British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-14, 07:38 AM

Default ATKV SASenH badge info

Hi,
Can anyone shed some light on the use of this badge. It is white metal and around 50mm in diameter with E-W copper looped lugs.

Above is the abbreviated title ATKV which stands for Afrikaans Taal en Kultuur Vereniging (Afrikaans Language and Cultural Association).

Below is the abbreviated title SAS en H which stands for Suid Afrikaanse Spoorweg en Hawens (South African Railways and Harbours)

I have never seen the badge worn or had a positive ID of it. It appears in Owens book and he says it is a railways badge which I dispute.

The only other reference I have is a 1938 centennial brochure of the 1838 Great Trek showing the same badge on the cover, so my assumption is that it is related to the proceedings of the Great Trek in 1938.

Positive ID as to who wore it and whether it was a cap badge or pouch badge or cross belt badge would be appreciated.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATKV-SASenH.jpg (44.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 21-02-14, 08:23 AM

Steven,

As the ATKV was founded in 1930, this was probably their original badge. They later adopted a coat of arms instead, and now use a logo.

You may find answers in back numbers of their magazine, 'Die Taalgenoot', or in their published history - 'Monumentaal die Bouwerke' by A.P.J. van Rensburg - or from an e-mail to them via their website, http://www.atkv.org.za .

Arthur
Old 21-02-14, 10:39 AM

Thanks Arthur,
I will follow up on those magazines. The SA ref library in Cape Town should have them to peruse.

If anyone else has any knowledge to offer, please dont hesitate

Steven
Old 25-02-14, 07:25 AM

Steven

The ATKV were closely associated with the Railways "back in the day", I do believe they were associated with most government sectors, affordable holiday venues for government workers being one of their main services. Whilst holidaying the Afrikarners could play their own traditional sports amongst themselves.

This badge would have been for the Railway workers who were members of the ATKV.

Brian
Old 25-02-14, 11:39 AM

Hi Brian,
Hope you are keeping well and thanks for the input.

I am aware that the ATKV was closely associated with SAS&H. As far as I am aware it was created to encourage all railway workers to learn the afrikaans language and traditions. There was also a strong link to the Voortrekker movement and 'Die Suid Afrikaanse Noodhulp Liga' SANL (The Firstaid League).

The badge is a direct copy of the ATKV logo of the 1930's and 40's (including the SAS&H wording), so to my mind it is not exactly a railways badge. Do you perhaps have any photographic evidence of this badge been worn by railway workers?

I have some pictures of the SANL wearing their first uniform c.1938 at the foundation laying of the Voortrekker Monument. They have a large 50-60mm round cap badge that is bigger than the first pattern SANL cap badge. Unfortunately the pictures are not clear enough to make out the design of the badge, but based on size and shape could well be this badge.

Hopefully something will come to light to put anouther mystery to bed

Steven
Old 27-02-14, 08:50 AM

Hi Steven

As you can see by this article there was a close bond between the SAR&H and the ATKV. However I cannot believe that all the ATKV members would have worn this badge. I am attaching a medal and as can be seen there is also a referance to the SAR&H on it......! So who can say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATKV

I will have a chat with an Afrikaan s lady here at work, they are very much into Afrikaans culture and attend festivals etc.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATKV 1.jpg (17.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ATKV 2.jpg (16.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 27-02-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 27-02-14, 09:52 AM

If it's any help -- I've been trying to make sense of all these different Afrikaans cultural organisations and their insignia, and this is what I've come up with :

ATKV : established 1930 by SA Railways & Harbours employees. In 1939, they registered a badge depicting an ox-wagon below a winged wheel, within a circle bearing the organisation's name. In 1952, they registered a new badge depicting the ox-wagon and winged wheel on an heraldic shield, again within a circle bearing the name. This is the badge shown in Brian's post #6.

If we add in the badge which Steven is asking about, then it looks athough that may have been their first badge, used c1930-39, followed by the badge with the ox-wagon and winged wheel, followed in turn by the coat of arms.

Voortrekkers : youth organisation, formed in 1931 as an alternative to the 'English' Boy Scouts and Girl Guides. Its badge, apparently adopted at the inception but not registered until 1942, depicts a flaming torch superimposed on a wagon-wheel.

SA Noodhulpliga : first aid association, formed in 1935 as an alternative to the 'English' Red Cross and St John Ambulance. It's first badge, registered in 1944, depicted three flaming torches arranged in an inverted Y wihin a circle bearing the name. This was superseded by a coat of arms depicting a single torch with a serpent wrapped around it, between two stretchers, which was registered in 1965.

ATKB (Afrikaans Taal- en Kultuurbond) : established 1953 by Post Office employees. Disbanded 1991, many members then joining the ATKV instead. Its badge, registered in 1955, was a green shield depicting a lightning flash, a winged envelope, and an ox-wagon.

AKPOL (Afrikaanse Kultuurbond van die SA Polisie) : formed 1955 by SA Police members. Its emblem IIRC depicts an ox-wagon trekking across the 'ver verlate vlaktes'.

Arthur

Last edited by Arthur R; 27-02-14 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 27-02-14, 10:02 AM

Arthur

Thanks for the input, it makes complete sense as I have just got back from having a chat with the lady I referred to. She told me that it was very "railway oriantated" organisation a long time ago but not so anymore.

Of course the date 16th December 1963 (on the medalion) celebrates the Day of the Vow, or the Battle of Blood River, a very important day in Afrikaner heritage. This medalion appears to have been minted to celebrate 125 years since the battle which took place, in 1838.

Brian
Old 27-02-14, 12:17 PM

Thanks Arthur and Brian,
I forgot to look at the archives on registration of badges. Would probably have found what you have now shown.

The quality of the badge I show is very similar to the round SAR/SAS badge of the time as worn by the lower ranks of the railways in the 1930's (i.e. White Metal, round 50-60mm in diameter, solid back, copper lugs, etc) to which a large number of the Afrikaans speaking railway workers belonged (and partly the reason to start the ATKV - to entrench an Afrikaner identity amoung the largely English speaking railway staff). The badge was probably ordered by the ATKV through there contacts in the railways and probably manufactured by the same company that made the SAR/SAS badges.

I attach examples of the early SANL badges in my collection as worn prior to 1955. I believe this is the badge adopted post WWII, the one registered in 1944. After 1955 a chrome badge was issued and this was again changed in 1965 to the new registered design. I have researched the SANL for some time and have a small collection of there insignia. As stated in an earlier post, there first apperance in uniform was at the laying of the foundation of the Voortrekker Monument in 1938 and from pictures they have are wearing a large badge on the front of the peak cap. The founder of the SANL Tienie van Schoor was a founding member of the ATKV and a railway employee, so the SANL may well be wearing the ATKV/SASenH badge before registering there own design of badge. If this can be proven, then I will be very happy as I can add this badge to my SANL collection.

Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanl cap1.jpg (73.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sanl col1.jpg (58.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sanl butt1.jpg (39.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SANL nurse.jpg (105.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 27-02-14, 02:19 PM

Guys

With regards the St John Ambulance, the SAR&H had always been associated them for their first aid and were given offices at large important stations and workshops (well at least here in Durban), they also carried out all the first aid courses and training.

However in the early 1980's the SA Noodhulpliga appeared to be be given preferential treatment on railway property. I remember installing their phones in new offices provided by the SAR at Durban Station. They basically took over all St John duties in one swoop, it was sad to see this happen and the St John staff were very disgruntled by this treatment.

Regards
Brian
Old 27-02-14, 02:51 PM

Yes Brian,
This pretty much happened in the Transvaal from the mid 1950's. SANL taking over from the SJAB as more Afrkaans speaking people entered the railways.

Bear in mind the reson for the start of the SANL in 1935 was as a direct result of SJAB refusing to train Afrikaans speaking people in there home language. So there was always a bit of friction between SANL and SJAB though on paper they did work side by side.

Steven