British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-07-22, 03:44 PM

Default Ayrshire Yeomanry, the running order for the Other Ranks cap badges

Hello good people of the Forum.
I was encouraged by a fellow forum member, and wanted to start the above subject a long, long while ago, but unfortunately life has a habit of getting in the way!
But done now, so here it is.
I've always loved the badges of the Ayrshire Yeomanry, and it was an AY collar badge stuck to a tankard, that was presented to my dad when he was a PSI with them in the late 70's, that inspired me to collect badges in the first place, so I got myself a pair of aa AY collars and a QOY fox cap badge.
It's only recently, well two years ago,that I decided to do a full study into the subject of the running order (for want of a better expression), of the Other ranks AY cap badges, after reading the 'Proud Trooper' book by Major W Steel Brownlie.
In the book various badges are described, and it's from this source that my main study has come from.
Using the usual books, KK, Wilkinson, Gaylor etc, internet pictures, forum members knowledge, forum members AY badges in their collections, museums archives, and the Ayrshire Yeomanry Old Comrades Association, is how I've come to my conclusions, whether they're right or wrong or agreed with, we'll soon see as the posts are added to the thread, which I look forward to greatly.
I'm going to do a separate post per badge, so if members could kindly wait before posting on the thread, until I've put up the last badge, I'll clearly mark on this post 'LAST BADGE', and then any questions, comments, constructive criticism, additions etc will be most welcome.
I've also given each badge a name, like the 'large of' for example, some have come from expressions already used by members of the forum, some I've made up myself, which may catch on, who knows!
I hope people enjoy the thread.
Cheers all
Chris