British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-03-09, 07:16 PM

Default Do you recognize him ??? Probably.

A photograph of "High-Priced Help" just before the first big show. For the non-british colleagues....do you recognize the officer in the centre ???
The second photo shows him at an earlier period......and earlier conflict.
Jo
http://images.google.com/hosted/life...fbbc9fdd7927e0

http://images.google.com/hosted/life...3590252b8fc49a

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 15-03-09, 07:34 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Of Gallipoli fame?
Old 15-03-09, 07:47 PM

Yes Ray, among other more or less famous operations.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 15-03-09, 08:18 PM

Default ID baadges?

Jo,

What are the badges he is wearing in each photo? Have you any idea what the ribbons are for in the 2nd?

Don
Old 15-03-09, 09:19 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Queens own Oxfordshire Hussars. Still kind of exist as a signal squadron who have the titles but not the heritage and rank pips etc in a purple colour.
Old 15-03-09, 09:38 PM
Administrator

ribbons will be the india medal 1895, queen's sudan medal and khedive's sudan medal.

Churchill was in the charge of the 21st lancers at Omdurman. many were killed.
Old 15-03-09, 10:10 PM

Thanks matti and Mike...I knew some of of our distinguished colleagues would be able to answer this question.
Jo

Old 17-03-09, 12:21 AM

Default forum

This is why this is the best forum in the internet!! Only the best are here!! Thanks for the info and images.
Old 17-03-09, 01:34 AM

Default Several Questions

In William Manchester's 2nd volume of his Churchill biography there is a picture of Churchill wearing a full dress uniform. If anyone can find this picture is this the uniform of the QOOH? I can recall reading, I think in this book, a story of Churchill searching for an obscure piece of the full dress uniform for this unit. In doing a little research on the QOOH I learned that they were given the honor of marching in front of his casket instead of in order of precedence behind. An interesting insight into this extraordinary man.

I can find a listing of Churchill's medals. Does anyone know where they are now? I hope they are being displayed somewhere.

What is the badge he is wearing in the 2nd picture?

About one year ago I had the opportunity to visit a book store in New York City which deals in Churchillania. The gentleman working there was kind enough to allow me to see his autograph in one of his books. $25,000 USD. I think I will stick to collecting cap badges.

Don
Old 03-01-11, 11:03 AM

Hello all,
does anyone have any idea on the second badge?
Tony.
Old 03-01-11, 12:46 PM

No expert on SA Badges, but South African Light Horse? Certainly not 4th Hussars! He was commissioned in 1899

If so, this was 1899 I guess, which makes him 25 or so.
Old 03-01-11, 12:54 PM

I was wrong with the date. 1900. A signed picture was sold at Christies for £5000 in June last Year. South African Light Horse it was......

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5319497
Old 03-01-11, 03:04 PM

A few interesting photos attached.

1 ) on passsing out from Sandhurst and being commissioned into the 4th Hussars
2) On manoeuvers Aldershot 1910 with Clemantine
3)September 1909 at German Army manoeuvers with the Kaiser

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Churchill 2.jpg (54.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Churchill 1.jpg (50.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Churchill 3.jpg (60.8 KB, 40 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-01-11, 03:24 PM

This is becoming rather bizzare, according to the book "Family Album" by Churchills daughter Mary Soames, the picture of Winston in the slouch hat is shown as plate 19 and the text below it says-

".....Winston arranged to go to South Africa as the correspondent for the Morning Post.Once arrived in Cape Town,he obtained a commission in a Yeomanry Regiment- The Lancashire Hussars ( above ).

I have never heard of the connection with the Lancashire Hussars before and I wonder if this is a mistake in the book or can anyone confirm this ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LH.jpg (26.9 KB, 16 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-01-11, 10:54 PM

Mary Soames also makes this assertion in "Clementine Churchill: The biography of a Marriage". In this book, the mention is in the context of him having the commission in the Lancs prior to be being captured by the Boers. She was correct, but I believe the photo is in the wrong context.

My understanding is that he would have been entitled wear the following uniforms up to the beginning of the First War:

4th Hussars.
31st Punjab Infantry - North West Frontier
21st Lancers - Sudan
Lancashire Hussars - prior to captivity
South African Light Horse - after escape from captivity.
Queen’s Own Oxfordshire Hussars - pre 1914 (Major) after return

After this, there are countless others.... he was, among others attached to the Grenadier Guards, Royal Scots Fusiliers. RAF etc etc.....

What exactly constitutes an entitlement to a Uniform is not totally clear to me, but he was attached and served with the above.

I have all his books, so will check further when I have time. In particular "London to Ladysmith"
Cheers, Neil