British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-14, 06:32 PM

Default Gurkha Army Service Corps

Today,out and about I had a flick through a very interesting book. All about the Army Service Corps and its derivatives.

Anyway,in the Gurkha section.
A really nice colour image of a GASC soldier wearing the Kilmarnock cap with a ...................... Royal Army Service Corps cap badge in it.
The text stated that the RASC badge was worn from formation up until the GASC cap badges were produced and then issued.Im unsure of the length of time that this was but I thought it a very interesting little snippet of knowledge.
Old 30-05-14, 07:35 PM

Mike,
The GASC was formed on the 1st July 1958 in Ne soon from volunteers from the Gurkha infantry regts, under RASC officers and NCO's on secondment. After training 28 & 30 companies GASC were formed. As far as I am aware they wore RASC badges until the GASC cap badge was authourised in 1960 (2 years). The GASC badge was worn until they become the Gurkha Transport Regt in 1965. That picture must be in the 'royal waggoners' book I have yet to see.
Regards
Steve
Old 30-05-14, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Mike,
The GASC was formed on the 1st July 1958 in Ne soon from volunteers from the Gurkha infantry regts, under RASC officers and NCO's on secondment. After training 28 & 30 companies GASC were formed. As far as I am aware they wore RASC badges until the GASC cap badge was authourised in 1960 (2 years). The GASC badge was worn until they become the Gurkha Transport Regt in 1965. That picture must be in the 'royal waggoners' book I have yet to see.
Regards
Steve
That's the book,very well illustrated book.plenty of pictures and plates of cloth and metal badges.Only 403 copies printed apparently.

So to be correct,you should have for the GASC family of badges worn from formation. An RASC qc followed by an GASC qc followed by a GTR qc then a QOGTR qc and finally a QOGLR qc badge.
Obviously if you only have a/a badges in your collection then the QOGLR would be missing.

Last edited by Mike H; 30-05-14 at 11:37 PM.
Old 30-05-14, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
That's the book,very well illustrated book.plenty of pictures and plates of cloth and metal badges.Only 403 copies printed apparently.

So to be correct,you should have for the GASC family of badges worn from formation. An RASC qc followed by an GASC qc followed by a GTR qc then a QOGTR qc and finally a QOGLR qc badge.
Obviously if you only have a/a badges in your collection then the QOGLR would be missing.
Hi Mike,

Nope - The Queen’s Own Gurkha Transport Regiment was authorised by the Army Dress Committee in 1993 and an example is shown in my book.

Regards

Chris
Old 31-05-14, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Mike,

Nope - The Queen’s Own Gurkha Transport Regiment was authorised by the Army Dress Committee in 1993 and an example is shown in my book.

Regards

Chris
So what are you trying to say Chris ?
Old 31-05-14, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
So what are you trying to say Chris ?
Sorry.

That an A/A version of this badge was officially authorised for issue and exists.

Regards

Chris
Old 31-05-14, 12:40 PM

I have never seen a AA QOGTR only the modern bi metal type. Thats one i'll have to look out for.

Regards
Steve
Old 31-05-14, 04:42 PM

Chris, you are writing about an aa QOG Transport R badge existing, while Mike has written that the QOG Logistic R badge is only available in metal. And if you only collect aa badges it (QOGLR) does not belong there.

I may now be totally confused by this thread.

Marc
Old 31-05-14, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I have never seen a AA QOGTR only the modern bi metal type. Thats one i'll have to look out for.

Regards
Steve
Here is an aa QOGTR collar badge by FIRMIN, clutch and pin.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 15-02-22 at 09:19 PM.
Old 31-05-14, 06:40 PM

AA QOGTR badge pictured below for those who have not seen one before

Paddy
Old 31-05-14, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Regards
Steve
Steve,

AAE12 – The Queen’s Own Gurkha Transport Regiment

It is marked J.R.GAUNT B'HAM and is shown on page 283 of my book and yes, it does have the scroll 'QUEENS OWN'.

The badge is owned by a member of this forum.

Regards

Chris
Old 31-05-14, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Chris, you are writing about an aa QOG Transport R badge existing, while Mike has written that the QOG Logistic R badge is only available in metal. And if you only collect aa badges it (QOGLR) does not belong there.

I may now be totally confused by this thread.

Marc
Hi Marc,

The Queen’s Own Gurkha Transport Regiment is available in both A/A (see page 283 of your copy and all the info in the appendices) and 'New Metal'.

The confusion come in in that the NSN allocated to The Queen’s Own Gurkha Transport Regiment badge (both A/A and 'New Metal') was, I believe the same although I have not 100% nailed this down. To confuse matters more it appears that the modern Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment [All Ranks] inherited this NSN.

By the way, Queen’s Own Gurkha Logistic Regiment [All Ranks] comes in two official variants with different pattern No.s.

Regards

Chris
Old 31-05-14, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
AA QOGTR badge pictured below for those who have not seen one before

Paddy
That's the one Paddy!

Regards

Chris
Old 01-06-14, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Mike,
Regards
Steve
A side noteIn 1967 28 Coy was stationed at Whitfield Barracks , Kowloon and the OC was a Major Major.
Old 01-06-14, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Sorry.

That an A/A version of this badge was officially authorised for issue and exists.

Regards

Chris
I know that's why I included it as the last a/a item in the list