for some reason, I can't find evidence that I did. If I can find the photo again, I'll post. The 1st pattern was a very pale, almost "bright" shade of grey, the 2nd pattern matches the "London Fog" pantone.

First pattern -

Second pattern -

More or less, and depending on how you have your monitor set up...
Old 27-07-15, 08:56 PM

2nd pattern (top) and 1st pattern (just visible on the soldier at left).
Old 27-07-15, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Mike. I can see why there may have been concern over the first issue. But, there were some 3 CID patches circa SWW, of the same light grey colour.
Old 01-09-15, 05:56 PM

New command badge, issued to me this morning:

Old 01-09-15, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
New command badge, issued to me this morning:
How did I manage that!!??!!
Old 02-09-15, 02:26 PM

On another note I see three different styles of sporrans in that picture, are the badgers a private purchase?
Old 02-09-15, 02:38 PM

31. Sporran, Badger Head. The badger head sporran has six short gold cord tassels and is worn so that the top of the cantle is just cutting the bottom of the green cross plaid first, showing below the opening of the round front (cutaway) tunic. The badger head sporran shall be worn by all officers and senior non-commissioned officers when wearing ceremonial and mess dress. The brass plate shall be polished.
32. Sporran, 3-point. A 3- point hair sporran shall be worn by all pipers when wearing ceremonial or mess dress.
33. Sporran, 6-point. A 6-point sporran is worn by all drummers and master corporals with ceremonial and mess dress. The commanding officer may authorize corporals to wear this sporran too if sufficient quantities are available.
34. Sporran, Leather Brown. A brown leather sporran with C10 metal insignia will be worn by all corporals and privates the regiment when wearing kilted order. Officers and senior non-commissioned officers will wear the brown leather sporran when wearing service dress.
Old 03-09-15, 03:19 PM

Very interesting, I also see that the senior NCO's are wearing a different tie than CF green.
I have always been fascinated with all the accruements that highland regiments have, do members have to purchase all these items, in my regiment we had to purchase our own patrol blues and riding boots.

Tags
command badge