British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-22, 11:12 AM

Default Cambs on the wall.

I'm pleased to report that the Cambs are now on the wall, there are a couple of badges still on their way from distant parts, so, I've had to put spares where they will be going, temporarily.

I've also attached a pic of my rather small LSH display, this has never grown much because I found that I'm totally unable to recognise the many fakes that there are. If any have found their way into my little frame, I would rather not know, thankyou, or I may end up throwing the whole lot in the bin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12668.jpg (64.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12673.jpg (72.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12674.jpg (70.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12675.jpg (64.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12676.jpg (65.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12677.jpg (49.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 15-04-22, 11:41 AM

I have been unable to find any example of the ORs bimetal cap badge with SA scroll, despite searching worldwide, or, indeed, another ORs cap badge with rectangular braze slots.

Time may get a mention, of course, but unfortunately, like a few others, perhaps, I'm none too sure how much longer I might remain on the green side of the turf, so I guess that as far as acquiring anything at all is concerned, sooner is much better than later! I have attached several pics of the aforementioned item that is proving a tad difficult to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12624.JPG (43.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12625.JPG (34.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12626.JPG (42.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12627.JPG (43.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12628.JPG (39.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 17-04-22 at 07:11 PM.
Old 15-04-22, 01:18 PM

Default Cambs badges

Chris, as far as I am aware the other ranks all white metal cap badge was not worn until the 1950's long after SA honour scrolls were part of the cap badge.

The silver plated officers version exists as does a gold gilt badge but these were worn prior to the Great War.

Rob
Old 15-04-22, 01:27 PM

As Rob says I think you’re chasing a pink elephant looking for an all WM badge with SA scroll.

Unfortunately there are many badges in this hobby which you cannot purchase on any given day in every week or month of the year. If you own a single example of the SA scroll badge you are a lucky man as very many don’t and never will.

Indeed I remember Rob telling me that it took him 40 years to find the 1950s WM TF badge so your collection in the timeframe is truly remarkable but in this hobby sometimes it’s not always possible to get everything. Even Keith Hook who has been collecting Yeomanry for 70 years has cap badge gaps.

Last edited by Luke H; 15-04-22 at 01:33 PM.
Old 15-04-22, 04:05 PM

Ah, yes, a slip of the pen, I fear, I should have said bimetal rather than white metal, of course, and I certainly don't remember saying, "all" white metal, as seems to be suggested. I did, however, manage to attach the correct pictures of the offending items, this should have shown clearly which badges I was referring to! Funnily enough, I have actually managed to locate one of these badges, since I wrote those words, the seller hasn't got back to me, yet, but I do live in hope!

Last edited by thursdaychris; 17-04-22 at 07:23 PM.
Old 15-04-22, 04:19 PM

Here is the badge, in question, not the best example ever seen, perhaps, but it'll do for the time being, if I can get it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12623.JPG (22.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12666.JPG (20.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 15-04-22, 05:05 PM

Default Cambs with S.A.Hons

Chris, these badges are hard to get hold of, as I have said before in over forty years I have had two and I live on the outskirts of Cambridge, have known many former Cambridgeshire servicemen who served in WWII and were not even aware of this badge's existence as it was really only issued before the Great War to former members of the 3rd VB Suffolk.

Contemporary photographs pre Great War show a mixture of double scrolled badges as well as the single scroll variety, truly a difficult badge to find.

Your collection is fantastic for the time-span involved, but some badges are so rare as Luke says that in a lifetime of collecting you will be lucky even to see some.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 15-04-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 16-04-22, 06:41 AM

Great display, thanks
Old 16-04-22, 06:54 AM

When I started my search for Cambridgeshire insignia, I made a "wants" list out of the webpage " Badges and Insignia - Cambridgeshire 1914 - 18 "
The challenge was to obtain two examples of everything shown on this webpage, and to make haste in the process!

I'm not doing too badly, so far, I have actually added one badge that's not shown, the OSD Suffolk TF, and in the process, I did notice that those also seem to be a bit thin on the ground. I haven't yet found the bimetal ORs badge with SA scroll, mentioned earlier, although I am following up an interesting lead to one of those.

I haven't as yet seen any of the OSD bronze scrolled collar badges, mentioned on the webpage, or any sweethearts, like those, with brooch pins. I have also wondered if any examples of the Battle Patch, worn from June 1917, have survived anywhere, although I must admit that does seem extremely unlikely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12669.JPG (115.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12672.JPG (84.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12671.JPG (92.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12667.JPG (89.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 17-04-22 at 06:57 AM.
Old 24-04-22, 04:38 PM

David Smith has just listed a WW2 plastic economy Cambs in case you’re interested.
Old 24-04-22, 05:11 PM

Many thanks, Luke, I must say, however, that the prices being asked for some of these plastic badges, I find quite extraordinary. Les Martin also has one of these, a bit cheaper, even. My thoughts at present are, that while there are several different metal badges still to be found, the plastic versions, I fear, will need to remain firmly on the back burner.
Old 24-04-22, 05:32 PM

WW2 plastic aren’t my area but I believe the Cambs are quite scare and seem to command a premium.

Les’s one is a fiver cheaper and warped to hell. It is the cellulose acetate equivalent of your scroll TF badge.
Old 24-04-22, 06:13 PM

Prices for some plastic badges reflect their rarity ,

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 24-04-22 at 10:14 PM.
Old 25-04-22, 10:41 AM

Yes, I'm afraid that very rare or not, these do not appeal to me a great deal. I do have a few plastic Suffolk's, which I didn't find that easy to locate, I actually had to get the last one from a dealer in Toronto. There are over a hundred gunbadges in my RA display, but I didn't bother with the plastic versions due, mostly, to the high prices being asked for them, although I have noticed that regimentalbadges have one listed for a mere £195!

Last edited by thursdaychris; 25-04-22 at 10:50 AM.
Old 25-04-22, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
Yes, I'm afraid that very rare or not, these do not appeal to me a great deal. I do have a few plastic Suffolk's, which I didn't find that easy to locate, I actually had to get the last one from a dealer in Toronto. There are over a hundred gunbadges in my RA display, but I didn't bother with the plastic versions due, mostly, to the high prices being asked for them, although I have noticed that regimentalbadges have one listed for a mere £195!
Personal preference of course but in a display or theme I’d rather a complete run or set than a dozens of the same badge. I’m sure the money spent on a few dozen ‘standard’ RA badges even at £5-7 each would add up in excess of the cost of the plastic.

Incidentally £195 is I suspect pretty decent for Bosley’s. I recall hearing of them selling for up to £300 when I first found the forum in 2008.