British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-10, 06:34 AM

Default 18th Armoured Car badges

There were a number of new badge patterns created during WW2; some for war raised units, others as design changes for existing units. Here’s one I learned of recently which was authorized by General Orders, but did not occur.

The subject unit was the 12th Manitoba Dragoons. Note that their official designation, as of 26 Jan. 1942, was the “18th (Manitoba) Armoured Car Regiment”. Just weeks before they embarked for overseas plans were afoot to re-badge the unit, changing the charging buffalo badge to this:

G.O. 313 BADGES – 18TH (MANITOBA) ARMOURED CAR REGIMENT (C.A.)
1. Badges etc.
2. Officers: - Cap Badge
The numeral 18 and the skull to be in white metal; remainder of the badge in brass. A winged automobile wheel surmounted by the numeral “18”, and a scroll above inscribed “MANITOBA ARM’D CARS”. On the tire, at the bottom a skull, and below, a scroll inscribed “PALMAN SERENTES REDITE”. The whole ensigned with the Imperial Crown. E.W. 1 7/8 ext. h. 2 ¼ in.
Collar Badge
The skull in white metal, remainder of the badge in brass. A skull supported by the numeral “18” and below, a scroll inscribed “MANITOBA ARM’D CARS”. Ext. w. 1 ¼ in. ext. h. 1 inch.
Buttons
In brass – In the centre a skull. Above, the numeral “18” and below “ARM’D CARS”.
3. Other ranks : Badges and buttons as for officers.
(Effct. 16 JULY 1942)

A good researcher could probably turn up much more information. Regrettably, all I have at this writing, is the text of the G.O. It would be fascinating to learn who promoted this initiative, and why. It would be equally fascinating to learn why it wasn’t done.

Personally, I’m not disappointed. The badge description sounds like a derivative of the “2nd ARMOURED CAR REGIMENT”, a far less appealing design than that of the “MANITOBA DRAGOONS”. Also, I associate skulls with pirates, bikers, & Nazis – I think it’s a wrong image for Canadian soldiers (stated with all due respect to the 17/21 Lancers)
Old 11-04-10, 08:13 AM

Cool 18th Armoured Car badges

This sounds like a restrikers dream come true, watch out for them as they will surely appear in the future along with a story to back them up.
Old 11-04-10, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Aborted...

Recently, during my research on cloth I came across a file on the 18th Armoured Car Regiment. Again, the mists of time have obscured the history of the unit. Originally, the 18th Manitoba Armoured Car Regiment was a composite unit. When mobilized, contingents were drawn from the Manitoba Mounted Rifles, the 2nd Armoured Car Regiment and the 12th Manitoba Dragoons. As a composite unit, there was a desire to have a new badge created that would be for the new unit. The design that Doug quotes was submitted, but it was not produced. In fact, it drew the ire of a high ranking officer, and was not accepted. The officer in question was P.J. Montague, Maj-Gen. Senior Officer, CMHQ.
In a September 1942 memo to the DQMG, Montague comments:
1. I saw a cable going through regarding the badges for 18 Armoured Car Regt, 4 Cdn Div. Apparently they had never been supplied up to the the time the regiment left and they have now been advised that work on the badges has not started. I saw the design of the badge and it is a very poor one. The re-constituted unit wishes to get out a good design and have it made in this country (the UK) in plastic. The design is a plain buffalo and it is an excellent one which will associate the unit with Manitoba.
2. I wish you personally when you are in Canada, would deal with this and while you are away that the ADQMG would follow this up and facilitate in every way the obtaining of the new plastic badge, referring it to me at any time if there is any delay.
3. At present there are at least a dozen different badges used by the officers and this is very undesireable.
Signed Montague.
The new design of the plain buffalo with the MANITOBA scroll was not acceptable either. The Master General of Ordnance, Maj-Gen J.V. Young, cabled CMHQ, October 28, 1942. He indicated:
Designs of the badges for 18 Armoured Car Regiment conveyed by DQMG resembles too closely badges of 12 Manitoba Dragoons still being worn by Reserve unit therefore cannot be authorized as a new badge for 18 A C R . Suggested as alternative that unit adopt 12 Manitoba Dragoons badges entirely and apply for change in subsidiary title otherwise new design will be required. Reply cable action proposed and state the approximate average cost s of moulds for plastic badges.
Young's argument won, and the 18 Armoured Car Regiment became the 12th Manitoba Dragoons adopting the 12 Manitoba Dragoons insignia.
Attached is the artwork for the proposed design for the 18th Armoured Car Regiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (69.9 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-04-10, 12:26 PM

Well, Thanks Dan and Bill for showing something new and very interesting. How come you guys didn't come up with this subject sooner???.Amazing stuff here.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 11-04-10, 03:02 PM

I told you that a good researcher would have more - way to go, Bill!

Actually, the badge design doesn't look too bad. The skull is still a deal breaker for me, but if that were replaced with a couple of maple leaves I'd call it a winner.
Old 19-07-14, 10:56 PM

Default Fantastic information

Doug and Bill: thank you for this fascinating thread and the photo. Amazing stuff.

That skull badge is ghastly. That's the evil enemy we were fighting, not us. I am glad is was NOT made.

Maybe it's weird for a badge collector to say this, but I wish the badge-a-palooza free-for-all that was the CEF had not happened as it did: I'd prefer to have seen the regiments of the Non-Perm Act Mil mobilised instead in 1914 and 1915 (thank you, Sam Hughes). I'd prefer to have all the "CEF" collections consist of those 1901-20 designs, many of which were stunning, and many of which I have in my collection. I'm of two minds about all those obscure CEF artillery battery or medical company badges that I cannot afford to own: the designs are interesting, but as someone who wants a complete record of Canada's military, they make this hobby unaffordable to all but a few very wealthy people. They also make it that much more likely that people will create repro badges. Likewise, I don't think units like "8th Recce" should have been allowed to make up new (and in their case, boring) badges, when the 14th Canadian Light Horse already had a fantastic badge.
Old 20-07-14, 02:15 AM

This article, co-authored by Bill A, was posted in MilArt last year.
http://servicepub.wordpress.com/2013...ent-cap-badge/
Old 20-07-14, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Drew, the questions and issues of badge design is a fascinating area of research. One needs to understand the history, symbols and motifs used in the badge designs as this explains the badges in context. These designs were not made up willy nilly, and in most cases significant time and effort was put into creating a representation for each unit. Files found at LAC testify to the detailed considerations and strong emotions that were attached to these cloth and metal insignia. The badges are much more than a piece of stamped metal or embroidered cloth.
Old 20-07-14, 07:10 PM

Default Well researched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
This article, co-authored by Bill A, was posted in MilArt last year.
http://servicepub.wordpress.com/2013...ent-cap-badge/
Great article telling the full story.

IMO this was a good outcome, avoiding the nonsense of WWI, with compromise composite battalions. Either regiments should be mobilised, or they shouldn't. If there were too many cavalry regiments (as there were) in Manitoba, then the 12th Man Drag and [18th] Man Mtd Rif should have been properly amalgamated, and the 2nd ACR should have been amalgamated with The Fort Gar Horse. None of them should have been shunted together like this during wartime, or converted to artillery (as happened to so many infantry and cavalry units in the 1936 reorganisation).

Speaking of the prairies . . . it's sad that NONE of the original Saskatchewan cavalry regiments - the 16th, 22nd, 27th, or 29th - exist any more, yet Saskatchewan has an armoured reserve unit (The Sask Dragoons) formed from . . . an infantry regiment. This is the sort of nonsense that shouldn't happen. The current Sask Drag should have been amalgamated, as the [60th] King's Own Rif of Can with the [95th] Reg Rif Regt, thereby forming some sort of "South Sask Regt". The four cavalry units of Saskatchewan should have become "The Sask Light Horse".