British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-11, 09:18 PM

Default Training Beret

Hi has anyone seen this before ? Was described as a " training beret ?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SASR 4a.jpg (96.9 KB, 136 views)
Old 05-11-11, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swende View Post
Hi has anyone seen this before ? Was described as a " training beret ?"
Training beret for who/what/why/when????....The SAS as far as I know never had a "training beret". I think on selection they wore the old CAP, COMBAT until they passed and were awarded the SAS beret

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 05-11-11, 04:37 PM

Another chancer. Hope you never spent a huge amount on this tripe.
Old 06-11-11, 03:08 AM

I did find this posted on the forum so assume it may be one of these support beret s ?

"In the early 1980's the unit became non-corps, although they still retained the infantry white lettering on red shoulder title "Special Air Service Regiment" on the battle dress blouse until it went out of service in the 1990's. By this time everyone in the unit wore the SAS badge. Those who had passed the selection course (or old cadre course) wore the sandy beret, those who had not done the course, mostly support members, wore the general service dark blue beret and were known as "blackhats" but they also wore the SAS badge."
Old 06-11-11, 08:10 AM

Default BD in 1980?

I find the dates quoted for BD a bit confusing as in 1960 I was a member of 42 Fld Regt RA LAD REME and we had BD withdrawn and Number 2 dress, on which we wore no shoulder titles cloth or brass, issued. In 1964 I shared a billet in London with a RAOC Private ( a clerk)who worked at SAS HQ , Lansdowne House I think, and wore the SAS sand beret with his RAOC badge.
Old 06-11-11, 11:13 AM

Swende is correct.

In the mid 80's I was in an Army Reserve infantry battalion and we used to provide enemy parties for the Regiment's selection courses. I can remember seeing privates on guard duty and working in the armoury who wore the blue beret with SAS badge on it.

It was worn by members of the Infantry who were attached to the Regiment as support staff. Members of other corps, i.e Ordnance, Medics etc retained their own badges.

It also signified that they had not completed the selection course.
Old 06-11-11, 05:06 PM

So on these berets, the SAS badge was the metal one or the cloth one as any other SAS who had passed the selection and was wearing the sand headgear?
Old 07-11-11, 02:16 AM

The badge on the blue beret was the metal one. The Australian SAS do not wear the cloth badge on their berets. As far as I am aware they never have
Old 07-11-11, 11:33 AM

Red face

Thanks a lot. I hadn't realized you were talking about SASR , hence my questions and surprise about the beret colour. Thanks a lot
Old 07-11-11, 01:55 PM

I got a bit more info from a collector down under ...

""Not a training beret but for persons attached to SASR, unlike the SAS and NZSAS - persons attached to SASR to not ever wear the beige beret (this is for qualified operators only) - attached personel wear their parent regiment beret but with SASR badge, so a commando attached to SASR would wear green beret with SASR badge, etc..."'
Old 07-11-11, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Swende is correct.

In the mid 80's I was in an Army Reserve infantry battalion and we used to provide enemy parties for the Regiment's selection courses. I can remember seeing privates on guard duty and working in the armoury who wore the blue beret with SAS badge on it.

It was worn by members of the Infantry who were attached to the Regiment as support staff. Members of other corps, i.e Ordnance, Medics etc retained their own badges.

It also signified that they had not completed the selection course.
By the use of the terminology "Army Reserve infantry battalion" I assume you are talking about Australian SAS?
Mike
Old 08-11-11, 11:25 AM

That would be correct
Old 07-12-11, 11:20 PM

Seeing as this is posted in the Australian Military Insignia sub-forum I take it has nothing to do with the British Army at all!

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 08-12-11, 05:18 PM

Correct .. It is Australian only. The British SAS , attached , wear their unit/ corp badge on the sand colored berets...
Old 24-12-11, 12:23 AM

Swende is correct. This is a beret worn by non-SAS qualified members serving in the Australian Special Air Service Regiment (SASR).

Australian Army members wishing to join the Regiment undertook a Selection Course and a Parachute Course (later they also had to undertake a Patrol Course) and successful candidates were then issued the "Sandy" beige beret with the SAS A/A badge on a dark blue cloth shield.

Members joining the Regiment to fill support positions, such as clerks, cooks, drivers, signallers, int and storemen, who did not undertake the course wore the General Service navy blue beret with the SAS badge.

From 1964-1975 everyone (qualified and non-qualified) wore their own corps badge and cloth titles on the battledress, except qualified infantrymen who wore the A/A SAS badge and the infantry white on red Special Air Service Regiment cloth title. From 1975 or thereabouts the Regiment became non-corps. Everyone then wore the SAS A/A badge and the white on red cloth title until battledress was phased out in the early 1990's. The A/A SAS title for the polysester uniform was introduced in about 1974. I don't recall any other berets being worn in the unit with the SAS badge on it.

The mark of qualification in the Australian SASR is the beige beret, not the badge.

Hope this clarifies issues.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone