British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-17, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Quite frankly, I think, after reading the thread about this particular badge, the discolouration is due to the rubbish that it has been made from.
Thanks Frank.
I believe you're right. This badge was likely stained to make it aged.
Old 04-08-17, 07:47 AM

Well, I don't get to many fairs these days and only seldom look on line, but, I have not seen one of these being offered as an original badge, it is very sad to think that some might have ended up in peoples collections, who bought them in good faith, believing them to be completely original.

Does anyone know how old these badges actually are, did they originate from Holland?
Old 04-08-17, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Well, I don't get to many fairs these days and only seldom look on line, but, I have not seen one of these being offered as an original badge, it is very sad to think that some might have ended up in peoples collections, who bought them in good faith, believing them to be completely original.

Does anyone know how old these badges actually are, did they originate from Holland?
I don't know where they originated from, but I first saw them about two or three years ago.

Jack
Old 04-08-17, 08:08 AM

Hello Jack,
Okay, many thanks, that would certainly explain why I had never seen one, well, with this thread and the other recent one, lets hope no one, on here, at least, gets taken in by them.

At the price quoted in the other thread of some eighty five euro, I am amazed that anyone would buy such an odd looking badge for that kind of money, without first taking a closer look, after all, an original can be found for much less.

Regards Frank
Old 04-08-17, 11:45 PM

Agreed. It looks like re-enactor shops sell a similar pattern for a much lower price.
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/ww2-par...-product,13910

I particularly like the comment 'with a few years wear this badge would look like an original'

Cheers,
Pierre
Old 05-08-17, 06:18 AM

I particularly like the comment 'with a few years wear this badge would look like an original'

Cheers,
Pierre[/QUOTE]

Hi Pierre - yes ... that says everything bad about re-enactor items - they should be stamped 'copy' in my opinion.
Mike
Old 05-08-17, 07:03 PM

I disagree, it cannot look anything remotely like an original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post

Cheers,
Pierre
Hi Pierre - yes ... that says everything bad about re-enactor items - they should be stamped 'copy' in my opinion.
Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 05-08-17, 09:19 PM

Frank
The comment was directed at the 'intention' of the manufacturer of the tat - damn cheek to be boasting such a thing could pass as original - but an exercise in intended deceipt. Beginners can be fooled with a lot of these abominations - hence the mantra of Research, Research and more Research, and value of the forum.
Mike
Old 29-12-22, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Frank
The comment was directed at the 'intention' of the manufacturer of the tat - damn cheek to be boasting such a thing could pass as original - but an exercise in intended deceipt. Beginners can be fooled with a lot of these abominations - hence the mantra of Research, Research and more Research, and value of the forum.
Mike
I nearly got fooled by one of those copies. Luckily someone outbid me.
That some luck. I need to study more the para badge.
Old 29-12-22, 05:43 PM

Default "the edges of the inner curved wings are smooth instead of raised"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack8 View Post
They have very poor definition in the crown and lion, the edges of the inner curved wings are smooth instead of raised. Also the lugs have been attached with a grey coloured solder instead of the more usual yellow brass brazing.
I chewed a little on that "bold" text but I'm a little confused so I would appreciate opinions on one of my favourite voided badges which has that mentioned grey coloured solder and poor definition in the crown and lion.

PARA-BADGE-15-VOIDED-1.jpg PARA-BADGE-15-VOIDED-2.jpg

External links to the same images but with higher resolution:

Marinus
Old 29-12-22, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinus View Post
I chewed a little on that "bold" text but I'm a little confused so I would appreciate opinions on one of my favourite voided badges which has that mentioned grey coloured solder and poor definition in the crown and lion.

Attachment 277781 Attachment 277782

External links to the same images but with higher resolution:

Marinus
I’m confused?

Jack8 was taking about a closed crown example. Yours clearly is a genuine voided crown example from a very different die.

You seem to be comparing features of apples and oranges…

I think you’ll find your badge has been plated, it will not in fact have ‘grey coloured solder’.
Old 29-12-22, 06:51 PM

Default apples and oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
You seem to be comparing features of apples and oranges…
You're absolutely right, Luke.

My apologies for the confusion, I should have read the thread more carefully.

Regards from The Netherlands,

Marinus