British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-10, 03:34 PM

Default Canadian navy cloth titles

Hi there can some one help me out please ? am looking for details of the ` Canada` cloth shoulder title as worn by the Canadian Navy / beach commandos , i have seen wire bullion ones i presume are for officers but what colours were worn by other ranks ,if at all .
If any one has original examples to show i would be very greatful , regards ,Nemo
Old 03-02-10, 05:54 PM

I don't know if there were specific titles for Beach Commando Nemo.

I do know the RCN, RCNR, & RCNVR wore the standard CANADA shoulder titles in 2WW & I have shown some wartime examples below. They were embroidered in red, and yellow thread, & in gold wire.

A while ago I posted a photo of an 2WW RCNVR Officer in the Photos section when the subject of Beach Commandos was being discussd. He is wearing CANADA tiles with COMMANDO below. The photo is below:::

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCN Commando ph.jpg (27.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Canada titles war.jpg (56.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-02-10, 03:27 PM

Hi thanks for the help so far , just another question the Canadian navy titles worn by officers ` wire bullion on black cloth ` was the wire thread gold or silver please ? many thanks ,Nemo.
Old 09-02-10, 07:30 PM

Hi,
A couple of variations of the "Canada" title.

On the 20th October 1943 it was suggested that the "RN Commando" title would be worn with the "Canada" title underneath it when the RCN Commando joined HMS Armadilo.

By the 2nd December 1943 it was decided that the "Canada" title would be worn with the "Commando" title.

Regards

Danny

co5.jpg
Old 13-02-10, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
Hi thanks for the help so far , just another question the Canadian navy titles worn by officers ` wire bullion on black cloth ` was the wire thread gold or silver please ? many thanks ,Nemo.

Gold wire.

Bryan
Old 18-02-10, 10:32 AM

CHEERS GENTS , many thanks .
Old 19-02-10, 02:32 AM

I am not in Canada now Nemo, but when I get home mid March I will post some shots of the gold CANADA badges.

Bryan
Old 07-03-11, 04:55 AM

the different colour lettering was for the different numbers of dress. the gold wire was of course No. 1s and the red was on the No. 2s and dungarees. The trade badges shown above were for junior ranks up to PO1 and were worn on the square rig. chiefs wore fore and aft rig and wore collar trade badges. Side note... the rating of CPO1 only came about after unification.
Old 07-03-11, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt(NL) Lawton View Post
Side note... the rating of CPO1 only came about after unification.
This statement is incorrect - the rank of CPO1 was created in the RCN effective 1 Feb 1949 - see my writeup on "Ranks of the RCN" for details of the changes in the post war RCN rank structure:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=8934

Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 07-03-11 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
This statement is incorrect - the rank of CPO1 was created in the RCN effective 1 Feb 1949 - see my writeup on "Ranks of the RCN" for details of the changes in the post war RCN rank structure:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=8934

Bryan
Thank you for the correction. I didn't realize this had been done post 1949.
Old 07-03-11, 11:00 PM

Default Some more comments on pre Integration RCN insignia

After the Tri Service integration period in 1968 some of the RCN rank insignia changed to conform to the Tri Service identity -- thus RCN Petty Officers 2nd class became Sergeants, Petty Officers 1st class became Warrant Officers, CPO2's became MWO, & CPO1's became CWO's.

Prior to the changeover to the CAF green uniforms the PO1, CPO2, & CPO1 insignia changed from the former RCN insignia to that worn by the Army/RCAF insignia :

Thus - PO1 now wore the crown, C2's wore the MWO insignia & C1's wore the CWO insignia, all wre worn on the lower sleeves of the tunic. This changeover took place in 1969 as I recall.

Another item that is not well known as it was only in existance for a short period of time, just prior to the integrated green uniforms coming in -- the Petty Officer 2nd class ratings changed from their former sailor blues, to the Fore & Aft rig worn by PO1's & CPO's, & continued to wear their rank(crossed anchors) & GCB's as formerly worn by PO1's. Their rank insignia did not change, they just changed uniforms. This took place in '69 as well.

I am not in Canada at present so unable to upload photos of these post integration insignia, but will do so when I get home.

Bryan
Old 14-03-11, 04:04 PM

Default RCN CANADA Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post

Hi Nemo

I have illustrated below three variants of the RCN CANADA shoulder titles, they are gold wire on a black backing cloth. Worn by both officers & ratings.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada gw titles.jpg (52.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 14-03-11, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
After the Tri Service integration period in 1968 some of the RCN rank insignia changed to conform to the Tri Service identity -- thus RCN Petty Officers 2nd class became Sergeants, Petty Officers 1st class became Warrant Officers, CPO2's became MWO, & CPO1's became CWO's.

Prior to the changeover to the CAF green uniforms the PO1, CPO2, & CPO1 insignia changed from the former RCN insignia to that worn by the Army/RCAF insignia :

Thus - PO1 now wore the crown, C2's wore the MWO insignia & C1's wore the CWO insignia, all wre worn on the lower sleeves of the tunic. This changeover took place in 1969 as I recall.

Another item that is not well known as it was only in existance for a short period of time, just prior to the integrated green uniforms coming in -- the Petty Officer 2nd class ratings changed from their former sailor blues, to the Fore & Aft rig worn by PO1's & CPO's, & continued to wear their rank(crossed anchors) & GCB's as formerly worn by PO1's. Their rank insignia did not change, they just changed uniforms. This took place in '69 as well.

I am not in Canada at present so unable to upload photos of these post integration insignia, but will do so when I get home.

Bryan

Illustrated below are the WO, MWO and CWO insignia which relaced the former RCN insignia described in the above article:

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wo MWo CWO 1969 insig.jpg (63.1 KB, 3 views)