British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-21, 12:35 AM

Default Help identifying an Old Scottish leather gorget?

Hello forum members,

I am new the forum and would like to share a most intriguing and very old artifact I came into owning and am seeking help on properly identifying it.

It is all original, and I believe it to be a coachman driver's leather gorget or a military gorget with what appears to be a sterling silver (with very old patina) family crest of the Scottish clan Stuart? surmounted by a 'marquis' crown?

The crest has two griffin's and the upper central animal is a lion with a very small scroll on both sides that say 'Nobilis Ira' (Something to the effect of 'Noble is the lion's anger/roar')

Around the circular badge is also the script of "Nemo Me Impune Lacesset'

Below the circular badge portion is, what I believe is St. Andrew with the cross.

Dimensions of mine are:

Height: 6 1/2"
Width side-to-side: 7 1/2"
Thickness: 1/4"

Not sure if this gorget was worn by someone in a Royal Scottish Highland Regiment, Black Watch etc or maybe it is a coach drivers gorget for someone in the aristocracy.

I am guessing is might be mid 1800's or possibly earlier? it is in fabulous condition. The leather was dry when I purchased it, so to save if from eminent death, I have been very slowly and carefully nurturing and feeding the leather to a point that it is stable with Antique Picard leather conditioner. I was lucky enough to save this in time from the previous owner, as the leather is responding very well to minute applications. I believe I have historically saved it in time so that it will live on for many more decades to come...it will outlast me. One has to be very careful with very old leather...slowly and just the right amount only.

Questions:

Might anyone know who this might have belonged to or it's relationship to military or maybe nobility?

Is there a method of identifying to whom this gorget was issued and what timeline or date in history it falls within?

Many thanks to anyone who is willing to share.

Kind Regards,
Derek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gorget full photo.jpg (113.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Gorget name crest.jpg (69.8 KB, 61 views)
Old 15-02-21, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
Old 15-02-21, 10:17 AM

Hi
These were worn by coachman serving nobility.
Regards
Stece
Old 15-02-21, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestingu View Post
Hi
These were worn by coachman serving nobility.
It certainly doesn't look like any military gorget I've ever seen, all of which seem to be crescent shaped, so I'd say Stece is probably right.
Old 15-02-21, 04:17 PM

The hanging device of St. Andrew within a star, thistle wreath and Nemo Me Impune Lacessit motto are all features of the Order of the Thistle.

I would suggest searching for a, likely Scottish, family crest resembling the central device. Also very likely he is a member of that order. The picture is not great but appears to be a lion rampant supported by two wyverns? Debrett’s peerages may be of help.

Once you’ve found that I suspect all will become clear and Steve is on the right track for the wearer.

As mentioned already, 99.9% sure this is not military.
Old 20-02-21, 01:37 AM

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

I greatly appreciate all the help. I will continue my research using the valuable information everyone has shared to see if I can discover any more historic details.

My apologies for the photo quality, I will attempt to upload another with higher quality.

All the best to everyone and i will share any addition information I find, so we can all learn more together.
Old 20-02-21, 02:15 AM

Luke,

I must admit, looking more closely with a 10X jewelers loop the two winged creatures beneath the rampant lion do appear to be that of wyverns (winged dragon, with diamond/arrow shaped tail, dragons head and has only TWO legs.) This can prove most valuable in my research. Until you had educated me further, I had mistaken them both for griffins. As much as I adore heraldry, I should have picked up on that detail.

Thanks!