British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-14, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
I doubt that, the tabs would have been part of the scroll, not of your part of the badge. Also the "Ich" scroll has been cut, taking the lower part of the left feather off as well. Why would Lambourne go through the trouble of brazing on a scroll only to cut it off later? Wouldn't it have been easier to brase the scroll off again in the factory? Makes no sense to me.

Rgds, Thomas.
I agree with Thomas 100%, And i would doubt very much if lambourne's would scrap the scroll's that could be reused to meet a contract, i'm sure there are others on the forum who have worked for company's who would go to the ends of the earth to salvage seemingly worthless items that have been made so that the time effort and materials used aren't just put in the bin.

Just my view Andy
Old 30-03-14, 05:04 PM

I've just been told about this show stopper of a thread. I know absolutely nothing about cavalry or yeomanry badges so yes, all rather tedious to me.
BUT a) that does not infer any disrespect to cav & yeo collectors and b) I do have notes from the official sources.

I do not know what badge the Denbigh Yeo had in 1908 (or before) but I can tell you that a WO order of 17th April 1916 demanded 3,000 Pattern 8675/1916 cap badges - with 'vertical shank' and in "bronzed GM" - for "Denbighshire Yeo & Wiltshire Royal Yeo" which indicates of course that these two units were wearing the same badge. Whether this was a wartime position or not I do not know.

Secondly it was common WO / RACD parlance for the word "bronzed" to refer to the finish; which included black (as in rifle units) and brown (as in eg Household Cav and some Yeo units).

As for badges ordered and manufactured between 1939 and 1946 there is a very comprehensive list of all cap badge orders by the Ministry of Supply - which if this unit was around then, should provide full details.

enjoy
Old 30-03-14, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

KLR

Very helpful. Can you confirm that the 1916 date is due to that being the date of the start of the supply of Yeomanry badges by the WD rather than anything related to economy badges. The 1916 date is coincidence as the finish is bronzed.

Alan
Old 30-03-14, 05:24 PM
LYPAO Boff

Julian

That certainly ties in the Bronzed DHY badge up to 1917 and then 24th (DHY) Btn RWF wearing the brass RWF badge. At the end of the War the DHY are still listed in 1920 as Bronze badges (along with the Wilts Yeo) but its not clear, yet, if they carried on with the RWF badge until Arty conversion or took up their old bronzed POWFs badge again straight after the war.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 30-03-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 30-03-14, 08:11 PM

Actually the joint badge of the Den Yeo and R Wilts Yeo was already mentioned in the 1915 PPVCN which specifically details which TF badges were now being supplied by the WO (despite only being published with the AO of 1-8-1916). SO I assume this IS pre the all GM matter.
Otherwise, I'm afraid I have no further details to offer !

Last edited by KLR; 30-03-14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 30-03-14, 08:16 PM

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 07-05-14 at 04:18 AM.
Old 30-03-14, 08:22 PM
LYPAO Boff

Jelly ..... the chap on the left.... any chance of a hi-res of just the badge (the shape looks Lambourne)? Both are Civil service Rifles ...yes?

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 30-03-14, 08:26 PM

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 07-05-14 at 04:17 AM.
Old 30-03-14, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
It was suggested that the base scrolls could have been brazed off, yes that's true, but that would required more effort than just snapping off and trimming?
To me it seems that applying a bit of heat untill the scroll drops off would be far easier, faster and ultimately cheaper in labour than cutting or snapping and then tidying the cut, as it appears to have been done here.
If I were a manufacturer I'd certainly opt for the former!

Rgds, Thomas.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 31-03-14 at 12:06 AM.
Old 31-03-14, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Actually the joint badge of the Den Yeo and R Wilts Yeo was already mentioned in the 1915 PPVCN which specifically details which TF badges were now being supplied by the WO (despite only being published with the AO of 1-8-1916). SO I assume this IS pre the all GM matter.
Otherwise, I'm afraid I have no further details to offer !
Julian

Thanks. The 1915 date makes sense.

I did not appreciate that the Wilts wore the same badge so it is useful to have some evidence for that. One more amendment to K&K.

Alan
Old 31-03-14, 12:26 PM
LYPAO Boff

Studying the photo in a bit more detail, the shoulder chords appear to be twisted braid? To me it appears to be a bi-coloured twisted braid like the Gloucs Hussars have? ........ or is it a platted leather? I have gone back to look at their Mess kit and old uniform and I cant see anything that resembles the chords ...so it must be leather?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DenbighYeomanrySergeantBWaBox.jpg (56.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Shoulderchords.jpg (112.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Shoulderchords2.jpg (105.6 KB, 5 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 31-03-14, 01:31 PM

Griff- I think the 1902 SD jacket started with cord shoulder straps, then detachable cloth straps, then attached straps/epauletts. No shoulder rifle patches on jacket pictured which is unusual, and 1905 cap. No idea re bi coloured cord. Cheers, Paul.
Old 31-03-14, 01:41 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Griff- I think the 1902 SD jacket started with cord shoulder straps, then detachable cloth straps, then attached straps/epauletts. No shoulder rifle patches on jacket pictured which is unusual, and 1905 cap. No idea re bi coloured cord. Cheers, Paul.
Paul

The pictured uniform is 1903-12, the arm badge was lost on the new regulations in 1912/13 so that and his medal ribbons date the photo period "bracket".

The Gloucs Hussars used a two coloured braided chord on their kit (see the Torin below) and you can see that its not un-similar to whats possibly seen above. I am not saying it was the same colour chord but guessing red/gold possibly. Anyway its probably just a trick of the light on the twisted brown leather chords?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50484d.jpg (113.7 KB, 6 views)

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 31-03-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 31-03-14, 02:37 PM

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 07-05-14 at 04:17 AM.
Old 31-03-14, 02:42 PM
LYPAO Boff

Thanks Jelly

On closer inspection its not the Lambourne

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Tags
denbighshire, yeomanry