British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-16, 10:47 AM
jamesmilitaria

Question 10th Baluch Regiment Pugree question

Good day folks

I'm trying to find out if the 10th Baluch Regt ORs wore a badge on their pugrees or if there was any other adornment that was unique to the regiment.

I think that on active service during WW2 they wore slouch hats with a badge on the turned up flap. Can anyone confirm or offer another solution?

Any photographs would be most helpful.

Many thanks

James
Old 05-09-16, 02:09 PM

By WWII, members of the Indian Army who were not practicing Sikhs were typically wearing either berets or, in Burma, slouch hats, both of which would have been outfitted with the appropriate regimental badge. There were also pin-backed badges for wear on puggarees/pagris, though I personally suspect that was most often done in more formal orders of dress, just because of the physics of hanging a metal weight from the relatively thin cloth used in pagris.
Old 05-09-16, 02:27 PM

The Baluch Regiment badge was a Roman 'X' over a crecent moon and scroll with 'BALUCH REGIMENT', the whole topped with a crown.l
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IA 6.jpg (88.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-09-16, 07:17 PM
jamesmilitaria

Thanks Peter, I have several different versions of the badge plus a number of private purchase items such as sweetheart brooch etc.

I know that some regiments wore unique pugrees. Coloured cones, coloured cloth attached to the pugree etc and badges. A badge pinned through several lavers of cloth is perfectly doable.

Pin backed pugree badges exist for many regiments and there is plenty of pictorial evidence especially pre 1922, but I've rarely seen a 10 Baluch one and don't own one yet.

Regards

James
Old 07-09-16, 01:20 PM

James

I agree that a pin back badge on a pagri is certainly doable, but I suspect, based on a few examples of WWII photos of Indian troops and my own suppositions, that such were reserved for orders of dress other than 'combat'.

The distinctive colours of various regimental trubans are, of course, part of the pageantry of Indian military dress, as any photos of Republic Day parades clearly show, and the practice was certainly common pre-22, as you say.

My apologies if I was preaching to the choir! I'm not sure I've seen a more modern 10th badge myself, but I no longer collect so don't pay as much attention as I used to to what's out there. Good luck with that hunt!

Peter