British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-09, 04:28 PM

Default South Wales Borderers Pagri Badge

Here's one I've finally been able to move from the unknown items box into it's correct family grouping.

It turns out that it's a South Wales Borderers' pagri badge in white metal as worn on the foreign service helmet.

The initial spot came from a friend of mine who collects Monmouth Regiment items (thanks Dave) and who noted a similar example in a photograph of an old collection put together by the late Captain Philippe Durand which in turn came out of papers held by the late Bryn Owen.

The Durand collection was aquired by Glasgow City Council in 1975.

It would appear he was certainly active in the 1930's when his "A Short History Of The Glasgow Volunteers 1859-1908" was published in 1933.

Sadly, no dating information is given on the papers I have. Further research will have to wait until I next get a chance to go to Glasgow.

Unless of course anyone else knows anything more.

Cofion gorau,

41st
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002 - Copy.jpg (103.5 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (103.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 011 - Copy.jpg (63.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 013 (3).jpg (43.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 29-12-09, 05:20 PM

Smile Pagri badge

This is a great piece of information, I have a Suffolk Regt badge which is of similar construction with a pin instead of loops as this badge has. I have never been able to put this badge in any category, although I have suspected it could be a pagri.
Old 30-12-09, 10:16 AM

Sut mae 41st,
Great to see you back contributing with such great detective work.Another piece of the jigsaw puzzle filled in.
Da iawn,
Bantam
Old 30-12-09, 11:07 AM

zut alors, vive Capt Durand !!
Since the SWB was clearly not part of the Glasgow Volunteers might we dare to hope that his papers contained badge information for other British regiments .............
Old 30-12-09, 11:32 AM

Probably mainly of interest to KLR but in correspondence I had with Laurence Archer in 1976 regarding Liverpool Irish collars, Laurence said that Durand " had one in his fairly large collection of Kings Liverpool and described it simply as 8th Bn,officers service dress,black "

In another letter Laurence said " I acquired almost all of Durands notes,manuscripts,photos etc "

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-12-09, 11:36 AM

Bantam,
Da iawn diolch a ti?

KLR,
Galsgow City Council Cultural & Leisure Services, Museums Collecting Policy October 2005 Appendix 1, refers.

The paper refers to his collection as substantial, so hope may spring eternal.

Are you going to use a little museum muscle to have a look at the contents of the collection?

Sorry to hear about David Linnaker.

Cofion gorau,
Old 30-12-09, 12:26 PM

A second big question:
What happened to Archer's material ?

Back to the first; I'll see what I can do !
Old 21-03-22, 10:21 PM

Reviving this old thread.

If Capt. Durand’s collection is still held by City of Glasgow Council that would be quite something.

In my correspondence with Keith Hook he referred to Capt. Durand as the Hugh King of the 1930s and 1940s. Later in 1950s he offered a photographic subscription for collectors showcasing sections of his collection, this was his Artists board is below.

Could be quite a gold mine if anyone ever went and was able to have a look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4A453339-E952-454C-94DB-96BE5A94DC64.jpeg (90.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 22-03-22, 12:02 AM

Would certainly be interested to know if any photographic evidence shows if the initial subject SWB Pagri badge was actually ever worn.
With regard to the Artists collection, I will turn a blind eye to that unfortunate design.

CB
Old 22-03-22, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Reviving this old thread.

If Capt. Durand’s collection is still held by City of Glasgow Council that would be quite something.

In my correspondence with Keith Hook he referred to Capt. Durand as the Hugh King of the 1930s and 1940s. Later in 1950s he offered a photographic subscription for collectors showcasing sections of his collection, this was his Artists board is below.

Could be quite a gold mine if anyone ever went and was able to have a look.
Hi, information which I had back from the museum regarding the Durand collection about 11 years ago.
Cheers,
Dave

Last edited by eddie; 22-01-23 at 12:47 PM.
Old 22-03-22, 08:14 PM

Here is a link to a similar wreathed badge.
Possibly a mess waiter's badge.
John

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ght=Tinto+mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Here's one I've finally been able to move from the unknown items box into it's correct family grouping.

It turns out that it's a South Wales Borderers' pagri badge in white metal as worn on the foreign service helmet.

The initial spot came from a friend of mine who collects Monmouth Regiment items (thanks Dave) and who noted a similar example in a photograph of an old collection put together by the late Captain Philippe Durand which in turn came out of papers held by the late Bryn Owen.

It would appear he was certainly active in the 1930's when his "A Short History Of The Glasgow Volunteers 1859-1908" was published in 1933.

Sadly, no dating information is given on the papers I have. Further research will have to wait until I next get a chance to go to Glasgow.

Cofion gorau,

41st
Old 29-03-22, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post

Cofion gorau,

41st
I have this previously unidentified badge in my collection and now wonder if this is a Yorkshire Regt pagri badge? All info welcomed. Many thanks. Denis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2588.jpg (67.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2589.jpg (88.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 29-03-22, 03:02 PM

That is a very nice badge, but I don't know what it is for. It is the common practice to label badges with brooch fittings as "Pagri" if not "sweetheart", but I do not subscribe to that at all.
Many badges were made in the late 19th C. that were intended for the Pagri but never worn, or have no photo evidence of such use. Others may have actually been worn, but for very short times indeed.
Some badges were converted to brooch fittings by the individual as they may have preferred it to lugs or sliders.
Then there are mess waiters badges, in many cases not official or even recorded and probably paid for by the officer's mess.

CB
Old 29-03-22, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

There was a Yorks pagri but it was adifferent design. There is one in my FSH album with photos of it in use.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=121385
Old 30-03-22, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
There was a Yorks pagri but it was adifferent design. There is one in my FSH album with photos of it in use.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=121385
Many thanks Alan for the photo of your Yorks Pagri which would seem to confirm that mine is something else though I would love to know what - perhaps mess waiter as already suggested?
Regards Denis