British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-08-10, 07:52 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Default Bucks Territorials A/A

Just a query as I was about to purchase one of these but was the Bucks TA 1967ish cap badge actually ever worn?
Matti
Old 06-08-10, 04:49 PM

Do you mean the black anodised Bucks Btn badge Matti ?
Old 07-08-10, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Just a query as I was about to purchase one of these but was the Bucks TA 1967ish cap badge actually ever worn?
Matti
Hi Matti,

From the book:

Buckinghamshire Regiment Royal Artillery (Territorials)

This Regiment was formed in 1967 by parts of 299 and Ox & Bucks LI, disbanded in 1969 as part of the TAVR III disbandment program.

Officially only the dies and initial die samples of the badge were manufactured before the contract to supply was cancelled.

Although these badges are commonly found they are presumed to have been manufactured as unofficial commissions.

A few of these exist as samples (and I mean probably no more than 5 or 6) made by William Dowler & Sons Limited. If it does not have a slider or mark associated with this maker then it in my opinion it will be an unofficial commission which are usually marked J.R. GAUNT B'HAM.

I don't own one and am not looking for one either unless one came my way for a fiver or less.

Regards

Chris
Old 07-08-10, 04:10 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Thank you gentlemen. I won't purchase. So what did they wear?
Matti
Old 07-08-10, 08:38 PM

Hi Guys,

While I remember - the samples were probably not anodised nor colour dyed. I have a sample St. Edwards crown (QC) Highland Light Infantry cap badge which is neither anodised nor dyed being in easily scratchable raw aluminium. This badge was never authorised for issue either although plenty of thin examples exist with lugs more commonly associated with London Badge and Button Co Ltd pieces.

I also have records of the badge Matti describes as being sold for 145GBP some years ago. I don't know who commissioned these (yet) but members here who collect A/A badges of TAVRIII units need to be extremely careful of what they purchase.

Regards

Chris
Old 08-08-10, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

The silver Bucks Territorials is a relatively cheap badge (£7-12). It is the Buckinghamshire Battalion of the Ox and Bucks LI in blackened a/a (not the common BB brass) that is the pricey one.