British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-10-14, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rayner View Post
I can not believe how some members are getting their undies in a knot.
Why does the forum have to be 100% badges just because of the name of the forum?
Lets move the wording around.

THE BRITISH & COMMONWEALTH BADGE & MILITARY FORUM.
There you go Andy all fixed.
God Bless
Terry
Terry nice but I like THE BRITISH & COMMONWEALTH MILITARIA FORUM.
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 25-10-14, 04:54 PM

After a lot of thought I now support David Tremain.

There must be plenty of gun forums on the web. Take that rubbish over there please.
It is not a reason to leave the forum. I'll simply skip the messages.
Old 25-10-14, 06:12 PM

Greeting Gents,

I wish to thank everyone for their participation in this discussion, including David for raising his concerns. I honestly have no problem with members disagreeing with my views and I'm alway open to a healthy debate. I will say that I am especially pleased at how all the members, despite differing views, have conducted themselves and this just goes to show the quality of gentlemen that frequent this forum, so I applaud all for their polite and courteous input.

On a personal note I would like to say that I really enjoy this forum just the way it is. The forum's lack of rigidity and inclusive not exclusive format allows for some wonderful topics to be raised and discussed. In any area of our life I feel once a hard line is drawn in the sand this will inevitably lead to discrimination of one kind or another and the exclusion of a minority for no good reason. In extreme circumstances ultimately resulting in many of the terrible intolerance's that our societies see dominating the headlines these days.

I have four albums, three of which are insignia. The album under discussion was posted purely with good intentions to 'share' these historical and rare military treasures with fellow forum members and friends. This was motivated by discussions with a few forum members who through chatting clearly had some broad military interests much like my own. There are many albums and threads on our forum that include items that are not insignia. I will freely confess that some of these I neither look at or participate in, purely because they don't peek my interest. However I would not wish to infringe on anyones desire to express their own passion and share their 'military' interests. After all, do such broadminded topics enhance or detract from the forum?

As an international moderator on another forum I do understand some of the challenges in facilitating such a forum and the concept of not being able to please everyone. However I do also see the huge benefit to its members that having flexibility and allowing collectors to share and express their related passions brings to such a forum. Including a little 'colour' and diversity in our lives has to be a good thing, doesn't it?

Best wishes to all, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 25-10-14, 08:52 PM

Speaking as a relatively new member I do find it strange that someone can be so offend by photos of military hand gun, given that there is a direct connection to soldiers that wear the cap badges we collect. With out guns there would be no armies and no cap badges.
For me, if its something I am not interested, I move on

Personally the Album brought back the memories of my father who served in ww2 and Palestine, who kept his Webley in the attic till the 80's along with photos of him wearing it

rgds

Steve
Old 25-10-14, 09:26 PM

Ive been sitting in the sidelines watching this thread grow and grow but cannot see what the problem is. If an album were to be put on for want of a better subject, locomotive name plates or species of birds in the antartic i could understand the issue. But an album on military related items...no. Have we had such debate on sweatheart badges, commando knives or even helmets none of which are military badges?? This site is and always will be about badge collecting and badge related interests. One of the main anchor interests in this hobby is an interest in the military and as such members will very likely be interested in military related items, hence the category of `other militaria`. Roy has played by the rules and has even asked the opinion of the site owner to confirm that his album is suitable which was freely given. If this were a football match the referees decision would be final!!! By removing albums of military interest that are not specifically related to military badges in my view would detract from the appeal of the forum by removing interesting military subjects other than badges. I can appreciate concern that guns have been used for some horrific civilian and terrorist purposes and must not be promoted but an album of historic guns does not promote the use of these items by these nutters with no regard for other peoples lives!
Here endeth the sermon, if you are not interested in a thread, don`t read it.
Keep smiling, Dave

PS anyone interested in my Olde Worlde Yorkshire Dialect Sayings??
Old 26-10-14, 11:29 AM

This thread is getting far too long, I agree. As the forum title states " Badge " . Anything other than badges shouldn't be on here, whether it offends people or not. This thread should now be closed.
Andy
Old 26-10-14, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
This thread is getting far too long, I agree. As the forum title states " Badge " . Anything other than badges shouldn't be on here, whether it offends people or not. This thread should now be closed.
Andy
I agree 100%

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-10-14, 12:22 PM

As it's mikes forum lets leave it up to him how he want's to run it.

Andy