British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-08-08, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil View Post
Hi

The Royal Alderney Militia ACF used Anodised badges in gold on the beret, however on their caps they wore metal bi-metal badges. The AA badge was also used as a centrepiece on the belt buckle.

The 'Officers' of the ACF wore the same style of badge but in bullion wire.

I have never seen the AA badge in silver being worn. here is also apparently a bi metal AA in silver and gold, however, I have never seen one being worn.

regards
Norman
Hi Norman,

It looks like you have identified a new entry into the Officer Training Corp - Schools being the Royal Alderney Militia ACF who used the all gold badge.

Can we then state that the gold and silver anodised badge was intended for use by the Royal Alderney Militia?

Regards

Chris
Old 30-08-08, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

I don't think that the militia existed in the time of a/a badges but the old design badge was retained by the cadets.

Alan
Old 30-08-08, 11:39 AM

Default Alderny militia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Chris,

I don't think that the militia existed in the time of a/a badges but the old design badge was retained by the cadets.

Alan
This is a bit of an odd one then.. I have anodised examples in all SILVER, all GOLD and GOLD(the star) & SILVER(central device/detail).

If the all GOLD is for cadets/ACF then what of the others? I can appreciate the all silver perhaps being 'wrong' but the mixed is a clear produced badge. Any thoughts or further info anyone?

Regards
Bess
Old 30-08-08, 04:36 PM

Default Wessex Regt silver A/A cap badge

Hi Chris,
I think I can remember SNCO's of the Wessex Regiment wearing an all silver anodised aluminium cap badge. I don't know if anyone if the forum can confirm this for you.
Certainly an all silver metal badge was made for Officers of the Wessex Regt. Possibly these silver a/a badges weren't mistakes at all but genuine issued anodised aluminium badges for senior ranks?
Colin
Old 30-08-08, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

The SNCOs were not wearing silver a/a badges when I was with the Wessex Regt in 1990 but gold ones the same as the ORs. The Offrs wore gold embroidered beret badges.

Alan
Old 31-08-08, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
This is a bit of an odd one then.. I have anodised examples in all SILVER, all GOLD and GOLD(the star) & SILVER(central device/detail).

If the all GOLD is for cadets/ACF then what of the others? I can appreciate the all silver perhaps being 'wrong' but the mixed is a clear produced badge. Any thoughts or further info anyone?

Regards
Bess
Hi Bess,

I did some rooting around on this little puppy and the best info I found was here:

http://www.jerseymilitia.co.uk/alderneyhistory.html

Basically it states that the latest the Militia paraded was 1935 but, in 1984 the Royal Aldernet Militia ACF was raised.

As such, although it appears that anodised aluminium badges were created in silver and gold to 'replace' the older material badges I do not think we can say these anodised badges were issued and I will be accounting for these as such. Note that I have come across a few like this so it is not unique for badges such as the silver and gold Alderney Militia badges to manufactured and that was that.

However, from previous posts we know that the ACF badge was all gold and I will be making an entry on the relevant web page to display it.

Guys, I need a copy of the silver and gold version to put on the Territorial page (although it appears not issued) so if anyone has an image from a dedicated scanner or photo with a white packground please contact me.

Regards

Chris
Old 31-08-08, 08:21 AM

Default Alderney Militia / ACF

Hi Chris,
I think you already have one it is T25B on your picasa web pages.
Regards.
Colin
Old 31-08-08, 08:27 AM

Thanks Colin,

I had it on the page but not in my correct PC folder - have sorted things out now.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-09-08, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Thanks Toby,

Oh No. Another Classification - mistakes that were actually worn.

Will this never end....

OK Toby, I will keep this bit of infor as a footnote in the revelant chapter.

Regards

Chris

Interestingly the same distorted backings but with a different silver circlet were used for at least 2 series of the TV production "Soldier Soldier", where they were used as the badge of the ficticious 'King's Fusiliers' and worn with a Blue and White Hackle. I have also seen the King's Fusiliers badge with an 'RRF' backing but am not sure if that was just used for publicity shots or an actual series.
Old 01-09-08, 10:26 AM

Default The Regiment that never was!

Chris,

Are you aware that badges, stable belts and even colours were prepared for a new regiment to be formed by amalgamation of the Gloucestershire Regt and Hampshire Regt in the mid 70s (from memory). The new Regt was to be titled the Royal Regt of Gloucestershire and Hampshire (nicknamed by some 'wag' as the Hampsters!). The badge comprised the gilded star of the Hampshire officers with a Glosters Sphinx superimposed. I cannot remember the maker. Firmin or Gaunt I think. The amalgamation was cancelled by the new government formed by Edward Heath.
Old 01-09-08, 11:42 AM

Default Alderney Militia

Hi all

The link shown in another post, was a link to my website. Images of the 'official' issued Alderney ACF badges can be found at

www.jerseymilitia.co.uk/cadetpics3.html

By official I mean that these badges were obtained directly from the ACF Commanding Officer on a visit to their HQ in Alderney.

As previously stated, the 'gold' anodised badge was ONLY worn on the beret, the Bi metal 'silver/gilt' badge was worn on the peaked cap by all ranks, the embroidered badge was worn by Officers on the beret only. Collar badges were either in silver anodised or white metal to match the headgear badges and the embroidered shoulder flash was only worn on Service Dress tunics.

Colonel Walter previously the CO of the ACF is not aware of any official issue of the silver anodised beret badge of the 'silver/gold' anodised ever being issued.

Apparently the unit no longer wears the Alderney badges as they are affiliated with a Mainland Regiment and now wear the insignia of that unit.

Norman
Old 01-09-08, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Interestingly the same distorted backings but with a different silver circlet were used for at least 2 series of the TV production "Soldier Soldier", where they were used as the badge of the ficticious 'King's Fusiliers' and worn with a Blue and White Hackle. I have also seen the King's Fusiliers badge with an 'RRF' backing but am not sure if that was just used for publicity shots or an actual series.
The RRF badge was used after the amalgamation,when they became the Kings Own Fusiliers
Old 01-09-08, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The RRF badge was used after the amalgamation,when they became the Kings Own Fusiliers
Learn something new every day : - )
Old 02-09-08, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Chris,

Are you aware that badges, stable belts and even colours were prepared for a new regiment to be formed by amalgamation of the Gloucestershire Regt and Hampshire Regt in the mid 70s (from memory). The new Regt was to be titled the Royal Regt of Gloucestershire and Hampshire (nicknamed by some 'wag' as the Hampsters!). The badge comprised the gilded star of the Hampshire officers with a Glosters Sphinx superimposed. I cannot remember the maker. Firmin or Gaunt I think. The amalgamation was cancelled by the new government formed by Edward Heath.
I had thoughts with regard to this "regiment" for some time.It concerns the back badge:-
If formed would they have worn the back badge ?
If so,what colour was it ?
What were the collar badges ?

With regard to the back badge,the RGBW and then the Rifles have continued to wear it.It was very jealously by the Gloucesters so i doubt they would have given it up without a serious fight.
Im wondering if the back badges found are gold anodised are RRGH rather than a error in production.
Can anybody throw any light on the subject?
Old 02-09-08, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I had thoughts with regard to this "regiment" for some time.It concerns the back badge:-
If formed would they have worn the back badge ?
If so,what colour was it ?
What were the collar badges ?

With regard to the back badge,the RGBW and then the Rifles have continued to wear it.It was very jealously by the Gloucesters so i doubt they would have given it up without a serious fight.
Im wondering if the back badges found are gold anodised are RRGH rather than a error in production.
Can anybody throw any light on the subject?
Mike,
You have hit upon a theory which I have long fostered too. I too reckon the gold anodised back badge is for this intended regiment. As you quite rightly say, it is very ulikely that the back badge would have been dropped and the change in colour displays a degree of differance from the original whilst retaining its integrity. This must be officially recorded/documented somewhere. 54BTY may well be your man here, as he certainly appears to have ready access to records and part numbers etc.