British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Other Corps

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-21, 01:16 PM

Hi Mike, that badge has been up for quite a while from memory, he (or she) will need quite an aggressive buyer to get that for it, I'd think.

Just on these badges, Mike has brought up some anomalies with the numbers, and I am currently trying to reconcile Neil Smith's booklet with the National Archives and the Munitions Worker site. I initially thought it may be relatively simple, but alas, not. Some numbers seem to agree on all 3 sites, some do not. I suspect the info may have been mixed up over the years, but I haven't had time to do a proper sample of people to confirm anything yet. What started as a few days investigating may take some time, but I will report back any findings.

What would help, is if anyone has any of these badges which has watertight provenance, even if they are the round type (some shown below) which may help if info has leaked from one group to another.

Cheers, Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8546.jpg (70.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 19-05-21, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
What would help, is if anyone has any of these badges which has watertight provenance
Not "watertight" but a couple of AMW badges posted by members have , what I would term , "reasonable" provenance .

1. Dumdum posted a group of 3 badges including a AWM (3107) which he assumed were all for Norman Stanley WROE but when I checked the AWM it comes up to Tom WROE . A bit more checking and I discovered that Mr. T. Wroe was actually Norman Stanley Wroe's father .

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...4&postcount=29

2. Jackhr posted about a badge (1333) which he also had other relevent items :

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...8&d=1506371029

This badge number is for William Woodridge (which ties in with other items) but also appears on the list under the name of George Albert Honey. (clerical/transcription error ?)

Unfortunately neither of these two have documents that I can check but the 'circumstantial evidence' seems pretty strong.

Just checked another 5 documents on Munitions site and each has , what I personally think , are badge numbers on their "Certification" (discharge) pages , also found written correspondence where a worker quoted his AMW number.

Keep discussing !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 27-05-21, 09:14 AM

Found another useful resource , it gives details of WW1 Australian Overseas Munitions Workers who died and are commemorated by the CWGC.

One example shows a headstone bearing the workers badge number .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CWGC.jpg (17.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 29-05-21, 02:50 PM

Thanks to Tim for adding to my confusion !

I knew that other workers came to the UK under the scheme :

Quote:
Initially only skilled workers were sought , however at the request of the British Government later groups included large numbers of navvies for general labouring.
What I didn't know was that they were given a different "War Worker" badge (see photo 1) , there were 2 versions made by Stokes & Sons , Melbourne :

One had a plain back , with makers mark and stamped with a badge number.

The other had Navvies & Labourers (see photo 2) and also the makers mark + badge number.

These names/badge numbers also appear on the NAA website but a check of the on-line files which are available (434 out of 6347) and other resources indicate if the person was a War Worker/Navvie or a Munitions Worker. This explains why two people appear to have the same badge number.

The NAA also has a list of Munitions/War Workers which would indicate what group they fall into but it is not yet available on-line.

The first numbers on Neil Smith's booklet indicate the file or list number used to confirm/verify the badge number (second number on list). I am guessing that he spent a lot of time at the NAA digging through and photo-copying all the relevent documents !!!

I'm 95% sure I've got this cracked but will do a bit more research.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg War Worker 1.jpg (13.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg War Worker Navvies and Labourers.jpg (8.9 KB, 1 views)

Old 29-05-21, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Thanks to Tim for adding to my confusion !

I knew that other workers came to the UK under the scheme :

What I didn't know was that they were given a different "War Worker" badge (see photo 1) , there were 2 versions made by Stokes & Sons , Melbourne :

One had a plain back , with makers mark and stamped with a badge number.

The other had Navvies & Labourers (see photo 2) and also the makers mark + badge number.

These names/badge numbers also appear on the NAA website but a check of the on-line files which are available (434 out of 6347) and other resources indicate if the person was a War Worker/Navvie or a Munitions Worker. This explains why two people appear to have the same badge number.

The NAA also has a list of Munitions/War Workers which would indicate what group they fall into but it is not yet available on-line.

The first numbers on Neil Smith's booklet indicate the file or list number used to confirm/verify the badge number (second number on list). I am guessing that he spent a lot of time at the NAA digging through and photo-copying all the relevent documents !!!

I'm 95% sure I've got this cracked but will do a bit more research.

You are like a dog with a bone , just wont give it up Well done and keep going . BTW do you have N Smiths booklet ??
Old 30-05-21, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhr View Post
You are like a dog with a bone , just wont give it up Well done and keep going . BTW do you have N Smiths booklet ??
I like solving puzzles !
As I don't do crosswords or Sudoku I need something to keep the old grey matter functioning .

One small bit of information has led to another and Tim has given me some great help (Thanks) , so I now plan to do a 'reference' thread to tie it all together (probably next week).

I don't have the booklet but did get a good copy of the first page which helped me confirm some of my 'theories' and rule out others.

NB: I have only looked at the "Overseas" badges which cover "Australian Munitions Workers" /"War Workers"/"Navvies & Labourers" as all these badges are listed together under the heading of "Munition Workers" on the NAA website , someone else can deal with the "Home Service" badges.